Failed ignition switch ?

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
Went riding with the wife and stopped by a pub for a pint. We stayed there like an hour or so as we dranked , sitting outside. Frpm.where we sat i could see my bike but not the wife.. it was like 8 feet away but out of vue, at 1 pm in the afternoon.. boyh bikes about 50 feet from us..

When we got to the bikes after the beer, the wife couldn't start the Gladius.. the key switch was like it wasn't the right key... i thought rusty jammed ket switch so i went to get a can of sillicone lube but still no go.. had to get trailer and to get back home..tried the other key, same thing...

Are suzook key switches prone to just jam like that ?

All other stuff like underseat and gas cap keylocks work fine..

The bike is pretty low mileage so it can't be wear.. and is always in a heated garage.. never gets left in the rain.

A new key lock kit is pretty pricy so i spoke to a locksmith and will have him fix it.. one question he asked was " is there a chance somebody screwed with the lock?"..that i can't answer with a 100% no... but more than fairly unlikely..

OP
fr0st

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
Somebody squirt Crazy Glue in it?
Thats what i thought too.

But i'd imagine the glue would have dried up and prevent the key from going all the way in?

It goes it and i can even push further , you know to lock the handle bars .

It does exacly like i dont have the right key

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Shoot some WD40 in there yet?

Flip the key over or is it toothed the same on both edges?

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
When ever I service a motorcycle or scooter, I lube the locks with Marvel Mystery Oil. WD40 is pretty much useless as a lubricant.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
When ever I service a motorcycle or scooter, I lube the locks with Marvel Mystery Oil. WD40 is pretty much useless as a lubricant.
WD40 is meant as a solvent in case it is glued somehow.

I use white lithium grease in an aerosol can for normal lubing...

...because, I'm racist like that.

Bandit Man

BAMF
Allbof my Suzukis have had funky ignitions. Most of the time I had to jiggle it just right to get them to turn. Sometimes with the SV I had to pick up on the key just a little as I turned it to get it to turn.

Take a look at the key itself, see if it's bent or damaged in some way. I guess it's possible someone tried jamming a screwdriver into the ignition, but I highly doubt that. The fact that you can push the key in all the way rules out that someone was trying to vandalize the bikes.

Sounds like the lock simply failed.

I've seen quite a few jacked up ignitions too.
Using a locksmith cut key, or having too much weight on the key ring are major culprits.
Usually the area around the key will be all scratched up too, by a key ring swingin' in the wind.

OP
fr0st

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
Take a look at the key itself, see if it's bent or damaged in some way. I guess it's possible someone tried jamming a screwdriver into the ignition, but I highly doubt that. The fact that you can push the key in all the way rules out that someone was trying to vandalize the bikes.

Sounds like the lock simply failed.
Tried 2 diffrent keys.. no worky.

Both worked before..

OP
fr0st

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
I've seen quite a few jacked up ignitions too.
Using a locksmith cut key, or having too much weight on the key ring are major culprits.
Usually the area around the key will be all scratched up too, by a key ring swingin' in the wind.

Both keys are suzook oem.. so its not a mis cut key

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
It happens.
for what purpose? To be a dick? To disable a bike so you can steal it? In my justice system, someone caught doing shit like that, would get a two finger penalty. You pick the two fingers you are willing to forfeit and cut them off your self. Think of it like the bail system. You stay in jail until you do it.

fucking people

If it is super glue, in machine work I've seen where people will super glue a piece to something really difficult to hold then use heat to release the glue. While you cant really apply heat to the ignition, you might be able to heat up the key and try and work it back and forth a little. The plastic will take a beating and melt off, but it might free some shit up. The tumblers would heat transfer a little bit, I dunno, if there is super glue in there it won't like the heat at all.

as for spraying stuff in a lock, its a good way to get a lot of dust build up and fucking up the lock. Ive always preferred silicone spray. Not sure its any better but that's what I use.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
for what purpose? To be a dick? To disable a bike so you can steal it? In my justice system, someone caught doing shit like that, would get a two finger penalty. You pick the two fingers you are willing to forfeit and cut them off your self. Think of it like the bail system. You stay in jail until you do it.

