Detailing

Vicious_Cycle

they/them - LABusas Road Captain
Hey BigGar BigGar I think I've finally got the nerve up to put a buff on my Corvette. It's black, and I've been afraid of fucking it up ever since I bought it, but it's time to do something with it.
What would you recommend for the finest, LEAST aggressive polish to use, and the least aggressive foam pad, in order to minimize the likelihood of fucking up the paint? It's not like I need to eliminate oxidation or layers of crud. Just very minor scratches / imperfections. I have a DeWalt variable speed polisher like this one:

Stites

BAMF+
Hey BigGar BigGar I think I've finally got the nerve up to put a buff on my Corvette. It's black, and I've been afraid of fucking it up ever since I bought it, but it's time to do something with it.
What would you recommend for the finest, LEAST aggressive polish to use, and the least aggressive foam pad, in order to minimize the likelihood of fucking up the paint? It's not like I need to eliminate oxidation or layers of crud. Just very minor scratches / imperfections. I have a DeWalt variable speed polisher like this one:

View attachment 101360
That's what I use is a variable speed polisher with a medium pad with a gritty polish and then I change to the fine pad and a finish pad. I use the 3M shit as I think it's the best.

I used all of this today to give a couple of pieces a quick buff for a friend. Just remember to buff off the edges and not onto them. You buff onto one and you will burn through quick.

Vicious_Cycle

Thanks Stites Stites.
I'm looking for specific brand / product names. I've used a variety of products and probably could have success without any extra advice, but the idea of fucking up this car makes me nervous (it's worth 10x any other car I've buffed), so I'm looking for some really fine stuff that should be reasonably safe.

I've had good luck with Meguiar's products in the past. Some 3M too, but not nearly as much. I have a gallon or 2 of Meguiar's 205 out in the shop. That has been my "go to".

Stites

BAMF+
Thanks Stites Stites.
I'm looking for specific brand / product names. I've used a variety of products and probably could have success without any extra advice, but the idea of fucking up this car makes me nervous (it's worth 10x any other car I've buffed), so I'm looking for some really fine stuff that should be reasonably safe.

I've had good luck with Meguiar's products in the past. Some 3M too, but not nearly as much. I have a gallon or 2 of Meguiar's 205 out in the shop. That has been my "go to".
You can buy a bottle on Amazon if need be for about $50

3M ultrafine polish

I am sure BigGar BigGar has something better but he ain’t fucking answering so you are going to have to settle with me, second best!!

Vicious_Cycle

Just checked stock. Can't find the Ultrafine 3M polish... no idea what happened to it. I think someone borrowed it.
I have some buffing pads I forgot about. A thick black one from NAPA with cooling grooves cut in it. One from Meguiar's that says it's for finishing, a black 3M and a couple dirty blue ones from 3M. I think the blue is finer than the black...?
Decisions, decisions...

• Red
Reactions: Red

Stites

BAMF+
Just checked stock. Can't find the Ultrafine 3M polish... no idea what happened to it. I think someone borrowed it.
I have some buffing pads I forgot about. A thick black one from NAPA with cooling grooves cut in it. One from Meguiar's that says it's for finishing, a black 3M and a couple dirty blue ones from 3M. I think the blue is finer than the black...?
Decisions, decisions...

View attachment 101476
View attachment 101477
View attachment 101478
It’s not ultrafine but it would do the trick

BigGar

high on placebo
BigGar BigGar to the shiny black courtesy phone, please!
Sorry,

I've been trying to think of a reply that tells you to not put a rotary polisher on your black Corvette.
Long throw orbital.
If you're a complete maniac and want to give it a go, the 3M #2 (dark grey colored) polish and soft foam pad should be safe enough.
The 3M #3 ultra-fine with a soft foam pad is so fine that it won't do much at all.

Be fucking careful.

Vicious_Cycle

I've never made anything but a mess with an orbital. I just don't get them. I have a brand new one that someone gave me for free... Craftsman, I think. I'm way better with the rotary.

BigGar

high on placebo
Neither has a whole lot of cut in it for sure.
Meguiar's 205 is also an excellent fine polish.
Meguiar's 105 is more of a compound so proceed with caution on that one.

Vicious_Cycle

Alright, I think I got the picture. I used to use 105 then follow up with 205. I have a gallon and a half of 205, so I think I'll go with that and a couple new blue 3M pads. That should limit the carnage. Thanks guys. :up:

1Deleteme56.jpg

• Red
Reactions: Red

TR3B

Old but forgotten
The ultra fine machine polish is great with the correct pad. I usually just cheat and do the heavy lifting with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and then finish with the 3M UFMP. Hard to screw up with a random orbital....

