Food and Booze

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Lentil Soup/Porridge with Smoked Ham

One lb. cold rinsed Lentils:

8 cups Roasted Garlic, Ham, Chicken broth, from jars of concentrated soup starter:

One large whole Sweet Onion, minced on mandolin slicer, sauteed in 2 tablespoons coconut oil, 1 tablespoon bacon grease, 1 tablespoon unsalted butter:

Saute onion until just browning, add hot broth, pour in lentils, add maybe 1/4 lb small chunks of hickory smoked ham of high quality.
I shake in a bit of Cavender's Greek seasoning, a few shakes of Frank's Hot Sauce, Fresh ground Black Pepper to taste.
1 tablespoon of minced garlic, 1 tablespoon of ginger paste stirred in.

Cook 15-20 minutes on low fire covered, until lentils soften enough to mash with spoon:

With heat still on, break out immersion blender and get busy blending contents to desired consistency:

To my taste:

Stir in 2 tablespoons of pure cane sugar, then stir in 1 and a 1/2 or 2 cups of Pinot Grigio:

Add large chunks of Smoked Ham, I'll go with 1 to sometimes 2 lbs. more can be added later if desired:

Remove from heat and allow to steep for a couple of hours and then ladle yourself a serving.

It's even better the next day.

Reheat on low heat and stir often as it will burn if left unattended...

...I've had to learn that two or four times in the past.

I can eat on this batch for a week, by myself, four days if I have to share it with others.

EDIT: BTW, this stuff will oxidize on the top layer after sitting.
Just stir it up as you reheat it as it won't hurt you.

Last edited:

Wretch

amazingly graceful
The soup ends up with a buttery/nutty/subtle hint of sweetness flavor.
The Frank's comes through lightly but without the heat.
Smokiness of the roasted garlic and ham is there too.
The sweetness, I suspect, is more from the onion than the small amount of sugar, by volume, added to curb the natural bitterness of the lentils.

Very complex flavors for such a simple dish.

Texture is like a thin cream of wheat but, it will thicken up after a few reheats and thins easily just by adding water.

Wretch

amazingly graceful

Daylight peeking and the fire gets lit:

Coal snake arranged and wet applewood chips placed:

Grill loaded, Game On!

Twenty minutes later, spin/flip the rib rack closest to the heat, check moisture,
rinse and repeat six more times, mist lightly with liquid magic as needed:

Ribs ready for next phase:

Next phase of process.
Thanks Stites!:

Three more hours and they should be done...

...pictures of finished product later today...

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Well, they were passable but, not my best effort...

Mistakes were made:
Too long in the last stage, didn't turn enough on last stage, too much Old Bay, didn't allow rub enough time to marinate.

It wasn't a total loss, they still were good eating but, as mentioned, not my best work.

Good I have another rack to try again next weekend so I can pay a little closer attention.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
I tried a new method of pan searing steak yesterday and it wasn't great.

So, the directions called for high heat but I only set it to medium-high.
Checked with my laser thermometer and it read 750* at one point.
Then, "high" after that :eek:

Fully tested my kitchen smoke alarm (it works!)

But the results were not great.
The top of the steak tasted burnt.
The insides were a little more done than I liked but that's an easy fix next time.
The big piece for me and six small pieces for the two dogs.

I did not like the burnt taste on the exterior.

Is it the medium-high heat or the lack of any oil/butter that caused that?
I've never cooked a steak with a dry pan before.

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
Graduation party for a friend's daughter. They brought in a great food truck to handle all the cooking. Just fantastic street tacos with your choice of pork, steak, brisket, chorizo, or chicken, along with the best Birria tacos I've ever had. And of course, "gringo" tacos for those less adventurous with Taco Bell palates.

I ate until the food coma and sweats hit. It was that good, I couldn't stop.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I tried a new method of pan searing steak yesterday and it wasn't great.

