Food and Booze

rumble phish

BAMF+
Went out to the trees and fucking birds are pecking the rest of the peach crop.. so I picked them a bit early most are 95% ripen and some at 75% I'll have them ripen off the tree..
We always had problems with a Hawaiian chili pepper plant of ours- as soon as the peppers started to turn red, the birds went after them. We used a plastic owl, which helped as long as we moved him every couple of days.

We brought seeds from that plant when we moved, and I'm hoping we can get it going again.

That plant had quite a history- I found it growing wild, and transplanted it to a spot in front of our home for about three years. When I was transferred to another district, we gave it to another officer, who transplanted it to his house. When he transferred to my new district a year or so later, he brought it with him and transplanted it to his new house. He gave us some peppers from it, and we started it again at our new house. And then when I retired, we brought some of the peppers here to Texas, to plant.

The weather's been crazy, and we're still trying to figure out this Texas black soil. None of our pepper plants have been happy so far.
Yep, damn bird got all of our cherries and apricots! There are so many nectarines that they've had their fill and left more than enough on the tree. We're in the same exact boat with the peaches. I picked a bunch yesterday that, like Rhino Rhino said, are about 75 to 90% ripe. What's the best way to ripen them off the tree, other than leaving them in a paper bag?

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Yup. I've been leaving my peaches, and a variety of other things on the counter to ripen. Avocados are another good candidate for this, but be careful. They will turn quickly, so when it's getting near that point, put them in the fridge. That stops the ripening process.

S.C.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I had to get a little creative so I can use the peaches..

20220728_083612.jpg

20220728_083717.jpg

20220728_085635.jpg

20220728_100617.jpg

Then went with a porkchop with peaches and bacon.. accompanied by a truffle oil mashed potatoes. It was like dinner and dessert in one. A keeper recipe

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
It's Italian night ... Sitting and enjoying 5 to 7 hours of eating and drinking wine bottle after bottle discussing life and business is unheard of here. Those places only exist in areas of secrete in NYC ..

Well I bring it to Georgia

Let's start with some Pasta .. we will be using Cuputo 00 flour for our pasta..

20220729_063020.jpg20220729_075215.jpg20220729_075246.jpg20220729_094116.jpg

Oh you didn't see that bowl of truffle oil Parmigiano cheese ricotta... well .. I'm gonna need some Ravioli

20220729_154231.jpg

While I'm at it a dessert is needed ..
So I made some canolli shells and mixed a batch of filling ... crushed pistachio nuts and did a lite powder sugar coating
20220729_162702.jpg
20220729_163415.jpg

Now we eat..20220729_163716.jpg

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I use a hand crank pasta roller, and then put the sheets on a chitarra and press them through with a French rolling pin. The reason? The cutting dies on my genuine eye-tallian pasta roller/cutter doesn't cut worth a shit.

S.C.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Two tri tips in the smoker, green beans blanched and read to toss in with the sweated shallots and garlic, taters in the outside pizza oven, roasting with some whole garlic cloves and quartered onions. Should be tasty.

S.C.
I fucking ruined the tri tips. They picked up way too much smoke, and dried the fuck up. Absolutely horrible. $40 of awesome beef wasted. I'll turn it into breakfast hash. If that is inedible, it goes in the trash. The green beans were fine. The taters done in the outside pizza over burned. Why? Because after finally fixing the issue with the hose/regulator, that fucker really gets hot now. I walked away for a couple minutes. That's all it took.

Bottom line, massive failure.

S.C.

rumble phish

BAMF+
What did you have for lunch today? Sometimes, it's nice to keep it simple and kick it old school.

Smooth peanut butter on a nice, soft oat and berry wheat bread, with some lime and jalapeño Ruffles on the side and a nice tall glass of blueberry iced tea :up:

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Fucking hell! I just gnawed through three ears of corn and a shitload of one of the birds. The rest of the corn and a whole bird are now at Kate’s son’s house. They are big fans of the smoked birds so they got their own this time.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Pulled a bunch of basil off the plants this afternoon. I think Rhino Rhino would approve.

I've made pesto from scratch many times. I just do my own thing and it always comes out great. This time, I used this recipe, and doubled it.

Ingredients

It was way too thick, and too salty for my liking. I upped the olive oil by about another half cup, which gave me the consistency I wanted. Then I added more pine nuts, because, fuck you. It ended up being fucking spot on. After it's had a day to settle, it will be even better.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Had a hail storm come through as I had a pie in the oven. Power went out ..Gen started but then soon shut off as power came back

In the 9 minuets the bad part of the storm was going by I was outside searching for tornadoes...

The oven must have went out. Restated then went out and restated cause the top of my pie to burn..

I saved it by cutting the top off and letting the rest to finish baking.. I'll serve the open pie with ice cream. :)

20220806_185948.jpg

WARREN

BAMF+
I fucking ruined the tri tips. They picked up way too much smoke, and dried the fuck up. Absolutely horrible. $40 of awesome beef wasted. I'll turn it into breakfast hash. If that is inedible, it goes in the trash. The green beans were fine. The taters done in the outside pizza over burned. Why? Because after finally fixing the issue with the hose/regulator, that fucker really gets hot now. I walked away for a couple minutes. That's all it took.

Bottom line, massive failure.

S.C.
to make great BBQ, you have to have made some total dog shit bbq.
my second last batch of ribs....absolute perfection.....
last batch....fucking give em to the dogs.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
A decent but no prize winner mac and cheese

20220810_192640.jpg

A very good smoked Brisket..

20220810_192634.jpg

20220810_192644.jpg

But this gem is hands down the best I ever eaten.. including the version I make

20220810_192638.jpg

The chef was kind enough to show me his kitchen and what he uses to make it but didn't let me see the exact preparation on making these

Kirk

BAMF
Had to redeem last night's horseshit margarita with one of my own making tonight. So simple. So perfect.
Just some (a lot) of Cuervo Tradicional, juice of two fresh limes, and agave nectar to taste, shaken and then poured over fresh ice.
Motherfucker 👍
A-freekin'-men. Margaritas are not made in a blender, and they're not made with pre-made green goop that tastes like a blend of corn syrup and battery acid.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
A-freekin'-men. Margaritas are not made in a blender, and they're not made with pre-made green goop that tastes like a blend of corn syrup and battery acid.
I partially agree. But Tres Amigos makes a mix which isn’t full of garbage and actually requires refrigeration after opening. Check that one out.

Kirk

BAMF
Here's a song that we learned while doing a musical pub crawl in the Temple Bar District in Dublin Ireland.

The song makes no sense, unless you know the purported history behind it, relating to a beer drought in Ireland, which obviously would be a national emergency. To address this, a large amount of cider (what is called "hard" cider in America) was hastily loaded into a ship, in used whisky barrels. The cider had not yet finished fermenting, and by the time it arrived in Ireland, it was like rocket fuel, which caused a lot of problems. The name of the cider was "Johnny Jump Up":

Last edited:

Kirk

BAMF
The ciders in the U.S. tend to be sugary, fizzy, and low-alcohol. In the U.K. and Ireland, they tend to be drier, not fizzy, and higher alcohol.

My favorite cider of that style, that I can find here in the U.S., is "The Bad Apple", a 10.5% oak barrel aged cider made by 2 Towns Ciderhouse. It's available in bombers for about $8, and I recommend no more than about two or three of them, unless you want to become a new verse in the "Johnny Jump Up" song.

Top Bottom