I've never made anything but a mess with an orbital. I just don't get them. I have a brand new one that someone gave me for free... Craftsman, I think. I'm way better with the rotary.
You should try the new Adams swirl killer pro with the light on it.

Last edited:

ZRX61

BAMF
I had a recent splurge & picked up a Griots G8/G9 kit that came with some pads & goop etc. Then I got one of those 3in pads that basically make clay bars obsolete. Says to "break it in on glass first".. Tried it on the Camaro windshield & the glass came out cleaner/smoother than it's ever been.
Also picked up a McCulloch 1385 steamer & a SPX3001 pressure washer. Put a cheap foam cannon on the SPX last week & didn't get the goop/water ratio quite right which left the driveway looking like one of those bubble parties with an SUV hidden in it...

BigGar

high on placebo
Alright, I think I got the picture. I used to use 105 then follow up with 205. I have a gallon and a half of 205, so I think I'll go with that and a couple new blue 3M pads. That should limit the carnage. Thanks guys. :up:
The 205 is a nice polish. It's got enough poop to get superfine stuff out, but you'll have to work hard to fuck anything up with it.
I'm attacking an F40 today. Probably one of the rougher F40's I've seen, with a decently nice repaint but someone's had some fun with this one.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
The 205 is a nice polish. It's got enough poop to get superfine stuff out, but you'll have to work hard to fuck anything up with it.
I'm attacking an F40 today. Probably one of the rougher F40's I've seen, with a decently nice repaint but someone's had some fun with this one.
I need you on my Mac.

OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Cisco brought up Air Drying

I like to do a light air compressor dry along with a Mirco fiber dry

Today I washed the no love Scooter, foam cannon hand wash, and an Air compressor Only Dry ..

20220620_150904.jpg

Does it look clean?

I also am currently doing a test on a product that is on the KTM..

It was also foam cannon, hand wash, and air compressor only dried..

20220620_150650.jpg

Does the bike look clean..

Answer is BOTH bikes are still pretty dirty .. why using the micro fiber cloth wiping down picks up the left over dirt that is always left over..
I then follow with a spray detail. As a final dry.

But being the scooter never gets washed or waxed the paint is starting to really get fucked upped

20220620_150849.jpg

I'll spend a little time doing a clay bar and a three step polish on it tomorrow ..

The before and after will be outstanding ..

As for the KTM I have to get it under the lights and evaluate the product I put on it before I left for the Virginia ride . For those that ever rode the Bl I e Ridge Parkway in the rain you know there is something then just dirt that gets on your bikes.. it's a film that takes a harsh soap and a real slow detailed washed to remove. If the bike whipes up with the same product applied and comes out well ill report back I found a a decent product.. if it does not well it will join the many other half asked products I tried..

Stay tuned.

BigGar

high on placebo
I was going to say the scooter looks clean but the paint looks like ass. No doubt you realized that as well :) Can't wait to see the polished up results as you say it will be a huge difference.

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
Problem in the South is many roads are chip-seal, not actual asphalt for the top surface. It's horrible stuff and very easy for the road crews to fuck up if they're lazy.

OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Not sure what the BRP is paved with but even in the rain their is serious traction on it...

Maybe it's like the shit they do on the mountains here. They put this sandpaper shit down so if the road lightly ices there still traction.. all my switchbacks have it around here.

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
Not sure what the BRP is paved with but even in the rain their is serious traction on it...

Maybe it's like the shit they do on the mountains here. They put this sandpaper shit down so if the road lightly ices there still traction.. all my switchbacks have it around here.
All over the area of NC where I was (outside of Boone) all the asphalt paved roads seemed to have more grip than any asphalt or concrete roads up in Michigan. On sunny days you could see some sparkle in them which was pretty interesting. Maybe they incorporated more of the crushed granite from the mountains? There were a few quarries. Hmmm.

In the winter, yeah, they put down rock flakes/chips and it was mixed with brine spray or calcium chloride in the mountains. There were 3 ski resorts within a 15 mile radius of town so they kept those roads clear as hell for all the tourism dollars. Even washing under the Tahoe or her F150 weekly, that crap literally rotted the frames and everything. It couldn't have been worse if they were in the Gulf of Mexico for a year. I'd rather buy a Michigan or Ohio car than one that came from the mountains in NC. It was unreal how bad it killed vehicles.

OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Cleaning jambs and soft plastic is the worst part of the job, IMO.
I feel like I shouldn't have to worry about that stuff.
I'm sure there is a polish or wax out there that makes it so.
I just haven't found it yet.
And I'm sure it doesn't shine or last as well as the stuff that makes jambs & soft plastic look like crap.
You mean you don't clean the belly pan or inner fenders

20220621_141827.jpg20220621_141923.jpg

OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
This is what I see wrong with an Air dry only.. there will always be an area the wash didn't reach ..
20220622_101600.jpg

. and a detail whip will pick up and give you a much better result

20220622_102005.jpg

While we are looking at this rim I'll give my product review on the Final Last Coat...

There where three test vehicles for this product ...all received 2 coats with proper cure time between both coats ..all where washed and clay bared..i

Two vehicles faired well with the product one did just ok..

The Black Sprinter I did a while back is not three weeks parked in the weather. It's bead quality is VERY good.. it's Shine even dirty is VERY good. It's smoothness to touch possible but barley compared to a good detail and paint that revived higher car through buffing and waxes

My trailer.. mix of black and a champagne color.
The big test here was how easy would bugs wipe off after it got to its 350 mile destination.. with just using a spray detail for removal..

Product work on par with any other spray ceramic or spray detail.. bugs didn't need a soaking and only a bee honey hit needed a second application. Shine even after rain and 700 miles is good for a trailer. And bead is very good when washed.

The KTM was also treated..
The big test here was again bug and dirt removal.. this is the only vehicle in the test that is ceramic coated and should have an advantage..

It did not fair as well Shine wise and water bead.. seems it let water form droplets and collect then run off like the other vehichles.... bead quality gets a c for a grade.... lots of factors here being the ceramic coat may not let it set up correctly .. spray detail clean ups after the daily rides where ok at best.. but far from other products I use.. it needed a really good wipe to get back to a good shine.Shine..

A better product is in testing now on the KTM and will report in a month or so on its performance.

OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
New product applied to the KTM...

SO FAR VERY PROMISING .. But not on plastics. Only shiny painted surfaces for this one.

20220622_114737.jpg20220622_114718.jpg

OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Every thing is getting my attention.

20220623_104015.jpg

I'm pulling this off the road for a week or so... it needs a lot of attention being it has become a work truck.. here is the first step all clean.

The car needs some minor correction but is still decent enough.. so a good wash for today.

20220623_105915.jpg

I'm trying a new Graphene product.. it has some promising results as a spray on application.. here is the first coat applied.. 20220623_121707.jpg

I'll let it cure over night and do a second coat. Then see how the product handles Georgia conditions.

BigGar

high on placebo
The only graphene product I have tried was one from 303. Most stuff from 303 is very good but I was not impressed with this particular product. The car shined nice and it also filled in a lot of imperfections but it didn't seem to last long and it had a very strange tactile feel to it. It was almost sticky. Very strange. I'm not against trying another graphene product but you're not recommend the 303.

OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Gregg.. it should have said Detail Wipe . :)

I am testing out the Adam's Graphine kit.

My paint is in ok shape. Not street show ready but it still ok ... BUT.. it could use a clay bar and a light correction, sealer and wax to build back the smoothness and sickness..

Ok I agree Graphine is some funky shit to get right.. it's very oily and like you said it's sticky and even after wipe off a clean new microfiber doesn't exactly glide off easily. I don't like it on plastics.

Now that could be lack of clay bar and fresh start as the car hasn't seen a machine in 5 months or so. Just washes and spray details..

I got to get around to getting the car back to how I like the paint to feel. But shine and bead qualities are still there so I keep letting it slide.

Vicious_Cycle

The only graphene product I have tried was one from 303. Most stuff from 303 is very good but I was not impressed with this particular product. The car shined nice and it also filled in a lot of imperfections but it didn't seem to last long and it had a very strange tactile feel to it. It was almost sticky. Very strange.
I tried that shit on the side of a brand new excavator bucket. Shined just fine, but I couldn't get past how sticky it felt, so I returned it.

OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
This shit works...

After a 50 mile drive through the goergia mountains

20220624_121534.jpg

After a 104 mile SPIRITED drive through the Georgia mountains ..

20220624_150510.jpg

20220624_150515.jpg

Nothing stuck to it but a few small pieces of bug guts. its 90+ degrees lots of bugs and road shit yet this is how it looks after the drive.

OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Yep I keep it as nice as I can but it's got 38k miles now driving it down here is much worse on keeping it clean then back up north.. mostly because 5 months a year it sat in the garage in cold months

Top Bottom