View attachment 98927

So, the directions called for high heat but I only set it to medium-high.
Checked with my laser thermometer and it read 750* at one point.
Then, "high" after that :eek:

Fully tested my kitchen smoke alarm (it works!)

But the results were not great.
The top of the steak tasted burnt.
The insides were a little more done than I liked but that's an easy fix next time.
View attachment 98928
The big piece for me and six small pieces for the two dogs.

I did not like the burnt taste on the exterior.

Is it the medium-high heat or the lack of any oil/butter that caused that?
I've never cooked a steak with a dry pan before.
Season/Re-season that skillet.

Don't go 4 minutes.

In a skillet? I like to go three minutes max but, in fat butter/bacon grease/ lard, properly seasoned, after I let it rest a couple of minutes and then eat that fucker!

I do like my steak blue though.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
.made some cheese steaks

First some bread was needed ... you do bake your own bread right

IMG_20220530_132500_823.jpg

I'll need a few steaks

IMG_20220530_183233_430.jpg

Then add some onions on the thin sliced NY strip.

20220530_175801.jpg

I think I'll need some Portobello as well..

20220530_175821.jpg

Melt some provolone cheese and Enjoy

IMG_20220530_183936_011.jpg

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I used to go to a place up in Spanish Harlem called Lechonera La Isla... excellent people where the chef let me cook with him so I could learn proper Spanish rice... Well Chef... you would be proud I surpassed your dish..

The start of the correct way to "build your rice"

20220702_200626.jpg

My ARIBIA ARIBA CHICKEN

20220702_204301.jpg

Oh why did I pick this place. Ya make friends ... throw a few free pizzas at the farmers and they drop off cases of fresh vegetables for you..

20220702_163012.jpg

Wretch

amazingly graceful
The toasting of the rice makes a huge difference in flavor.
Washing/rinsing seems to make little difference when toasting the rice but, makes a huge difference when you just throw it in a rice cooker or cook it traditionally.

I learned it from my daughter's mother and have modify the flavors with a few changes of vegetables and spices used.

Coconut oil works out best for me and won't scorch quickly like butter will but, I still add a little butter at the end of the toasting,
right before adding the stock/broth, I like to use chicken, to finish cooking the rice.
Vidalia onions and sometimes jalapeno but, usually bell peppers; depending on what I'm pairing the rice with.

The rice is only once in a while any more though, since it fucks with my allergies.

I'm still working out how best to cook wild rice, which does not fuck with me.
The chicken broth/stock does help make it have a creamier texture/flavor though.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I went out with some friends that visited they took me to a Korean BBQ place that only had Wagu.. they had Americain, Australian, and Japanese.. the prices where Americian being the cheapest and Japanese the most expensive... the price reflected the price but even the Americian version was better then any steak house meat I ever had. That Japanese stuff was on another level all together

After that meal all other red meat is just meat.

BigGar

high on placebo
I've only tried wagyu once. Too fatty tasting for me. Maybe wasn't prepared properly.
This looked pretty fatty but with incredibly perfect marbling.
I'm not sure how he cooked it on the grille, he had a mat or a pan along with the regular grid but I wasn't watching.
It ended up medium rare to rare and he just sliced it into little bite sized strips that we all had a few of.
The taste and texture were different than any beef I'd ever had. I'm sure the fat content was high, but it didn't reflect in the taste.
I'm not sure he used any seasoning but maybe a little salt.

WARREN

BAMF+
I have a pork shoulder going on tomorrow a.m. for some friday pulled pork sliders on Hawaiian buns.
Think I'll knock out a smoked queso as well.

Keeping charcoal dialed in is tedious, but I just havent decided on a pellet set up yet.20220706_192716.jpg

Last edited:
OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I have a pork shoulder going on tomorrow a.m. for some friday pulled pork sliders on Hawaiian buns.
Think I'll knock out a smoked queso as well.

Keeping charcoal dialed in is tedious, but I just havent decided on a pellet set up yet.
I used the girlfriend's electric smoker. Thing works like a charm. Just toss some soaked wood chips in about once an hour, and that's it. I've smoked on my big Weber and my BGE, both of which require lots of attention.

