Electric bikes

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I’ve been seeing more of these around, more importantly I see them out riding on the race track in the evening. This looks really good to me for going out and seeing where I’m going, usually at the end of the day I’m too tired to walk much.

anyone have one? Likes, dislikes? Which one is a good one.?

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I have a Juiced E bike.. with my fat ass it will do an honest gps 28 mph with zero peddle input.. with peddle input I can get to 35 mph.

My biggest gripe is shitty front suspension for NYC roads. Second I want a e bike to do 70 mph. Yeah I know.. but I want to go fast

The other thing I dislike is off road you MUST peddle assist it simply doesn't have the torque in the ruff stuff

Brakes are decent but they aren't Brembos.. I get some squeal in the front brakes from time to time.

The good part of this bike is an honest full load full throttle no peddle asset will get you 30 miles peddling will get you another 15 to 20 miles

It has a great head light and brake plight and turn signals.. you can see out of the very functional mirrors

It's moped HEAVY aluminam frame style with decent rubber the bike does handle decently but again a better fork and springs with greatly increase my liking.

For $3200 full optioned it was a fair price.

IMG_20210428_112928_471.jpg

Here it is next to my S Max scooter
IMG_20210627_111435_898.jpg

I took a massive hit selling my last traditional full suspension mtb to finance my first e-mtb, all it took was one test ride and I knew it was inevitable. 3 weeks later I got my wife one, after trying unsuccessfully to get her riding mtb's with me for 20 years, it's now one of her favorite pursuits, this is a different deal entirely than what rhino has, basically a full blown mountainbike with a very precisely integrated electric motor where the cranks are and a battery hidden in the down tube of the frame, with that you get about 400% more power than you as the rider can exert at max assist, they have modes from least assist (eco) to max assist, (turbo).
Mine is powered by a bosch motor and battery, wife's is Yamaha. Range depends on how much assist your using but figure around 35-45 miles as an average. Beyond the specs and facts it's hard to describe in use, best I can relate is that everything is the same other than you feel like the 6 million dollar man when you want to, and when you want to train you just turn down the assist and it's like a regular mtb with just a little extra push.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
those things are fucking cool. :eek:

tempting, but more then I want to get into.

BigGar

high on placebo
I've got three of em. Nothing special. Two Sondors fat tire bikes. Single speed 5 levels of pedal assist or you can just thumb throttle. They just have 350 watt motors and will take me about 12-15 miles on 90% thumb throttle only with a little pedaling on steeper inclines. 20mph max on flat ground battery only
A client gave me a bizarre Schwinn electric. Skinny tires, SHAFT drive, seven speed transmission in the rear hub and an electric motor in the front hub. Nice quality bike. Not real fast but also easy to ride with zero assist.

Terry_Schiavo

ScrapBracket.org moderator and admins
The pedal assist definite puts a sub Cat 5 rider into a Cat 3 fitness ability. I was against them at first but if it gets asses on seats... more power and sales to LBS. I can typically do a 25-30 mile ride in under 3 hours on a regular mtb... a fella that is more of a fair weather rider can make it to the 2hr mark with his e mtb. He had a nice cross country 29er he couldnt do 1hr on previously. Guy cant even ride a full trackday without packing in early.
Lots of older fellas with dirtbike backgrounds love em. I showed up to a ride one Sunday and there was easily $100,000 worth of ebike in attendance. I get my ass kicked on longer straights or fire roads vs a pedal assist 29er. My sweet spot is flowing turns and technical climbs... At best I may see 22mph pedaling top speed... the ebikers are seeing near 30mph

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
I’ve looked at em also but I’m afraid I’ll abandon my traditional mountain bike that I need to be using for exercise…..so it’s a no go for me.
The last motor driven bike I owned was a sting ray with a Briggs and Stratton gas engine cobbed on to it that I used for my paper route.…in the 60’s :oldman1:

Terry_Schiavo

yah if you get one... be sure to get a proper fitting seat. A good bike shop would have different styles to accomodate different sit bones.
Matter of fact thats the single biggest issue... people start pedaling and dont realize how bad they are going to get saddle sore(s)...lol My LBS
mostly sells ebikes these days. People come in... start pedaling... then come back a few days later for a different seat, bike shorts, and chamois butter...lol

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I’ve been seeing more of these around, more importantly I see them out riding on the race track in the evening. This looks really good to me for going out and seeing where I’m going, usually at the end of the day I’m too tired to walk much.

anyone have one? Likes, dislikes? Which one is a good one.?
I've got a couple friends who have those. They love them. I'm nowhere near ready to make that switch.

S.C.

