Dodge Is Cancelling The Hemi V8 ?

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
Gar ?

“A harbinger of our brave new world order has been revealed yet again, this time in the form of the 2021 Regional Transportation Plan passed recently by the San Diego Association of Government’s board of directors. The $160 billion road and transit plan has been characterized as a way to nuke private vehicle ownership over the coming years, although the included mileage tax component was “shelved” for now as it met fierce resistance. Don’t think for a moment it won’t be revisited since it was one of the biggest sources of funding to pump up public transit in the San Diego region. There are those who can’t stand that you can get into your privately-owned vehicle at any time of the day or night and drive virtually anywhere you please. These budding authoritarians view that and all other forms of personal freedom as threats to their power. That’s how big I think this fight really is, because it’s ultimately not about muscle cars and their V8 engines.”

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Nobody at Dodge, or in AmeRica, cancelled the hemi label.
Stellantis has decided that engines called HEMI won't be sold soon.

It's just a label.
Used by an auto brand that hasn't been owned or operated by AmeRicans in decades.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Well If the valve train didn't let go at 80k miles they might have kept them

Last edited:

luckystrike

he/him - Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer
Website
lemonparty.org
Gar ?

“A harbinger of our brave new world order has been revealed yet again, this time in the form of the 2021 Regional Transportation Plan passed recently by the San Diego Association of Government’s board of directors. The $160 billion road and transit plan has been characterized as a way to nuke private vehicle ownership over the coming years, although the included mileage tax component was “shelved” for now as it met fierce resistance. Don’t think for a moment it won’t be revisited since it was one of the biggest sources of funding to pump up public transit in the San Diego region. There are those who can’t stand that you can get into your privately-owned vehicle at any time of the day or night and drive virtually anywhere you please. These budding authoritarians view that and all other forms of personal freedom as threats to their power. That’s how big I think this fight really is, because it’s ultimately not about muscle cars and their V8 engines.”

The end of car ownership is approaching even faster than I predicted on a many a thread posted here before. I’d put it down to 15 years away

What did you guys think was the endgame of auto pilot/self driving software?

The biggest challenge to self driving is carbon based drivers on the road because we’re irrational. If carbon based drivers were eliminated from the arena, the whole use case becomes much easier to solve

BigGar

high on placebo
Most of these totalitarian officials will hopefully suffer bad outcomes soon. In regards to the "mileage" tax they're floating that's been shot down for now, it's still coming. As we get more and more electric cars they're eventually going to need to collect road use taxes from them.

luckystrike

he/him - Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer
Website
lemonparty.org
Most of these totalitarian officials will hopefully suffer bad outcomes soon. In regards to the "mileage" tax they're floating that's been shot down for now, it's still coming. As we get more and more electric cars they're eventually going to need to collect road use taxes from them.
The dismantling of car ownership will be dictated more by market demand and less than some authoritarian power grab to deny us of mobility

Why? Because self driving will provide a superior transportation solution and experience to the grid-lock, parking tickets, insurance, auto maintenance, theft and other annoyances of getting around today

More and more of the Gen Z aren't even considering a DL let alone car ownership. The trend is there

It's the long game for Tesla. Making a quality refined car isn't the central focus for them, it's all about the FSD because they see the future

Vicious_Cycle

they/them - LABusas Road Captain
Or the Z06 motors that were ejecting valve heads.....
Mine stayed together, during the 9 years I had it. (About 60-65,000 miles worth.)
NORTY , what year was yours?
Mine has survived 730 miles. I'm hoping it'll be fine for a while. My biggest opposition to doing the pre-emptive fix isn't the cost; it's that I want to keep it all stock, original, and unmolested.

Vicious_Cycle

I didn't know about the lifter problems until now.
Just started doing web searches... what a shit show that is! My newest car is a 2013 and my daily drivers average around 2005 vintage, so I'm not affected.
I've been avoiding the Northstars all this time, I know the 3.6 has oil and timing chain issues, and now I can add newer 5.3's to the "avoid at all costs" list. Fuck. What a bunch of garbage these manufacturers deliver for substantial money...

Stetson

BAMF+
Our Durango R/T has nearly 110,000. It sees several full throttle blasts every day. I'm a believer in reminding your engine what it's made for every single day, then when you decide to whale on it, it's used to it. Also probably why I never get much more than 15.2 mpg. I bought a Mopar lifetime, unlimited mileage warranty, so I give no fucks. Mostly problem free so far, I change the copper plugs myself every 25K, dealership does most everything else. Water pump replaced. We plan on running it into the ground.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Our Durango R/T has nearly 110,000. It sees several full throttle blasts every day. I'm a believer in reminding your engine what it's made for every single day, then when you decide to whale on it, it's used to it. Also probably why I never get much more than 15.2 mpg. I bought a Mopar lifetime, unlimited mileage warranty, so I give no fucks. Mostly problem free so far, I change the copper plugs myself every 25K, dealership does most everything else. Water pump replaced. We plan on running it into the ground.
They salt the roads there?

Vicious_Cycle

Last summer I towed my buddy's wife's 2012 Tahoe home from Kentucky with my Hemi Ram. 112,000 on the 5.3, no oil pressure.

Everybody makes good ones, everybody makes junk.
How far was that tow?
The GM 3800 stands above most, in my eyes. I still check Craigslist for them, every day. And I kick myself for waiting too long to move on a mint Buick from Tennessee a couple months before prices went apeshit.

Dragon 350

BAMF
City driving is what kills the hemi, constant mid rpms to high are better.

Uncle Tony covered the hemi topic.

Hellcat has the same design.

Top Bottom