Since the last couple hours were no smoke, I took advantage of the final thirty minutes to toss in some corn, husks on. It was excellent. I put nothing on my corn on the cob. Good, fresh corn needs nothing.

S.C.

Anal Disco

"Disco, Anal Disco"
I used the girlfriend's electric smoker. Thing works like a charm. Just toss some soaked wood chips in about once an hour, and that's it. I've smoked on my big Weber and my BGE, both of which require lots of attention.

Since the last couple hours were no smoke, I took advantage of the final thirty minutes to toss in some corn, husks on. It was excellent. I put nothing on my corn on the cob. Good, fresh corn needs nothing.

S.C.
What temps were you at?

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
While at the Lodge cast iron factory which is 12 miles from my house I picked up a 15 inch cast iron pizza plate ...

I did a side by side comparison with a 18 inch pizza stone and 15 inch cast iron pizza plate.

My findings...

Pizza stone is very consistent and give a much better over all taste and doneness

Cast irion.. gave me slightly burnt under crust.. yet not done ouster cust.. basically Temps are too hot on the bottom and too cold on tip.

Bbq was at 750 degrees during cooking.

20220707_141113.jpg

Top is the cast Iron bottom the Stone.

Cast iron also cause a burn on the side of the stone pizza from hot temperatures too close to the stone.

20220707_145202.jpg

I stick with pizza stones ..

20220707_154729.jpg

I'll do another test next time I do pizzas but use a 550 degree oven.. and see if the results are better using a cast irion at that temp.. 550 Is NOT hot enough for the pizza stone so I already know home ovens and stones aren't the best combination..

Pizza stones also do a very good Chicken roll..

20220707_154614.jpg

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Rhino, I'm thinking that it's the thinness of the Lodge pizza pan that could be the issue. What about this?..... Put the pizza stone in the oven, and then the Lodge pan on top of the stone. Just a curiosity I have. I'm assuming the stone is more heat stable than the iron, but the iron does have some of that quality itself. So maybe pairing them up could yield something even better than the stone alone.

S.C.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Current trend is pizza steels are replacing pizza stones. YMMV (these are with ovens, not fire.)
I recently watched something completely opposing that, but I'm not picking sides. I think it all comes down to individual scenarios. Ovens vary, temperature outside the oven, temp of the stones or irons before the pizza is tossed on them, etc. There's lots of variables which can impact how the pizza comes out, so the best bet is to experiment and document what works and does not work.

S.C.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
The taste and firmness was totally opposite .. the stone pizza was a true nyc pizza while the steel was a softer yet burnt crust.

I'll give the combo a try ..

I just used the steel in the oven to warm two slices up and it does an excellent job there

OMEGA

BAMF
My dogshit connection can’t handle this thread, bummer, this recteq bullseye I got can smoke all day in the 200’s or sear the fuck out of anything you want at 750+ it feels like cheating.
For you guys running pellets, try the bear mountain gourmet bbq, yellow bag, absolute game changer.

BigGar

high on placebo
My dogshit connection can’t handle this thread, bummer, this recteq bullseye I got can smoke all day in the 200’s or sear the fuck out of anything you want at 750+ it feels like cheating.
For you guys running pellets, try the bear mountain gourmet bbq, yellow bag, absolute game changer.
My home grille is shot to hell and it's time for something new. I'm torn between a Traeger setup and something that can sear the fuck out of anything I want. Looks like you've got exactly what I'm looking for. Do they offer a built-in option as I'm going to build out an outdoor kitchen. I stubbed everything in way back when I put my pool in a dozen years ago. Gas, Electric, Sewer, hot and cold water all ready to go.

OMEGA

BAMF
No this wouldn’t work as a built in setup, but everyone I know that’s heavy into this and has a 5k built in setup still got one anyway to supplement and end up using it more than anything else. It has no competition in the industry for what it is and does.

Top Bottom