Does offroading a burgman count?

esop_photo2-1.jpg
Deep rut. No kickstand needed!
esop_photo3-1.jpg
Yeah I went up this HUGE hill
esop_photo1-1.jpg
Steep as hell but made it up
esop_photo7.jpg
This river crossing was about 18 inches deep in the middle. The burgman made it no problem.
esop_photo4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Stites

Stites

That's Mister Black Flag To You
OP
Stites

Stites

Got the stock hand guards pulled off of Maui’s Husky 501 and installed the new CIrca hand guards. The Circa hand guards are nice, but they required the most work I have done to install a hand guard.

I really like the Husky, it’s a tractor......but not a fan that Husky integrated the stock hand guards with the clutch and brake lever articulation point.

Going to do the last heat cycle on the bike today so the next time Jeff comes we can do the first oil change.

FCC2F576-D774-4781-9220-F088424CBB59.jpeg
0A78AEC1-0421-4377-BC81-4040632ACEF7.jpegAD8C940B-EBF6-4C53-B12D-4529AE8614D2.jpeg

OP
Stites

Stites

Rode Jeff’s bike today to finish the last heat cycle.

I took it on a trail I know real well and ride regularly. I came away with the following. It’s a very plush machine. The suspension is plush and soaks up most everything, even with my big ass riding. The engine is and power is very predictable. Roll on with tons of power or maintenance throttle for steady power delivery. Very easy to take off on steep inclines with minimal wheel spin or front end lift.Bike is pretty nimble for being a big bore 500. Brakes are good along with the clutch. Brake and clutch pull are both easy and very manageable.

What I didn’t like was some of the first things Jeff mentioned. It needs to be re-geared as 1st gear is a little to low in my opinion. I would like a slightly taller 1st gear. The other thing I encountered several times was front end push/digging. Not sure if it’s the tire or something with the set-up. I love sliding a bike around but hate a front end push. It may just be the brand new tires as these seem to have exceptional side bite. Maybe once they have rounded off a bit maybe it will push less.

Overall this is a fantastic dirt bike and it’s really good at making average riders really good riders. This dirt bike is plush and has a way of correcting or lessening the riders mistakes. It’s just an easy bike to ride and instantly offers confidence and comfort to the rider.

4B8D1C5A-092F-46DF-94CE-749D192AFAEB.jpeg

bikefrk

Two Wheels. Any Surface.
Re-jetted and tuned my neighbors new 2021 YZ250X. He came back from the test ride shaking his head and pounding his chest, I thinks he’s very happy.

View attachment 58075
That bike isn’t FI? My neighbor showed up with a KTM250 2 stroke. FI. TPI. Oil injected. One of those will be my next trail bike. It is a very nice ride

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Rode Jeff’s bike today to finish the last heat cycle.

I took it on a trail I know real well and ride regularly. I came away with the following. It’s a very plush machine. The suspension is plush and soaks up most everything, even with my big ass riding. The engine is and power is very predictable. Roll on with tons of power or maintenance throttle for steady power delivery. Very easy to take off on steep inclines with minimal wheel spin or front end lift.Bike is pretty nimble for being a big bore 500. Brakes are good along with the clutch. Brake and clutch pull are both easy and very manageable.

What I didn’t like was some of the first things Jeff mentioned. It needs to be re-geared as 1st gear is a little to low in my opinion. I would like a slightly taller 1st gear. The other thing I encountered several times was front end push/digging. Not sure if it’s the tire or something with the set-up. I love sliding a bike around but hate a front end push. It may just be the brand new tires as these seem to have exceptional side bite. Maybe once they have rounded off a bit maybe it will push less.

Overall this is a fantastic dirt bike and it’s really good at making average riders really good riders. This dirt bike is plush and has a way of correcting or lessening the riders mistakes. It’s just an easy bike to ride and instantly offers confidence and comfort to the rider.

View attachment 58100
I thought it was pushing a bit as well

OP
Stites

Stites

Lots of reviewers are picking the 250 KTM over the 300 for their top bike. Neighbors bike is carb, like mine.

We are going to do a Labor Day dirt bike get together for LABs would love it if you could make it bikefrk

That bike isn’t FI? My neighbor showed up with a KTM250 2 stroke. FI. TPI. Oil injected. One of those will be my next trail bike. It is a very nice ride

• Red
Reactions: Red

bikefrk

Two Wheels. Any Surface.
Lots of reviewers are picking the 250 KTM over the 300 for their top bike. Neighbors bike is carb, like mine.

We are going to do a Labor Day dirt bike get together for LABs would love it if you could make it bikefrk
I am starting to plan a Utah trip again. Will see how the dates line up. You never know where I may show up

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
For MX work, I can see that...the 250MX was always a real revver. A 250 Enduro would come with a bigger flywheel in the form of a 12v alternator.

