Florida begins arming teachers as large school districts rebuff controversial program

luckystrike

Preferred pronouns: they, them, your excellencies
Website
lemonparty.org
This is dangerous

I remember my son telling me when he was in high school, that at any given moment 3/4's of a class wasn't paying attention because their nose was buried in their phones, the other 1/4 didn't bother showing up

If I were an armed teacher I'd lose my shit and start plugging the students :fu:

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as "ill fuK anything" lucystrike
my brothers told me that their classmates always had phones out. If I was a teacher... they'd be in a basket outside in the hall.

luckystrike

Preferred pronouns: they, them, your excellencies
Website
lemonparty.org
my brothers told me that their classmates always had phones out. If I was a teacher... they'd be in a basket outside in the hall.
...and expose yourself to the liability of denying the precious angels their parent-child security blanket? Good luck with that

I like my solution better

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as "ill fuK anything" lucystrike
...and expose yourself to the liability of denying the precious angels their parent-child security blanket? Good luck with that
I like my solution better
you could always get a cell phone jammer...lol

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
in other news... FL teachers are getting a big raise!!
Excellent.... how much did the property school tax raise? Any fucking time the Freeport long island school districts needed new pencils they raised property school tax. I was paying $11k a year just in school tax in a SHITTY school district.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Excellent.... how much did the property school tax raise? Any fucking time the Freeport long island school districts needed new pencils they raised property school tax. I was paying $11k a year just in school tax in a SHITTY school district.

The lottery earnings was supposed to pay for schools, of course after the 95% Florida Lottery Commissions administration fees, the schools get a couple dollars.

Stetson

BAMF
When I went to high school, during hunting season we had to leave hunting rifles in the assistant principal's office. He didn't want students leaving them in gun racks in trucks in the parking lot. His reasoning was townies might come and steal your rifle while you were in school if you left it in your truck.

rumble phish

BAMF+
This is a great idea... until it isn't. And when it goes bad, and it eventually will, it'll go spectacularly bad. And that'll give the anti-gunners that last piece of the puzzle they need to go into full confiscation mode.

I was one who defended such an idea at first, until I had some time to reflect on it. Now, I think it's a completely insane idea.

LE05BUSA

GFY
The biggest problem is that people will never accept that some will die. You can't save everyone, nor should you expect to. Nobody is worse at protecting people than the government. Adults die, kids die, innocents die, monsters die...shit happens. We make more humans and we move on.

The biggest problem is that people will never accept that some will die. You can't save everyone, nor should you expect to. Nobody is worse at protecting people than the government. Adults die, kids die, innocents die, monsters die...shit happens. We make more humans and we move on.
Needlessly callous, but you do you.

I most certainly disagree with the "government is bad at protecting people" bit. The FDA has regulated food and drug safety to make things safe to consume - saving countless lives. The many healthcare related regulations by alphabet agencies like CMS and CDC have mandated policies for safety - saving millions of lives. Airline regulations (from which healthcare borrows from) - saves countless lives. EPA regulating waste disposal so you can drink safe tap water and not live next to a mercury dump site from the local factory - saves countless lives. Federal automobile regulations for crash safety - saves countless lives. Is the government good at protecting you from getting stabbed in a road rage incident? Not really, but imagine how backwards society would be if everyone adhered to the "well shit happens, we'll just make more people" attitude. I'm glad some people do care, because we're enjoying the quality of life benefits that results from it on a daily basis.

I'm perplexed why you went on that rant replying to a thread about arming teachers to stop school shootings...but you do you.
I responded to a statement you made, related to the thread topic, but I'm happy to clarify further-

I disagree with the prevailing right-wing sentiment whereby folks simply shrug their shoulders and say "c'est la vie" and "we'll make more humans" as basis for their inaction. I disagree with lumping mass shootings, which are deliberate acts of terrorism, with things like car accidents and heart disease, as if the two are remotely comparable. I say this because society as a whole doesn't progress when complacency is the priority and I cited examples to support that.

Too early to tell if arming FL teachers is a good or bad move - if the people are properly licensed and trained and want to take on the responsibility of having a firearm in the classroom, then I can certainly support Florida for at least trying to do something that might might prevent the next school shooting.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
An armed teacher won't do a thing to prevent a school shooting. All they can do is react after one happens.

quiver

BAMF
dunno about a raise if they are not allowed to teach instead of babysit a bunch of kids that have no goals, no mind of beyond tomorrow, no long term vision of what their life could be.
instead of being ignorant hood rats living off a system that pays social benefits per child.

my nephew is a history teacher and football coach. yeah, it's a southern thing.
at any rate, he has thousands of hours of training. thousands of rounds through several various caliber weapons.

I trust him with my life.

however, I question about his love or his judgement of a spouse. but that 4'-11 3/4" and 335 pound chick must have some magic stuff.
she had the lap band thing and was in the 140 pound neighborhood.
got that engagement rock on her hand and gained 200 pounds in a fucking year.
i dunno, it is an overtold story that is full of icky stuff that makes me cringe
please accept my apologies for being so unknid about his wife.
I have to be polite because she is his choice, and I feel a need to be respectful.

but jesus that lazy ass woman. her mama didn't teach her the need to be fiscally responsible and work all day every day for what they want.
her mother is an evangelist. acccck bum.
she wants a Michael kors purse but doesn't understand how many hours of your work pay goes to pay for such extravagant expenses.
instead of expecting shit to be handed to their inordinately large asses.

please do accept my apologies for saying all that shite out loud. but I think my head would have exploded otherwise.

no guns allowed spaces like schools are a target for illegal weapon carriers for that very reason.

civilian peoples are not as trained as the military, however, efficiently qualified, trained personnel have been serving and protecting this country for over 200 years.

Last edited:

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
"I disagree with the prevailing right-wing sentiment... "

LoL
... and nobody says "c'est la vie", i don t know what faggots you hang with but i haven t heard that since I drove thru gay Paris. What a flake...

Stetson

BAMF
Potentially. OTOH, knowing that CC is legal for teachers in a certain school district may be just enough to dissuade someone to try for an easier target.
Kids that go to school there might do what they're fucking told, too. Win win.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Back when I was in school, there were plenty of teachers who could deal out punishment, or the threat thereof! We didn't mouth off to the teachers (in front of them) and didn't go on shooting spree's.

quiver

BAMF
i'll control my guns
you control your f-ing kids and put the effort into and support me,
while we make them act right all day everyday.

how did we go from a country where my brothers rode the school bus with shot guns and rifles in hand to buy, sell or trade at school

we were allowed to think for ourselves. we were taught that our actions had consequences

we suffered those consequences, good, bad or indifferent. we fucked up, we learned, did it again and yet we learned moved on or not.
held the hands of those in need. did the best we could and moved on..

Last edited:
Top Bottom