RollieFree

BAMF
So I have a question. Firstly I have a ‘55 Schwinn that works just fine.
My real question is this: How do you fuckers have so much money to blow on all this shit? Please give me the keys to the kingdom. All I see is everyone buying new bikes, new everything, traveling. What am I missing here?
RF

Stites

Kawapuke in training
My real question is this: How do you fuckers have so much money to blow on all this shit? Please give me the keys to the kingdom. All I see is everyone buying new bikes, new everything, traveling. What am I missing here?
RF
Some of these guys have a lot of cash on hand the other half are up to their necks in debt

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org
RF
You could probably sell that 55 Schwinn for enough to buy a modern Ebike.

hedgehog

BAMF
yah if you get one... be sure to get a proper fitting seat. A good bike shop would have different styles to accomodate different sit bones.
Matter of fact thats the single biggest issue... people start pedaling and dont realize how bad they are going to get saddle sore(s)...lol My LBS
mostly sells ebikes these days. People come in... start pedaling... then come back a few days later for a different seat, bike shorts, and chamois butter...lol
Fucking tell me about it!

A few years back the local sports shop in the commercial center had a (normal) bike on offer of the style I used to build for myself in England.

It wouldn’t fit in the boot of the car even disassembled, so I rode it 15 miles home.

Not too bad on the day (took just about an hour - hadn’t ridden a bicycle for years), but the day after, OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!

It felt like i’d had a deep prostate exam using a dray horse dick!

I bought a seat cover with a gel insert in it, and that stopped that ever happening again!

Terry_Schiavo

RF
They arent listening to Dave Ramsey?? :) or Suze Ormond? What is wrong with spending money on things that make you happy? Ive seen guys that have only put overpriced beers between their legs for years...get off the spectating bench and have fun pedaling ebikes. Granted they are at their 2nd home at the beach for the weekend while doing so but...lol.
For me MTBing is my happy place. So spending $5k on a new bike is par for the course unless you want to be plagued with "cheep chyna crap" syndrome. Im on the budget end of things too. Your 55 schwinn might make a great conversation piece but its well short of fine for any serious crank spinning. Starting with the weight and roll resistance

Terry_Schiavo

Nothing wrong with spending it on whatever makes one happy. I just look at all the money being spent and wonder where it all comes from and still having the time to fuck off so much.
As for my Schwinn, it is a competition bike…in the most fun competition. It coasts down hill real nice.
RF
some of us have made sacrifices in income in order to have the available time to screw off. Others have pared down expenses or assets.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
some of us have made sacrifices in income in order to have the available time to screw off. Others have pared down expenses or assets.
yep, I've thrown you into a volcano about 6 or 7 times for a sacrifice, fucking things keep spitting you out though....I can never get ahead.

RollieFree

BAMF
I get it but I don't have much of either. I own 2 cars and 3 bikes. An '01 Malibu with 215K and an '06 Pilot with 220K. Bikes are an '03 Victory that I got for free, a '72 BMW that I bought 20 years ago for $200, and a '12 Yamaha Super Tenere that I bought for $7K 5 years ago. I live in a modest home and don't have any unusual expenses. I'm not complaining here. I am just amazed how I see people here buying new bikes all the time, corvettes, cadillacs, and all sorts of silly things like groms, crossbows, and other assorted odd ball shit of all kinds and still have the time to play with it.
I guess if I had not sent my kids to top schools and universities and paid for all of it, I would have more dough. I'm not saying one is right and the other wrong. I am simply saying that I don't understand how it works so easily for some. I wouldn't change my life anyway. I have zero desire for any of that shit. I do get to fly the nicest planes and ride the coolest bikes ever created and it all is financed and owned by other people. Kinda like Gar and all the cool cars he gets to enjoy. Its kind of fun rolling up in my Malibu and watching the faces of those who may have been expecting a more polished turd arrive. I do have 3 pairs of Whites boots which by the way, do make your life better. If you don't have Whites, you are missing out.
RF

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Nobody ever had to give me money to get someplace I wanted to go.
Planes, trains, automobiles, or bikes.

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org
Nobody ever had to give me money to get someplace I wanted to go.
Planes, trains, automobiles, or bikes.
I can’t say that. When I was down my friends here made sure I could come to Athens Georgia and relax. It was trip I will never forget. And now that I am doing well I am able to return the favor.

