Detailing

I fucked upped not doing the ppf .. I got a few chips in the front and one on the hood.

But what pisses me off I found either a rock chip or TOOL chip on the header os the rear door. Didn't notice it until I was buffing it. Now I'm fixated on it. It will need a dentless guy to get it out and a repaint.. I'll live with it for now but lisses me off because I can't figure out where it came from..

Oh confirmed bad motor mount on the jeep.. I'll get that done when I get back from my trip to the Dragon.
The PPF is some wicked stuff. Was at the ranch last weekend driving down one of our roads in the new TRX just got the plates on and a lay flat line we use for transport of fresh water was too far out into the road. They are supposed to all be drained when they are running on the far side of the road. Was too far out and there was water which my tire pushed forward until the hose popped up like a giant snake lol. The company that does this is sending me a check next week for damages--with labor and parts will be about 4k.

When this happened thought the paint was toast. I had just had the film put on the day before I left!!!! Here is a pic of painted surfaces edge of front fender and the painted filler panel below. The next pic is after I got home took the film off of those areas.

20210531_152617[2].jpg

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
For chain lube, you cannot beat a Scotts oiler.
Chain is always lubed and always clean. I had one on my Busa. Chains and sprockets last a lot longer with it too. When my bike was wrecked, the chain had about 35k miles on it and was still in good shape.

• Red
Reactions: Red

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
tried a claybar for the first time ever last night on the hood of a new toy i picked up (uber rare 03 suburban with quadrasteer!).

vehicle has been garage kept all its life so the paint is outstanding for its age, sadly its from indiana so ive been working more on the underside than the topside....but id cleaned it using my foam cannon, good soap and a soft hand brush and thought it looked pretty darn good.

Absolutely amazed at what the claybar pulled out of what appeared to me as a perfectly clean hood! even with literally zero pressure on the claybar and probably squirting way more quick detailer as a lube than was necessary....it was extremely impressive to feel the surface go from somewhat gritty on the first few circles, to wet glass after a few seconds.

not sure id enjoy doing an entire car, but the hood sure was easy enough! have to try my hand at polishing next!

BigGar

high on placebo
tried a claybar for the first time ever last night on the hood of a new toy i picked up (uber rare 03 suburban with quadrasteer!).

vehicle has been garage kept all its life so the paint is outstanding for its age, sadly its from indiana so ive been working more on the underside than the topside....but id cleaned it using my foam cannon, good soap and a soft hand brush and thought it looked pretty darn good.

Absolutely amazed at what the claybar pulled out of what appeared to me as a perfectly clean hood! even with literally zero pressure on the claybar and probably squirting way more quick detailer as a lube than was necessary....it was extremely impressive to feel the surface go from somewhat gritty on the first few circles, to wet glass after a few seconds.

not sure id enjoy doing an entire car, but the hood sure was easy enough! have to try my hand at polishing next!
Claying a car is very satisfying work.

OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Takes me a few days to fully detail my car. That why I would never be paid to do it professionally... I would be in the whole or tge guy would be paying me 3k per detailing..

I have said it over and over my hat is off to Gregg this is not easy work even with brand new paint.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
next step is to try to polish out the micro scratches etc...stuff you can only see with light reflecting right off it looking like the "spiderwebs" or whatever the correct detailer term is for it.

depending on how that comes out will determine if I do more of the truck or not. thats certainly a ton of work for something i cant tell the difference from 20' away etc. It really only took maybe 10min to do the hood itself, and zero effort required as you really are not even putting any pressure down on the clay bar itself to accomplish this task.

given the effort in the past to "polish" gelcoat on boats, im not sure I care to venture into that world for automotive paint especially on a tank of this size.

I do really love the green metallic paint they made in that year and am very glad the guy kept it indoors!

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
this is just in the garage with two different led bulbs (someone got me one of those tripod style ones, its bright af!) its pretty remarkable for original 2003 paint and just a claybar treatment by a noob (no wax or polish at all)!

photo does capture the "spider scratches" or whatever the name is that im assuming the next stage of polishing will do to remove even that?

and pic of truck if thats what you meant in the first place. fully loaded 03 yukon xl 2500 6.0 motor , i dont believe they made more than a few thousand of these with Quadrasteer...most were put in the gmc sierra pickups of the 3 years that QS was an option. and yea, i still giggle whenever i watch the rear tires turn to match the fronts.

absolutely stole this thing at $4500 bucks because the brake lines had rusted out and the guy just didnt want to mess with it.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
it has 2 separate modes, one for low speed where the wheels turn in the opposite direction to enhance turning radius (and its incredible, turns narrower than my jeep wrangler).

the other is a trailer towing mode that has the back wheels turn in the same direction as the front at highway speeds to reduce trailer and body sway etc. Ive not utilized this mode yet, but the videos about it are pretty impressive.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
yea there were a few imports that had all wheel steering back in the day, pretty sure it died on GM vehicles when noone wanted to pay the outrageous cost for the option on the high end suv's and trucks...even if it was neat and effective.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
was happy to see that someone now reproduces the little angle gear indicator now for about 500 bucks. not that mine is bad, but id read where that tiny little plastic part goes for 3 to 4 thousand bucks online as there are simply no oem factory ones left anywhere.

BigGar

high on placebo
was happy to see that someone now reproduces the little angle gear indicator now for about 500 bucks. not that mine is bad, but id read where that tiny little plastic part goes for 3 to 4 thousand bucks online as there are simply no oem factory ones left anywhere.
What part is that? I do see some Quadrasteer bits on eBay from time to time that are priced at about what I think my entire truck is worth!

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
there is a little plastic gear/puck at the very bottom of the rear axle under that mushroom looking hunk of metal shield attached to the underside of the pumpkin that tells the computer the angle of the rear tires. apparently after enough use and time, the plastic gear teeth shear off and the computer no longer gets input on the wheels direction and QS stops working etc (hopefully while they are pointed straight).

here is the repro part some random guy makes for $550. try finding the OEM part! pretty sure even ones folks yank out of junkyard axles sell for 1000 or more.

BigGar

high on placebo
Nice. I think there's also a "module" that's part of the system that gets pretty expensive. So far, I've just swapped out the differential fluid. GM used to make a Quadrasteer specific fluid but it's almost impossible to find. I'm not sure what the Quadrasteer forum recommended, but I bought it and it seems to be working fine.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
at the end of the day its just a dana 60 with a steering rack attached to the back cover... when i got it i opened the fill port and someone had clearly serviced it recently as the fluid was perfect so i just put it back and let it ride.

Top Bottom