Detailing

Stites

That's Mister Black Flag To You
So it’s been a really crazy 6-7 months for the family and I. Sold a house, bought a house, moved and the whole COVID thing changed work quite a bit.

That said I washed my truck for the first time today in 5-6 months. The top of the truck beaded up really nice! The aides I assume didn’t do as well because of the salt that gets sprayed on the road. At any rate still really happy with this product.

OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
This is the first wash since I detailed the truck and did a ceramic coating in October. It sat undercsnow.. driven on salted streets.. left out in the rains and sun.. it took two real washes to get all the crude off it.. but it shined right up with just a wash and dry. :)

I'm going to get a rotory buffer once I make up my mind which one is best. I'll use this truck to learn how to use it then do the V

20200517_153753.jpg

Vicious_Cycle

they/them - LABusas Road Captain
BigGar BigGar have you ever used this stuff?
Mothers CMX.

I bought a bottle of it on impulse tonight as I was walking past and noticed it said "ceramic" and "Spray on & wipe off".

I've been impressed with Beadmaker, which also is spray on & wipe off, so I thought maybe this might be some good shit for $20.

Came home and read some reviews on it (I always read the 1-star reviews first...), and I'm ready to return the shit without even trying it!

Even the 5-star reviews left me with doubts about longer-term durability. Seemed like it might be an easy way to cover a new mini-excavator... What say ye? Thanks in advance.

• WTF
Reactions: Red

BigGar

high on placebo
I have never tried that one VC. Sounds like I might not need to! I'm still a fan of the Beadmaker and use it daily. I did try the 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating. It was easy enough to use and seemed to have a TON of "filler" in it. I did a metallic black Mercedes that really needed paint correction but there was no time to do any of that that day. It really filled in the spiderweb scratches and deepened the look of the paint, but I hated the way it made the paint feel tacky. Very strange product. It's been a good month or so since I've seen the car, so I'm interested to find out if it has any durability. Beadmaker definitely has durability IMHO. If you're dealing with nice, new, smooth paint and want to put a little time in, go over it by hand with some Collinite Super Double Coat carnuba wax. It's the most insanely long lasting carnuba wax I've ever used. I don't use it much anymore as the Beadmaker is so quick and effective, but it's an old school super high quality car wax.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
shows the griots stuff 2 to 3x more expensive than the turtle wax hybrid solutions...have to see how it works out in the real world!

(pretty interesting the guy got opposite results from the project farm test) wonder if UV light outdoors matters more than the cleaning materials do.

OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Here is my first hand review. The Jeep is not finicky like the V where most products fail to bring a real deep shine to the V and the particular shade of Grey GM used

The product is not an easy on and off... well it is if you want streaks and uneven coverage ... it took two coats to even out and a HELL A LOT OF POLISHING to achieve an even luster.

I tried light and heavy coats and results where SLIGHTLY better on a heavy coat but only slightly .. l the product makes you work for the desired effect.

Paint smoothness ... beadmaker is a good between wash of pollen and light dust and as the name applies it BEADS water but unlike ceramic it does not shed the water off the surface nearly as well as ceramic bead maker also is not NEARLY smooth to the touch as the Turtle wax is..I give the Turtle HIGH grades in this department as it's one of the slickest surfaces out of ALL the products I tried.

I WILL see after a wash or two if it stands up well and if the shine holds with out a re-application .. bead maker always looks better after a wash or two.

All in all, for 14 bucks it is a decent product ... but I worked less applying a full wax to this truck then I did this spray and whipe.. if it last three months I'll keep in in the garage if it don't I'll stick with Nex Gen.
20210427_122057.jpg

Last edited:

Bandit Man

BAMF
Are you guys using rotary buffers or those little orbital DA polishers? I have ever only used the big Rotary polishers with a 12 inch DA waxer.

Vicious_Cycle

I've never had any luck with the orbital. I have one in a box somewhere.
I love my Dewalt variable speed soft-start polisher. :up: May break it out this week. I am out of practice.

BigGar

high on placebo
I've never had any luck with the orbital. I have one in a box somewhere.
I love my Dewalt variable speed soft-start polisher. :up: May break it out this week. I am out of practice.
The little 8mm throw Porter Cable style orbitals really don't have the power to do much. I have a 21mm long throw that will definitely remove swirls and a lot of minor imperfections. With enough time, it'll remove deeper stuff too. I prefer to remove the deeper stuff with a true rotary like your Dewalt. I've always been partial to Milwaukee though. The forced rotation units are an interesting hybrid that I'm looking forward to trying out. I still don't think they'll do as much heavy polishing as a rotary, but should be even more effective than my Griot's Boss 21mm.

OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I agree with Gregg, I started out with the 10mm porta cable but then went to a 15mm and a 21mm machine.. for me they work pretty good for my skill level. I remember being a kid and burning paint with an old school rotary with a wool pad. :)

Vicious_Cycle

I remember being a kid and burning paint with an old school rotary with a wool pad. :)
Same! :razz::up:

I was still in high school, or maybe just graduated... bought myself a WEN polisher with wool pad and a bottle of 3M rubbing compound (shit had to be like 24 grit 🤷‍♂️ ). Laid out a bunch of cash (for me) at the time... probably $35.
Decided I was going to teach myself how to polish cars.

I was always a car guy and had waxed a shitload of cars by then, so I figured this would be an easy next step. First up: My mom's 1978 Regal. Black. :eek:

I still have a mental image of some of the semi-circles that I burnt into the paint and never did get out! It was just dumb luck that I didn't get into the primer. I was fucking close! Fortunately it was mid-quarter panel and not on the hood.

So it was trial by fire, and I had my share of fuck-ups along the way... but I learned a lot that way, and fast. :up::up:

Bandit Man

BAMF
Same! :razz::up:

I was still in high school, or maybe just graduated... bought myself a WEN polisher with wool pad and a bottle of 3M rubbing compound (shit had to be like 24 grit 🤷‍♂️ ). Laid out a bunch of cash (for me) at the time... probably $35.
Decided I was going to teach myself how to polish cars.

I was always a car guy and had waxed a shitload of cars by then, so I figured this would be an easy next step. First up: My mom's 1978 Regal. Black. :eek:

I still have a mental image of some of the semi-circles that I burnt into the paint and never did get out! It was just dumb luck that I didn't get into the primer. I was fucking close! Fortunately it was mid-quarter panel and not on the hood.

So it was trial by fire, and I had my share of fuck-ups along the way... but I learned a lot that way, and fast. :up::up:
I learned at a pretty young age. My uncle had a bbody shop and we would have to stay there when the parental units needed some time. He would put me to work usually sifting sand for the blaster, help run the Bondo making machine,but sometimes he would set up a little area and give me a polisher and an old fender or hood and tell me to make it shine. Have to figure I was probably about 8 then so I could barely lift the damn thing. I think that was his way of tiring me out. fast forward a few years and I had a nice setup in the garage just polishing cars, usually the ones that he would wet sand and didnt want to have one of his guys do it, I guess I worked cheaper.

OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Haven't used any of the Rupes product line.. that came out real nice.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
I have used the hybrid solutions turtle on the McLaren twice now.Found it easy to apply. Liking the results so far..
Very slick and shiny!

Vicious_Cycle

The P&S Beadmaker... Nothing sticks to it. It's kind of crazy.
Got to try it yesterday... I can say that it creates an insanely slick surface.
I did try the 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating. It was easy enough to use and seemed to have a TON of "filler" in it. I did a metallic black Mercedes that really needed paint correction but there was no time to do any of that that day. It really filled in the spiderweb scratches and deepened the look of the paint, but I hated the way it made the paint feel tacky.
This sums up my evening. I was experimenting on one of the buckets on the new Kubota. It appears to be black powder coat, but has a lot of orange peel and some random runs, so I'm not sure. Anyway, the test I did on the bucket was so I will know what product to use on body panels, sheet metal, etc. (Even I can't fuck up a bucket...).
I did 303 graphene on one side and bead maker on the other. Can't say for sure which has a higher gloss, will check tomorrow. But as far as slick? No comparison. Bead Maker is super slick, while the 303 was downright "grippy". Disappointingly so.
Looks like I'll go with Bead Maker everywhere, unless the 303 does something magical overnight.

Vicious_Cycle

I owe Gregg $400K.. ;)

Got a decent shine out of the Turtle wax .. still took time and effort but for 14 bucks that turtle wax hybrid is pretty decent. I'll pick up another bottle

View attachment 64262
I took that stuff up to the counter at Advance Auto, ready to buy until I saw this 303 graphene shit.
I put the Turtle Wax back and bought the 303. Somehow when I have a 50-50 chance, I manage to fuck up 90% of the time. 🤷‍♂️

BigGar

high on placebo
I took that stuff up to the counter at Advance Auto, ready to buy until I saw this 303 graphene shit.
I put the Turtle Wax back and bought the 303. Somehow when I have a 50-50 chance, I manage to fuck up 90% of the time. 🤷‍♂️
The 303 is such strange stuff V/C. It seems to have a lot of "filler" in it and really leaves a deep shine as well as being really easy to use. You apply it more like a liquid wax than a spray and wipe product. Let it haze just a bit (sun or shade, hot paint or cool) and wipe it off with a fresh clean microfiber. 303 has always made just excellent products and I wouldn't have even tried it but for the 303 on the bottle. I'm still on the fence about whether it's long term effective, but I have a really hard time getting over that strange tacky feel!

