Fire ants?

Stetson

BAMF
I've dealt with fire ants in Florida and Puerto Rico, and I'm super happy we don't have them in Maine. Fuck those tiny assholes. Good luck.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
One mound of fire ants does not a problem make.

Hell, even a thirty mounds isn't a problem...

...it's that ones you don't notice, until a platoon of the fuckers have climbed up your legs to your knees and give the signal to bite all at once, that the problem begins.

Cue picture of MC's legs...

Wretch

amazingly graceful
The county extension agent recommended boiling water and lots of it so, turkey fryer burner and pot nearby would be instant death fun.

Otherwise, good bait type poisons work pretty well. Bayer made some good stuff a few years back, looked like ground up Frito's.

Most of the poisons just make them move the nest a few feet away.

I am in Texas and they are everywhere except my yard. Use this and they go away for 5 to 6 months.

Used this one as well they both work -- ants are gone in 24 hours.

Vegas12

BAMF+
One mound of fire ants does not a problem make.

Hell, even a thirty mounds isn't a problem...

...it's that ones you don't notice, until a platoon of the fuckers have climbed up your legs to your knees and give the signal to bite all at once, that the problem begins.

Cue picture of MC's legs...

Quite the nature's mystery.....if one bit at a time, you might be able to save yourself.

How they communicate to attack at once is genius yet suicidal.....

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Looked at one property in Florida the entire 5 acre property where covered with mounds. Pass

Rocco

BAM
I've used the easily available Amdro for fire ants with success. It's a bait/ insecticide that kills them off from the inside of the nest. Sometimes you have to follow with drenching the nest . There are few natural mixtures you can use for drenching.

OP
Austin_F

Austin_F

BAMF+
I bought the bag of amdro, says to wait until evening.

The contact killer doesn't seem like it would get to the queen, so I bought the slow acting bait.

OP
Austin_F

Austin_F

BAMF+
After I kill the mounds I'll do the whole yard.

They aren't supposed to be here, Iowa isn't listed as a known state because they can't survive the freezing temps.

Apparently they can if they are deep enough. First year getting them though.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
The worst is when they are in Ninja mode and you don't see them until it is too late. This is only part on my leg, the bites went all the way around. You just have to walk it off, can't scratch the bites no matter how much you want to.
The fire ants come and go. Some years I'll have a bunch, some years none at all.

Stetson

BAMF
You people that live around fire ants: Are they ever randomly walking around in your house, like, you're watching tv and one bites you on the foot just to be a cunt? Both my experiences with them were outside on vacation. Are they an outside pest only?

Master-Cylinder

You people that live around fire ants: Are they ever randomly walking around in your house, like, you're watching tv and one bites you on the foot just to be a cunt? Both my experiences with them were outside on vacation. Are they an outside pest only?
I've never seen them in any building.

I've never seen them in any building.
Oh yes they will get into them if the nest is large enough and say say next to a foundation they go into weep holes seen it happen. I have been plowing and gone over mounds over a foot tall and 24 inches in diameter. Coming back on the next pass, a mound that big looks like the ground is moving where it was there are so many boiling out of the ground. The FUNNY part is a red ant "bald spot" with a hole in the ground will be 40 feet from the fire and mound. Guess they can live together.

Now if you are in your own back yard and there is an art to this so you do not get stung is to pee on the mound a few times! They hate it and when the mound as it frequently is next to concrete like a deck or sidewalk it is easy to see if they are active. When you hit them with a stream of urine the dirt will collapse on the mound and out they come pissed off. Got to learn to lean forward a little and watch your feet because they are not happy. Usually takes 4 or 5 times and the are gone.

The worst is when they are in Ninja mode and you don't see them until it is too late. This is only part on my leg, the bites went all the way around. You just have to walk it off, can't scratch the bites no matter how much you want to.
The fire ants come and go. Some years I'll have a bunch, some years none at all.

View attachment 39052
Mine were almost that bad. In 1982 when the fire ants were just showing up here I was on the Trinity river levee in Ft Worth area helping a buddy un-sink his Jeep. I had no idea what a fire ant mount looked like AND IT WAS 3AM. Put my knee's down on one hooking up a tow cable (summer had on shorts). Yes they are painful and when the pustules formed after 24 hours they itched like crazy! One of my friends dad was a dentist and I had some of his old dental pics/scrapers used them to clean tough to get areas in firearms with a patch wadded up anyway broke the pustules with that and applied alcohol then that "pink stuff" Calamine lotion for bites and itches that my grandmother used on me but that helped it to go away quickly.

The pustules after being mashed out drain some but dried up with no issues after a couple of days. Look like a goober with pink legs from the lotion but beats itching. (:

Rocco

BAM
When you hit them with a stream of urine the dirt will collapse on the mound and out they come pissed off. Usually takes 4 or 5 times and the are gone.

"If" the urine is acidic. Acidic urine is not far from the mixtures of kitchen vinegar and water used to kill red ants.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
☝

I think about shit like this when I'm shoveling snow, and I don't mind it as much.
I'm lucky, I've only had a couple of small fire ant mounds here in 15 years. A little granulated ant poison and they went away.

And my wife can't believe it when I go out to shovel snow wearing only my bluejeans , work boots and a t-shirt. On a sunny, 25 degree day, that's all I need. Shoveling snow keeps me warm!

OP
Austin_F

Austin_F

BAMF+
Yes one mound has little tiny red ants around. There is another mound with huge black ants.