Whereas ALL the 300 KTMs came with the 12v alternator, the Enduro, MX and the Desert Crosser. It made the otherwise explosive power of the 300 much more manageable. They were VERY tractable and useable in the woods. Well, except for the Desert Crosser...their suspension was set up stiffer for...umm...the desert.

This was true in the '90s, and the early 2000s. It may have changed since then and I wouldn't be aware of the changes, so YMMV... :wink2:

OP
Stites

Stites

For MX work, I can see that...the 250MX was always a real revver. A 250 Enduro would come with a bigger flywheel in the form of a 12v alternator.

Whereas ALL the 300 KTMs came with the 12v alternator, the Enduro, MX and the Desert Crosser. It made the otherwise explosive power of the 300 much more manageable. They were VERY tractable and useable in the woods. Well, except for the Desert Crosser...their suspension was set up stiffer for...umm...the desert.

This was true in the '90s, and the early 2000s. It may have changed since then and I wouldn't be aware of the changes, so YMMV... :wink2:
My apologies I should of been more specific as I was specifically speaking on woods/trail/enduro bikes. It was a KTM 250 XC or XCW

Vegas12

BAMF+
I think that the quicker revving of the KTM 250 appeals to a different crowd than the slower revving/higher torque of the 300....

In '12, I preffered the 300 over the 250 and consider that to be the best dirt bike I ever owned. As I get older and slower, I'm not sure if my priorities have changed.

As far as Jeff's bike, raising the forks 10mm will increase steering quickness considerably..... it's right up there with preload and sag as far as setting up a bike's suspension.

Going over dirt bikes that left specific impressions, I'll try to do them in chronological order:

1980 Suzuli PE 400.....LOVED the Enduro concept and the torque was unbelievable at the time. POS ate pistons like 'nilla wafers.....from shops to me could not get the jetting right.

1983 CR250....If memory serves, the 1st dedicated Supercross bike. Made me feel like a hero at the track.....the thing could TURN.....riding at top speed in a sand wash with the head shake was actually sphincter tightening...lol!!

Late 80's/early 90's KX 500......I really thought the lighting kit/heavier stator solved the hit people complained about. I would own one again if it wasn't for the KTM'S.

Husaberg FE600's, one E-start.....reliability on the electric start and parts availability will keep me away from "exotic" brands in the future....kind of why Beta gives me a little pause ATM. I thought the 'bergs were near perfect when I was riding them.

Wonder if my knees will allow me to ride off road in anger ever again......so for me, a pedestrian KLX 300 may be all I'll ever require.

But I still dream of a 300 XCW Six days....though the 6 days is mostly fluff.

Last edited:
OP
Stites

Stites

You make a good point regarding Jeff's bike with the forks. One thing that we didn't do and still need to do on his is set the rear sag. That may be the problem right there, we might be loading the front end slightly with the rear spring being set wrong.

I sure hope your knee surgery's will allow you to ride a dirt bike with me in the near future. If not hoping you and Felicia can come up these spring/summer for some RZR adventures.

Vegas12

BAMF+
You make a good point regarding Jeff's bike with the forks. One thing that we didn't do and still need to do on his is set the rear sag. That may be the problem right there, we might be loading the front end slightly with the rear spring being set wrong.

I sure hope your knee surgery's will allow you to ride a dirt bike with me in the near future. If not hoping you and Felicia can come up these spring/summer for some RZR adventures.

With any luck, it'll be both RZR AND dirt bike!!!

Thanks for the open invitation....

OP
Stites

Stites

This one is around Northern Nevada somewhere but I can’t get anyone to share the location

• WTF
OP
Stites

Stites

This one is around Northern Nevada somewhere but I can’t get anyone to share the location

• Red
OP
Stites

Stites

Awesome ride today with lots of snow on the east side of the mountains. Some of it was up to three feet deep and was an absolute bitch to cross. That said we had fun! My neighbor Pete got a new KTM 450 so we had to break it in properly.

5221BA96-B6B7-4DC6-8D52-291ABFBC7696.jpeg5221BA96-B6B7-4DC6-8D52-291ABFBC7696.jpeg54C7DAFE-CA44-417C-BED8-C3FC67B0A85A.jpegEA12DE7D-2C8F-4B5F-B603-99A4E9D8CC54.jpeg8C369618-5B3D-45DD-A183-2E993829475B.jpeg752B35DF-8616-4F31-88EF-E5ECDA68CD6F.jpeg

FC29B6EE-A753-45B4-BECA-6571F847C39C.jpeg

OP
Stites

Stites

Sorry bro it was a quick trip, flew in Thursday at midnight, in class all day Friday until 6 PM and then class most the day Saturday and got home midnight last night

Top Bottom