Vicious_Cycle

The 303 is such strange stuff V/C. It seems to have a lot of "filler" in it and really leaves a deep shine as well as being really easy to use. You apply it more like a liquid wax than a spray and wipe product. Let it haze just a bit (sun or shade, hot paint or cool) and wipe it off with a fresh clean microfiber. 303 has always made just excellent products and I wouldn't have even tried it but for the 303 on the bottle. I'm still on the fence about whether it's long term effective, but I have a really hard time getting over that strange tacky feel!
Yeah, all my life, waxed / polished / etc. cars have had a slick feel. Along comes this stuff and it feels the opposite of slick. That's really my only complaint about it, at this point. I don't know if it's a legit complaint... it's just different. It's definitely easy to use. :up:

Vicious_Cycle

That 303 Graphene shit had a tag on it advertising a "$5 digital rebate". Long story short, filled out the online form, then it says you have to print a form and mail it in (so, it's actually a mail-in rebate), had an issue with the form I was supposed to print, called the help line, on hold for 10 minutes, pissed me off... WAYY too much fucking around for five bucks, but at this point, I'm invested!

Finally the tech support moron said wait an hour and try again. Told her I have a better idea: I'm going to return their falsely advertised product and never buy another thing from them.
Then I returned the shit and bought a bottle of this:

Oh, and while I was at the parts counter, a city ambulance rolled in next door at the CVS drug store. I mentioned it, and the counter guy says,
"Eh, looks like another person got a COVID shot. The ambulance is over there all the time." 🤷‍♂️
Just another data point for the "vaccine hesitant" among us.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
years ago my buddy went to CVS for claritin. While in the store some old geezer hits the floor and they call an Ambo... that parks right behind my buddys truck. The EMTs were still tending to the old bag so my impatient friend gets into the idling ambo and backs it up a few spaces... just as they are wheeling the geezer out...lol EMT tried to play Cop and my buddy drove off... the EMT on the running board trying to open the door...lol
Now any other yokel would have felt the civil rights infringement all the way to superior court. In the end that ego maniac had to give the emt guy a full apology in front of the station crew... And hes not a good actor at all...lol

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
man, i finally came across that "detail geek" youtube channel...holy fucking shit that thing is so theraputic to watch.

does make me wonder how some of those people can drive cars that look worse than the bottom of my trash can though.

What polishes are you using Dave?
On this new one will be using the Rupes UHS Easy Gloss system.... On new vehicles using the soft UHS pads and polish it really is easy, at least to me. Will then use Pinnacle Black Label Sealer 48 hours later hit it with the Pinnacle Synergy Carnauba. Would you suggest something different?

BigGar

high on placebo
On this new one will be using the Rupes UHS Easy Gloss system.... On new vehicles using the soft UHS pads and polish it really is easy, at least to me. Will then use Pinnacle Black Label Sealer 48 hours later hit it with the Pinnacle Synergy Carnauba. Would you suggest something different?
Hell no. If it's working well for YOU, then that's all that matters. I honestly haven't tried any of those products, but that doesn't mean they don't work great. I'm going to order a Rupees or Flex forced rotation orbital this week. I really need to add it to my arsenal. It took longer than I wanted to get the black Aventador S looking acceptably awesome. I had to do a wool pad rotary cut on most of it to get a lot of scratches out, which of course led to all manner of buffer (wheel mark) challenges to then get rid of. I've got a few really big details coming up in the next few months and it's time to up my game a bit. I'm getting too old to take the long way around on this paint correction stuff.

Gar---yes I have used this product for years thanks... One thing about the Big Foot Rupes i have the big one and the small one make sure to order their pads and use the heavy gauge extension cords they eat power.... All of the other brands I have tried Meguiar's and one other years ago come apart because of the action of that polisher..... You may have better luck with what you use.

Even thinking about using PPF on the front facing painted surfaces. Put it on my wife's X5 M after we bought it a few weeks ago. Not a fan but hate the rock chips!!!!

BigGar

high on placebo
Gar---yes I have used this product for years thanks... One thing about the Big Foot Rupes i have the big one and the small one make sure to order their pads. All of the other brands I have tried Meguiar's and one other years ago come apart because of the action of that polisher..... You may have better luck with what you use.
Seems like whatever pads I use on my Griot's Boss 21mm don't last very long either. The paint surface doesn't get too hot with an orbital but the pads sure do!

Top Bottom