Ever Had A Heart Attack?

Vicious_Cycle

they/them - LABusas Road Captain
What did it feel like?
My chest pains come and go. Have for years, actually. For the past 3 days they've been debilitating, at times. Way worse than previously.
I've been dealing with pancreatitis for a while too, but that pain is different; that's more of a burning pain combined with a stomach ache. What I've had the past few days feels more like a strained muscle... times 100. And it's a couple inches higher... and radiating into my upper arms a little.

Sound like a time bomb to you? Trying to figure out which hospital I want to go to, if I go to one of my own volition. I don't have much faith in any of them. I probably would be best off in one of the Cleveland hospitals, rather than one more local to me. I doubt they are "in network", though, as far as insurance is concerned. 🤷‍♂️

roadczar

they/them - LABusas Road Czar
My 2 cents:

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Nope..

I have Dr Cole @NYU do a yearly work up on me.

He is an old guy and a Track Racer on a BMWRR

He also a brass fucker that tells you like it is. He does an intense work up way beyond your normal stress tests and CT Scans so he has a lot of info after all your tests.

Fucker tells me "looking at you I expect you to be on my table in months. Then I look over your test results and have to reread the entire thing because your numbers don't match your body type." All my tests are damn good from BP to plaque build up in all my arteries. With an excellent resting heart rate. He is still after me to exercise and slim down .. I explain to him I'm working four hard working dogs a day... I get my heart rate pumping hence tge duration and good heart results.

I don't ignore signals from my body I hit my doc at the slightest signal something may be off.

I suggest a complete work up to see if it's serious as a heart issue or maybe just a nerve from the back sending a pain signal to the chest. I have one of those nerves that does ecmxactly that. More towards the rib cage then the chest heart area though.

Last edited:

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I've been taking a low dose aspirin for close to twenty years. My mother died of heart disease, father has had heart attacks, replacement valve, stents. Younger brother has had stents and heart attacks. I've been good so far, but Everyday I survive surprises me.I've tried to get into a cardiologist but can't. Primary Dr. has to recommend it and he won't. If you can get in, do it now. At least get a EKG. And they sell a home EKG thing that works on your fancy computer phone , might look into one.

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org
I've been taking a low dose aspirin for close to twenty years. My mother died of heart disease, father has had heart attacks, replacement valve, stents. Younger brother has had stents and heart attacks. I've been good so far, but Everyday I survive surprises me.I've tried to get into a cardiologist but can't. Primary Dr. has to recommend it and he won't. If you can get in, do it now. At least get a EKG. And they sell a home EKG thing that works on your fancy computer phone , might look into one.
Change your primary

lanta

BAMF
I think you should be looking for a new primary care physician.

Terry_Schiavo

ScrapBracket.org moderator and admins
or it could be a stroke... apparently loss of feel in your hands can be a symptom.
Employ the NY Bike Messenger HMO... give a fake name. :D

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

I hope VC hasn't responded, because he went to the ER to get checked out.
I'm at home, resting.
I appreciate everyone's concern. That wasn't the point of the thread, though; I just was looking for insight into what others have experienced.
roadczar roadczar 's first thread was insightful, and not wholly inconsistent with my situation... right down to the Gaviscon...

RZ350

BAMF+
Yes, I had two heart attacks just over a year ago, first one was on a Sunday morning last November, woke up, got out of bed, it felt like there was a 200 pound weight just below my neck, dead center of chest, I thought it was the worst heartburn I ever had...

Got up, took 650 MG of aspirin and a shitload of Xanax, and tried some baking soda in water to kill the heartburn, nothing worked until the Xanax kicked in...

I thought it was odd, also thought heart pain would be on my left side and make breathing difficult, nope....

Along comes Tuesday morning, 2 days later, wake up, feel fine, sit up, 200 pound weight on my chest again, same routine, aspirin, xanax, this time I checked my BP, 236 0ver 164, I thought wow, worst panic attack ever....

Call my doc, he says get to the ER immediately, I tell him the pain is in the middle of my chest, feels like heartburn, he pleads with me to at least come to the clinic for some bloodwork, I go....

An hour later they call me and tell me to get to the ER stat, I've had a heart attack, whatever blood test they took was 5 times over the limit, I said great.....

