Did some tuning the other night

N/A 235 ci, 10:1, 2770#, was guaranteed the car would run 13:80's when I got it. All I've done is tuned and changed from 93 pump w/alcohol to 91 pump wo/alcohol. Weather was good, but not mineshaft. Backed it up 15 minutes later with a 12:93@102. Time to quit chasing numbers and go back to being a serious bracket racer.

60 foot times don't really match the picture. I'd work on that...car looks like it should be running consistent 1.6's at least.

I used to bolt slicks on bone stock 5.0 Mustangs and get 1.8s easy.

zxfan

BAM
Looks like you've got the consistency down. No box I take it?

With those numbers are you most often the pursuee or the pursuer in your bracket program?

Last edited:
Bracket racers..blah. There are ones that are all about winning and those that have fun while trying to win. Most guys leave all soft, every once in a while you come across some cat that likes to rip the front wheels every time.

OP
OP
Hugh G. Rection
I run Pro ET. I have a trans brake, car finally started leaving decent when I staged at 4100. I have a big header on it for the old nitrous motor, it kills low end, but Mike gave it to me with the car and it looks cool. I really needs me a Tork button with it.

Stock 5.0 Fox bodies? I used to pound those things all day long with my old car when it was running mid-14's.

Here I go pulling one of my usual high 1.6s with a 5 speed, dumb sign ruined my pic. Looks neat but a lot of energy wasted picking up the front so high. Guys telling me run a stiffer rear spring if you wanna keep running this setup, but I wanted to win. so later I changed to auto with trans brake/4500 stall and was pulling high 1.5s and it was so smooth outta the hole my grandma could do it. I digress though, my bracket racing days my 60 foot times were about the only thing that was consistent. Unless I put too much tire on a slow vehicle..boring but highly effective.
83merc.jpg

what kind of clutch was in it braindead_organdonor with the 5 speed?? Tremec right?
Brother you won't believe this but I was thinking about that clutch today. Don't know the brand but I bought it in 1992 for the hefty sum of $260 at the time. Nothing fancy no dual rate no weights just a diapragm unit that would chirp tires on a 3-4 shift on a street car. It was snappy. I had that clutch in 3 different cars, it broke 6 transmissions and I ended up selling it in a supercharged 1990 GT in 2001 and it was still freakin' good.....that S/C car ran 13.20s pretty weak but it was a stock motor with a Vortech S trim. 3.55 gears were bad for it too when I raced it I went through the quarter miles traps in 3rd gear.

Top Bottom