Dick's

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Ive only ever seen some UA branded shoes or socks.
I get their shirts fairly cheaply here (there's a local shop that brings them over the border themselves to avoid import taxes, and they run less than $9 each)- I've never worn any of their shorts or shoes, but the shirts are great, especially in a hot climate.

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I drive by them all the time...

OP
OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Preferred pronouns: they, them, your excellencies
Website
lemonparty.org
Marc Benioff

There's another fucking asshole that chaps my ass :fu:

He hit my radar a few years ago having become famous for cancelling the global Saleforce convention in whatever state it was that voted down some kind of gay rights, can't remember exactly but do remember the hypocrisy of Salesforce having development offices in countries where homosexuality was punishable by death.

Salesforce bans companies that sell certain types of guns from using its software

OP
OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
Latest rhetoric from Dick's CEO

Why Dick’s Sporting Goods decided to stop selling guns: CEO

The Parkland shooting was a turning point for Dick’s Sporting Goods “We sold a shotgun to the Parkland shooter in November 2017,” the company said in a statement. “It was not the gun, nor the type of gun, he used in the shooting— but it could have been.”

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
They're up 23% YTD- whatever they're doing, it's working for them.

OP
OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
But flat to limp since they pulled out of guns on April 30 2018

Trading at ~ $38 at time of this post

Something happened that caused Dick's to drive hard into a deep chasm in early '17 from which it was never able to rise again and has been tickling the high 30's ever since

1570589968224.png

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
The DOW, while up YTD, is flat for the last 12 months, while Dick's is up (yes, yes, Dick's is up...) nearly 15% over the same period. Dick's got hit with issues at the end of 2018 that they've obviously resolved. Theres no way you can look at their last couple years of performance as anything approaching bad- they stayed well ahead of the DOW average.

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
So? Look at 2018 and 2019- how'd Dick's do? Really well.

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Dick's last 12 months:
C4A9EB21-357F-46B7-9829-8DCC089FAC48.jpeg

DOW over the same period:

D5CA0A0F-49CA-4A7F-B352-426E3B36C3CB.jpeg

OP
OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
Dick's is just keeping up in recent times with average analyst consensus of 'HOLD'

falling off a cliff when everybody else was racing up and never recovering

I stay the fuck away from retailers in general and this one is a dog with fleas

OP
OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
Hmmm, now that I'm revisiting retail sector stocks, I might have to rethink my thesis

Target is having a stellar year, sure better than dogshit Dick's :up:

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Right- they fact they did well in 2018 and are doing well in 2019 means nothing...:lol:

Weren't you pushing Best Buy last month?

OP
OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
Right- they fact they did well in 2018 and are doing well in 2019 means nothing...:lol:

Weren't you pushing Best Buy last month?
I used to have a million dollars, than in '17 I lost nearly 50% but am up 20% in the last 12 months is not something I'd feel good about, as I'm sure any pension funds would see it and the way the analysts interpret it with a HOLD

I wouldn't touch Dick's if you paid me, but Target on the other hand is something I'm taking a hard look at

I can't recall any Best Buy postings

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
I'm sure you were high on it- I remember because it immediately took a dump...

Whatever- obviously if you're panning a stock that did well (and continues to do well), you've got a partisan agenda you feel the need to push.

OP
OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
Dick's today is where it was at...

...in May of 2011

Yeah, it's doing soooooo well...

While Target is up 100% since 2011. The more I look at Target, the more I like, the full historic chart on it is a rocket ship :up:

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Who cares where it was at in 2011 if you didn't own it at the time? That's a silly argument. It's done well over the last two years, and the gun thing doesn't seem to have hurt it any (which it what you really want to be able to show, but can't), and it seems to still be on an upward trajectory. Might it go down? Yes- so might Target.

Are there other stocks doing better or worse? Sure- that doesn't mean anything in the context of how the stock in question has done. 'Target (one of the best-performing stocks of 2019 but up less than 2% in 2018, when Dick's was up over 15%) is doing better now so Dick's sucks (yes, Dick's sucks)' is kind of a lame position.

OP
OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
Who cares where it was at in 2011 if you didn't own it at the time?

That statement makes absolutely no sense to me because when I look at a stock, I use all the data available, not just a convenient slice to make myself feel better

"I've done great the past to years such that I'm back where I was a decade ago" <- note to all, this is not a winning business strategy nor a retirement plan

I remain skeptical that any management would dump a SKU that was earning juicy profits in favor of a moral high ground

I think the 'gun thing' was just one strategy reaction to the cliff dive in '17 from which they've yet to recover, maybe because of thin margins or just general poor gun sales at Dick's

I wouldn't be surprised parting with guns was in the works before the shootings, and management got to virtue signal because of the convenient timing of the shootings

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Markets are forward looking, and recent history (like the last two years) is WAY more relevant than what happened eight+ years ago, yet you want to focus more on that then what's currently happening- OK... That makes no sense to me (though I'm not saying history isn't important, it recent history is a bit more revealing).

Remain as skeptical as you want, but try to keep an unbiased perspective.

Whatever the impetus for the gun move was, it seems to have worked for them.

OP
OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
Yes, markets are forward looking, and they're saying Dick's ain't recovering any time soon with respect to its history

I sure as fuck care about historic highs and lows when doing analysis because you can't understand where something is going by ignoring where it's been

Jesus, if your bank account or net worth was the same as it was in 2011, 2001, or what the fuck ever, you'd be celebrating with party hats and rainbows? I think not

Every pension fund, hedge fund, long term shareholder and the board will be screaming at management about when we'll be back at '17 levels.

I don't understand what you don't understand about that and see no point in debating this any further

Last edited:
Top Bottom