fucking people

If it is super glue, in machine work I've seen where people will super glue a piece to something really difficult to hold then use heat to release the glue. While you cant really apply heat to the ignition, you might be able to heat up the key and try and work it back and forth a little. The plastic will take a beating and melt off, but it might free some shit up. The tumblers would heat transfer a little bit, I dunno, if there is super glue in there it won't like the heat at all.

as for spraying stuff in a lock, its a good way to get a lot of dust build up and fucking up the lock. Ive always preferred silicone spray. Not sure its any better but that's what I use.
Being a dick, payback for some real or imagined traffic infringement, stupid kids...etc.

Graphite is ideal for locks.

I use the lithium on ignitions that had the little door/cover over the keyhole, as well as my locks, latches and hinges both on vehicles and home.

Never any problems with dust or dirt buildup.

OP
fr0st

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
My wife always wants to sit with me when we go out to eat. Yours sounds pretty cool. :D
Yep.. never rode a bike before we met... fell with the cbr 500 from riding class twice but never gave up.. scared as fuck at first in traffic..... now with a pint of beer she pass cars on double yellow lines going 85 mph lol

:up:

Yep.. never rode a bike before we met... fell with the cbr 500 from riding class twice but never gave up.. scared as fuck at first in traffic..... now with a pint of beer she pass cars on double yellow lines going 85 mph lol

:up:
Reminds me of the poker runs I used to go on. In the beginning it's putt putt around, after the 2nd bar stop everybody had a race bike.

OP
fr0st

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
So you just pour a little fire water in her, and she an instant expert?
Nope. She still scared of curves..but alot less with a pint of beer down the hatch...
Totally different animal.. pretty funny to see :D

OP
fr0st

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
Update:

Got the ignition back from the locksmith..

A very small piece of the key broke and fell inside the ignition.. the locksmith says he never seen anything like it..

Cost 40$ so that im happy about it.. including a new key.

That little fucker kept the key from going all the way in by like 2 millimeters

20200629_143854.jpg

20200629_143911.jpg

Last edited:

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
Update:

Got the ignition back from the locksmith..

A very small piece of the key broke abd fell inside tbe ignition.. the locksmith says he never seen anything like it..

Cost 40$ so that im happy about it.. including a new key.

That little fucker kept the key from going all the way in by like 2 millimeters
Man, that is some Ducati class weird shit right there. Figures it would happen to a 'Zook.

Back in the late '80s, me and a Gixxer rider were sitting in a bar commiserating. We came to the decision that Ducati and Suzuki were the last of the "Kit Bikes". They needed a lot of attention to make them right, after the sale.... :lol:

OP
fr0st

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
Man, that is some Ducati class weird shit right there. Figures it would happen to a 'Zook.

Back in the late '80s, me and a Gixxer rider were sitting in a bar commiserating. We came to the decision that Ducati and Suzuki were the last of the "Kit Bikes". They needed a lot of attention to make them right, after the sale.... :lol:

Yeah weird shit i concur.. never seen anything like it either.. you know when the planets align just right..

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
Wisdom. Wet sprays aren't going to give the results you want. Graphite is about the best thing you can use.

OP
fr0st

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
Wisdom. Wet sprays aren't going to give the results you want. Graphite is about the best thing you can use.
The locksmith told me the best stuff you can put in there is PL-100 .. It doesnt get the springs gummed up and sticky..

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
The locksmith told me the best stuff you can put in there is PL-100 .. It doesnt get the springs gummed up and sticky..
Never heard of it... seems to be the thing for locks though.

The fast-acting Prolab PL-100 lubricant spray has an antifriction formula that lubricates and loosens moving parts while also protecting them. The lubricant spray gets deep into the mechanisms, eliminating moisture, making it more effective in loosening jammed or rusted components. The all-purpose lubricant is resistant to heat and cold and is harmless for plastic rubber, glass or metal.
Common theme... no moisture for dust and grime to stick to.

Top Bottom