Went to ER, pumped me full of drugs, installed two stents in my LAD, my cardiologist said my lad was hourglassed and high blood pressure and stress caused it, no buildup inside, they told me to reduce my stress level, i laughed....

As it turned out, I retired this July, still stressed, just in a different way, I wouldn't understand a life without anxiety, that would cause anxiety......

fuzzuki

BAMF
Website
www.fuzzy-riders.com
I've had one, I agree with RZ350.
Felt like heartburn My friend had also grabbed me from behind and gave me a bear hug and I thought he busted a rib.

It kept getting worse and worse. My pain was also central in my chest, that's why I denied it to myself. No numbness in limbs.

If you are feeling bad right now, chew a 81mg asprin and see if the pain goes away. If it does, you're in trouble. go to the hospital right now and save yourself.

Why do you keep denying this, just go to the hospital it's your life we're talking about here.

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

Going to the ER tomorrow at the first sign of any pain.
Felt pretty good most of the day today, but pretty awful after eating dinner. I seem to be back to normal now.
I had an EKG in September when I went to the ER with pancreatitis, and that EKG was fine. Must have had a dozen leads on me.
Nobody gets the Kubota today. :fu:

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Going to the ER tomorrow at the first sign of any pain.
Felt pretty good most of the day today, but pretty awful after eating dinner. I seem to be back to normal now.
I had an EKG in September when I went to the ER with pancreatitis, and that EKG was fine. Must have had a dozen leads on me.
Nobody gets the Kubota today. :fu:
Why wait for the pain? Get in and see what is going on.

S.C.

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

Why wait for the pain? Get in and see what is going on.
I have all kinds of problems with my pancreas, acid reflux, and so on. I quit booze a few months ago but kept going hard with the 3-a-day energy drink habit until a few days ago. I don't want to pay for the full heart attack program if it's acid reflux, or energy drinks fucking with me. Figured I'd give it a few days to heal.
There's no guarantee I'll come out of the hospital in better shape than I go in regardless of the problem.
Right or wrong, I made up my mind that tomorrow is the day I bite the bullet and open my wallet to the hospital system, whether I need to or not. Now I just gotta live that long. 🤷‍♂️

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

...it felt like there was a 200 pound weight just below my neck, dead center of chest, I thought it was the worst heartburn I ever had...
I've heard this type of thing many times. I don't feel like that. I feel like pulled muscles across the middle of my chest. In fact, having used the backpack leaf blower several times this week, I almost could convince myself that I'm just not used to using those muscles. Only problem with that theory is that the pain comes on hard, then goes away... then repeats.
The energy drinks need to go. Fatty foods, any soda drinks, bye bye, coffee, gone.
Yeah, I hate to give up the energy drinks, but they are out of the program. I don't drink any soda or coffee, and I can't / don't eat fatty foods. I don't even eat anything with gluten in it anymore. I eat a very limited, boring fucking diet.

braindead_organdonor

unpopular opinions
If the big one hits there is no saving you. Do get tests though, some ppl get lots of warnings and a series of small heart attacks. I've known people that were in touch with it, they knew when to call it in.

RZ350

BAMF+
I also thought I pulled or strained a muscle, I had no left arm or shoulder pain, just chest area, I tried to reason it all out.

Do you check your blood pressure?

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

I also thought I pulled or strained a muscle, I had no left arm or shoulder pain, just chest area, I tried to reason it all out.

Do you check your blood pressure?
No means of testing BP
at home. Wife checked my temperature and pulse a few hours ago. Temp was normal and pul
se was 60.
I'm off to the crib

RZ350

BAMF+
A reasonable BP cuff is only about 30-50 dollars, I'm a cheap bastard and I have two of them...

Walmart or Walgreens has them, get one.

RZ350

BAMF+
I also have one that goes on my wrist, I bought that new in box at my neighbors rummage sale, it reads about 5% high, but I know that, it's just another tool to keep me alive.

RZ350

BAMF+
And Fwiw, I had one of those $49 heart a scans done in February of 2020, it came back good, although my wife's showed problems in her RCA, and she had two stents installed, heart problems run her family, and this definitely would have killed her.....

Top Bottom