Ducati Valve adjusting.

OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Fak, couldn't get the same measurement twice. Had to pull all the valves out and clean them and the seats. A little loose carbon ruined my night. It's a used head that has been sitting for who knows how long. So, as I was turning the cams over and operating the valves, shit was dropping off into the seat/valve area.
When ever I have some shit heap that's been sitting for years where the clown wants it running and then a valve adjustment, I would get them running first, wail on it a little, then check the valves, just to avoid what happened just now.
Cams now turn nice and free (except when they are opening and closing a valve) only the drag from the seals. If you can turn the cams over using nothing but your hand, that's good. Very good.

OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
The Ducati V4 now uses conventional valve springs. I think their other engines still use the desmodromic valve arrangement.
A pain in the ass is a VFR800 V-TEC. You had to pin the buckets to adjust them. AND DON"T FORGET TO REMOVE THEM!

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
The Ducati V4 now uses conventional valve springs. I think their other engines still use the desmodromic valve arrangement.
IIRC, that's just the V4 Multistrada , the V4 Panigale still uses Desmos.

They should have been doing this all along in my opinion. Springs on the cooking variety bikes, desmo on the "sport" or "race" bikes.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
In '96 or so I had a hard on for a 916. I was seriously considering one until the dealer told me it needed a valve adjustment every 4000 miles and it cost $800. I damn near shit myself.
Yeah, lots of dealers took advantage of the 916 series. I recall in '96, we only charged $400 or $450 for a 916. We had guys bringing bikes from 2 or 3 hours away.
Biggest time-suck on the 916 was dismantling the bike to get into the valves to check them. We rarely had to change more than an opener or two.

I'll admit, they can be an intimidating bike.

Top Bottom