OP
Austin_F

Austin_F

BAMF+
They work fast too.

This mound wasn't there when I laid down for a nap 2 hours ago.

IMG_20200628_173905.jpg

ZRX4ME

BAMF
used amdro with great success. now I pay a company to treat lawn with fertilizer/pre emergent weed killer/weed killer and bug stuff. No more ants and bugs. Worth the $$.

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler

View attachment 39052
How the fuck did you have so many on you and not feel it until they al stung you?

Master-Cylinder

How the fuck did you have so many on you and not feel it until they al stung you?
Because I was kneeling in the wet grass next to my pond. They are so tiny you don't really feel them, especially in 4~5 inch tall wet grass. Stood up and they all bit within a second of each other. When one bites, it signals the others to bite. I could't brush them off fast enough. Got a couple bites on my hand, some got knocked into my boot.

Mr. L------They boil out of the ground on the bigger nests. Have to see it to believe it and the ants are densely packed very close to the top of the mound so they can react quickly. When we kill feral hogs the other feral hogs, coyotes, buzzards and yes the Fire Ants will pick a carcass clean right down to the bone. The fire ants even will drag off strands of hair.

Last edited:
OP
Austin_F

Austin_F

BAMF+
I know it's ants because the little red devil's are all around the mound.

I've dealt with moles before. The moles don't bring up fresh earth and lay it on top. It's a tunnel that kind of pops the grass up. If you don't see it right away the grass dies and you have a zigzag line of dead grass.

These are definitely ants although they are the very tiny ones that you have to stare hard to even see them. But once you see them you realize they are all over.

I know it's ants because the little red devil's are all around the mound.

I've dealt with moles before. The moles don't bring up fresh earth and lay it on top. It's a tunnel that kind of pops the grass up. If you don't see it right away the grass dies and you have a zigzag line of dead grass.

These are definitely ants although they are the very tiny ones that you have to stare hard to even see them. But once you see them you realize they are all over.
Look at the dirt in the above link. THAT is what a mound made by fire ants looks like. You have something else just not fire ants I am sure of it.

OP
Austin_F

Austin_F

BAMF+
You may be right but from looking online they aren't all huge like that.

Here's more pictures that look like what I have.

Plus like I said. Lots of tiny red ants.

Screenshot_20200629-062649_Opera.jpgScreenshot_20200629-062612_Opera.jpg

Agree the 2 pictures above look like fire and mounds, see how fine the dirt is? No absolutely all mounds are not big. They are like anything else insects build, it take time and real estate for the little bastids to make giant mounds. The 2 you have above are larger than anything I have ever had in my yard because I kill them out. Rain especially long protracted events will make them move around. Hell they even float in huge colonies in floods. The most resilient, horrid pest I have come across.

Above when I was talking about the plow going through huge mounds in fields this video is of a small mound that they used firecrackers to torment :). Reason I am posting this you can see that in the WARM weather how close the ants are to the surface. Note the number of male and virgin queens are close to the surface. The winged ones really stick out when you overturn a monster mound!

Last edited:

CID

BAMF+
amdro makes a hose sprayer and a fire ant granule. Use the hose spray first, it'll kill most of ants in your yard pretty quick and it's great for a large area cover. After you spray,,,, if the queen(s) get away and you see new hills -- #1 rule -- never stomp on the mound. They freak out and sometimes will move the queen. Thats where the granule comes in.... sprinkle the grains around the mound and they'll feed the poison to the queen and the youngins.

The sprayer stuff is da bomb. I can use that granule shit for a week trying to hunt down where the queen is-- like on a large patio you might get a hole but cant find the 'real' nest thats somewhere out in the yard.... spray that amdro yard spray and it soaks into the patio stones. Poof. no more ants in patio OR yard.

OP
Austin_F

Austin_F

BAMF+
Thanks for the tip. I laid the granules out last night.

Some sites say not to use the instant kill first because the ants below ground will avoid it and move the queen.

They say use the bait for a week then go nuclear on the yard.

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
A old guy told me about swapping the tops of the mounds and they'd fight each other till the death of both colonies. I tried it and it worked too
Yep. Confirmed by me. It's what I do when I run out of this...

Works for the queen and the drones. Kills everything in about 30 minutes. You don't have to "water" it like the granules. Light dusting (looks like powder sugar) and done.

I've tried lot's of methods and products. Swapping piles is the easiest and cheapest. All you need is a shovel. Be quick though... those little bastards know to climb the handle and go for your hands. Quickest is the Ortho. I've tried everything Lowe's and Home Depot has and it is consistently the quickest and most effective. My experience is with LA fire ants. I am gathering that TX fire ants are something else. Maybe similar, but not the same. Not sure about FL fire ants.

DavidDole

BAMF+
Yep. Confirmed by me. It's what I do when I run out of this...

Works for the queen and the drones. Kills everything in about 30 minutes. You don't have to "water" it like the granules. Light dusting (looks like powder sugar) and done.

I've tried lot's of methods and products. Swapping piles is the easiest and cheapest. All you need is a shovel. Be quick though... those little bastards know to climb the handle and go for your hands. Quickest is the Ortho. I've tried everything Lowe's and Home Depot has and it is consistently the quickest and most effective. My experience is with LA fire ants. I am gathering that TX fire ants are something else. Maybe similar, but not the same. Not sure about FL fire ants.
Use two shovels! :D

Top Bottom