Even children are smart enough to know better.

TR3B

Old but forgotten
Riding your bicycles in the street? Really dude? Twisty, hilly 55 mph road, 90% of it double yellow, everyone on the phone, setting sun burning out your retinas and adults - adults - out on pedal bikes in spandex going 5 mph. Jesus wept people are goddamned stupid.

OP
TR3B

TR3B

Old but forgotten
The county spent like 20 million bucks building a complicated bike path system for the locals to pedal around on for exercise but nobody uses it. They use the rural 2 lane roads to ride in packs of 10-20 at 1/5th the speed limit. It's ludicrous. I still don't understand how it's legal. Speed limit on the rural roads is the same as it is on the freeway but you can't ride your bike on the freeway for obvious reasons.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I quit riding my bicycle with the advent of cell phones. There are very little bike paths around here and basically no margins on the roads. Floidda, and especially Central Florida is the most dangerous in the nation for pedestrians and bicycles.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
That reminds me, I saw some body lifter looking dude jogging down the main street going through my neighborhood a couple weeks ago.
This is a road that is constant 30-40mph traffic and dude was jogging down the middle of the lane pushing his three-wheeled baby stroller.
The lane and direction he was in, meant that he wouldn't be able to see any cars coming from behind him that woulda thumped him.
Lucky for him it wasn't peak traffic time.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
That reminds me, I saw some body lifter looking dude jogging down the main street going through my neighborhood a couple weeks ago.
This is a road that is constant 30-40mph traffic and dude was jogging down the middle of the lane pushing his three-wheeled baby stroller.
The lane and direction he was in, meant that he wouldn't be able to see any cars coming from behind him that woulda thumped him.
Lucky for him it wasn't peak traffic time.
Should have called the cops on the moron. We have a sidewalk along the main road into my hood. I see asshole walking along side the road, not on the perfectly clear sidewalk. People are doing 50MPH or more along the road. If I can get a clean kill on one of those morons, I'd probably take it.

XR650RGUY

BAMF
The area I grew up in used to have two lanes in each direction. Traffic flow was good. Now, they've put in a green bike lane in each direction and a center empty lane. Only one lane in each direction for cars now. Traffic is a beast. No one uses the bike lanes. It's all a plan to decrease the use of cars through MORE traffic/inconvenience.

They also put in turning circles at intersections that had stop signs. The only problem is, they kept the stop signs, too. Slows things down even more.

Idiots in politics. :fu:

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
These traffic & bike lane problems are generally local issues. I would need more info on the local bike groups and people of influence like say a council person with a striping company or road repair contractor.
Around here you have to attend a 2hr class to be able to use the public bus bike racks. Seems popular with the homeless & transient set.
What irks me more is most people could do their daily commutes or errands on bikes.

hedgehog

BAMF
Bicycles are a major problem here.

It starts this time of year with the better weather, and is terrible on rural roads when you come round a corner to find a clot of Lycra clad SPASTICS four abreast across the road chatting with each other.

That’s the thing here, they ride beside each other gassing away with zero awareness of other road users. In England when I was doing a lot of cycling we were always in single file, and you could still hear each other when you were talking!

And yes, mobile phone use on bicycles is common here, but you can generally spot those tards as they wobble about.

Each year a lot of cyclists get wiped out and there is outrage at the car drivers (though gotta say Spanish drivers are on par with the Italians) but don’t take into account what utter fuckwits most Spanish cyclists are on the road.

chuck356

BAMF
I saw a scary one today. I ran into the closest town to mail some shit and grab lunch, a couple miles or so the road climbs out of the valley and connects to a 2 lane county road marked for 55mph, goes aboot 2 or 3 miles into town. I crest a rise in the road and see something in the middle of my (westbound) lane, as I close in it's a teenage looking girl on a bicycle, stopped the the middle of the lane, pointed west (as in can't see vehicles coming up behind her). Couldn't tell what she was fiddling with, more than likely her phone. I went around and and said a prayer for her.

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
The county spent like 20 million bucks building a complicated bike path system for the locals to pedal around on for exercise but nobody uses it. They use the rural 2 lane roads to ride in packs of 10-20 at 1/5th the speed limit. It's ludicrous. I still don't understand how it's legal. Speed limit on the rural roads is the same as it is on the freeway but you can't ride your bike on the freeway for obvious reasons.

They did the same here... and you end up with cyclists pedaling 3 wide and blocking the street.. when you honk they give you the finger

Last edited:

BigGar

high on placebo
A wealthy area where I often work, Rancho Santa Fe, CA, is rife with beautiful estates, pretty, winding roads, and literally zero bike lanes. Of course that draws pelotons of spandex clad entitled wankers clogging up the roads every weekend, taking their lives into their own hands. The residents, mostly entitled, busy soccer moms, trophy wives, busy trustafarians driving their exotic cars way over their heads, and spoiled children with their noses firmly buried in their phones 24/7 despise these groups of bicyclists, and the feeling is mutual I think. A few get punted, injured, or worse every year. I can see the attraction of a peaceful country road, horses, and nice scenery, but these roads are about as dangerous as roads can get for the pedal bike set.

Austin_F

BAMF+
A wealthy area where I often work, Rancho Santa Fe, CA, is rife with beautiful estates, pretty, winding roads, and literally zero bike lanes. Of course that draws pelotons of spandex clad entitled wankers clogging up the roads every weekend, taking their lives into their own hands. The residents, mostly entitled, busy soccer moms, trophy wives, busy trustafarians driving their exotic cars way over their heads, and spoiled children with their noses firmly buried in their phones 24/7 despise these groups of bicyclists, and the feeling is mutual I think. A few get punted, injured, or worse every year. I can see the attraction of a peaceful country road, horses, and nice scenery, but these roads are about as dangerous as roads can get for the pedal bike set.
You sure know how to tell a story I could almost picture it lol

Bandit Man

BAMF
And the amout of accidents they cause in the canyons should be enough to make them stick to the bike paths but nope, they dont care. They think they own the road. They should have to have plates and insurance like the rest of us especially those with the electric bikes.

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
.. the motor vehicule bureau , to which we pay 700$ per license plate per bike ( touring class such as harley and my tuono are a part of) and 2200$ per license plate per year on the sport bike class such as busas and aprilia rsv4 ..also add cars and other vehicules as well.
Anything with an engine bigger than 4.0 liters pay a premium too..

Worst thing about those cyclists here, is that they're covered if they get hit by a car even while being in the middle of the road..

So if they lose an arm is a bike crash caused by a vehicule.. they get money from the bureau.. you can't get sued..

Top Bottom