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+
I get it but I don't have much of either. I own 2 cars and 3 bikes. An '01 Malibu with 215K and an '06 Pilot with 220K. Bikes are an '03 Victory that I got for free, a '72 BMW that I bought 20 years ago for $200, and a '12 Yamaha Super Tenere that I bought for $7K 5 years ago. I live in a modest home and don't have any unusual expenses. I'm not complaining here. I am just amazed how I see people here buying new bikes all the time, corvettes, cadillacs, and all sorts of silly things like groms, crossbows, and other assorted odd ball shit of all kinds and still have the time to play with it.
I guess if I had not sent my kids to top schools and universities and paid for all of it, I would have more dough. I'm not saying one is right and the other wrong. I am simply saying that I don't understand how it works so easily for some. I wouldn't change my life anyway. I have zero desire for any of that shit. I do get to fly the nicest planes and ride the coolest bikes ever created and it all is financed and owned by other people. Kinda like Gar and all the cool cars he gets to enjoy. Its kind of fun rolling up in my Malibu and watching the faces of those who may have been expecting a more polished turd arrive. I do have 3 pairs of Whites boots which by the way, do make your life better. If you don't have Whites, you are missing out.
RF
This. Right. Here.
Not everyone will understand it, not everyone will agree. Priorities.

Hapo

Dog Boy
They arent listening to Dave Ramsey?? :) or Suze Ormond? What is wrong with spending money on things that make you happy? Ive seen guys that have only put overpriced beers between their legs for years...get off the spectating bench and have fun pedaling ebikes. Granted they are at their 2nd home at the beach for the weekend while doing so but...lol.
For me MTBing is my happy place. So spending $5k on a new bike is par for the course unless you want to be plagued with "cheep chyna crap" syndrome. Im on the budget end of things too. Your 55 schwinn might make a great conversation piece but its well short of fine for any serious crank spinning. Starting with the weight and roll resistance
...why don't you explain hem that his Vincent is not really up to modern standards now...???...

...we talking Rollie'...!!!...

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
RF

No wife.. no kids... great jobs that paid well ... now retired and old.. best part is I make 92% of my working salary in retirement..

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
The wife and kids part would have saved me a ton…but the 92% thing baffles me.
RF
And that's why the taxes are so high in Jew York, Jew Jersey, et al.
I, like you Rollie, see all these fucking people buying tons of cool stuff. I'm riding a beat to death '87 Honda scooter that I got free over twenty years ago.
Any money I blow, I blow on tools. I need a really good Suburban Tools fly cutter. And a rotary indexing table. I'd like to get a TIG welder too. All that shit cost money. I'd love to buy a new motorcycle or two, but I have to worry about retirement. I want to be able to eat the good dog food, not the cheap shit.
On the positive side, it costs me around a grand, or less, a month to survive and pay all my bills. That includes property taxes and insurance.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
The wife and kids part would have saved me a ton…but the 92% thing baffles me.
RF
. two pensions .. three annuity retirement funds.. two matched 401k .. government jobs are money.. plus specialized Union job as a second income was a smart move.. well let's just say retirement was a no Brainer at 50.

RollieFree

BAMF
How do you have 2 pensions by 50?…I do find it funny how lots of people in your position are on easy street because of government bennies and then leave because of the very reason you have what you have,
taxes and cost of living. It’s a fucked up world.
I wonder how many have inherited money?.. My in-laws inherited a shitload of money and property (that’s was paying 120k a year in rental income) at around 60. Sold the property and blew it all in 20 years. He killed himself leaving us with a total mess, she went completely crazy. Now we are looking after her. Going to sell her house but she will eat through that fast in assisted living.
I just can’t wait until they are all dead so I can get on with my own life and quit financing it.
RF

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
RF
It’s all relative

i paid for my kids to go to good schools too. I was also pretty lucky in business. Sometimes it just works out that way, you do all the right things, and you get through life, some better some worse. It’s not really if you‘re good at stuff as much sometimes as just lucky.

sometimes you do all the right stuff and life shits on you anyway. people go to the right (aforementioned schools) and it doesn’t add up to the 6 figure income they thought they’d be getting. If they’re happy,it’s 99% of the battle but still having the ability to overcome things like a broken transmission can set people over the edge.

Theres lots of reasons why and why not, One of my favorite quotes is that life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% what you do with it.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
How do you have 2 pensions by 50?…I do find it funny how lots of people in your position are on easy street because of government bennies and then leave because of the very reason you have what you have,
taxes and cost of living. It’s a fucked up world.
I wonder how many have inherited money?.. My in-laws inherited a shitload of money and property (that’s was paying 120k a year in rental income) at around 60. Sold the property and blew it all in 20 years. He killed himself leaving us with a total mess, she went completely crazy. Now we are looking after her. Going to sell her house but she will eat through that fast in assisted living.
I just can’t wait until they are all dead so I can get on with my own life and quit financing it.
RF
you’re hitting on something pretty big here, lots to dig into, but the short version is that you consistently make sacrifice for others And yes, having money in the bank is a function of those sacrifices.

Top Bottom