Detailing

BigGar

high on placebo
T. And fuck once we were done with that because of all of the polish the buffer flings we washed the fucker again.
Honestly, it's easier to just wash the fucker again than fighting that occasionally cement like polish that gets into the cracks and crevices. I tried to be careful polishing the little Lexus I was doing today because it wasn't that horrible, but once I got done with the heavy polishing, I just said "fuck it" and washed it off again with the power washer. I've learned not to detail the wheels and doorjambs and stuff until I know that I'm happy with the paint and what I'm going to need to do to flush out the little nooks and crannies.

Stites

That's Mister Black Flag To You
Honestly, it's easier to just wash the fucker again than fighting that occasionally cement like polish that gets into the cracks and crevices. I tried to be careful polishing the little Lexus I was doing today because it wasn't that horrible, but once I got done with the heavy polishing, I just said "fuck it" and washed it off again with the power washer. I've learned not to detail the wheels and doorjambs and stuff until I know that I'm happy with the paint and what I'm going to need to do to flush out the little nooks and crannies.
That exactly what I did was pressure wash all the cracks/seams and weather stripping.

On that not what soap do you prefer. I just bought some McGuires from the auto part store. I don’t be want to be stripping off all of my hard work.

BigGar

high on placebo
I pretty much use whatever Meguiar's car wash soap is at Costco. I don't use much of it either. Just a little squirt directly on the wet wash mitt and go. Top to bottom obviously...

Stites

I pretty much use whatever Meguiar's car wash soap is at Costco. I don't use much of it either. Just a little squirt directly on the wet wash mitt and go. Top to bottom obviously...
Seems like when i put my glaze on and washed the car to clean the cracks everything beaded up. After washing then rinsing a lot of the beads/sheeting was gone. It wasn’t Palmolive so I wasn’t expecting that.

NitroShark

BAMF
from a guy that races with a lot of Nitro..
Website
www.garrigans.hostcentric.com
I use to use the Meguiar’s system, but since the days of buying #16 wax is gone I have changed to 3M.

I just spent time this weekend detailing the daily driver Cadillac. I’m using all 3M products, from polish’s to carnauba Marine Ultra performance 3004 paste wax. Also, using a Rupes Mark3 big foot polisher. Detailed my motor home a few years ago and just stuck with this 3M ” Finesse-It” system.

The lighting in my garage is less than ideal but the reflection is like a mirror.

Cad1.jpg

Cad2.jpg

Cad3.jpg

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
I want to someday build some kind of protection for my driveway parked vehicle.
Some kind of slatted roof.
Not so much that it stands out but just enough that it gives 50% more protection to my vehicles and gives a little temp reduction when I'm working on things in the driveway.

Rocco

BAM
just enough that it gives 50% more protection to my vehicles
Yeah, anything helps. I'm looking to avoid sun damage to my truck as long as I can. The garage is already full with a lift and collector projects. The DD truck sits outside all day and codes won't let me build a carport or add anything else with the set back rules. I could do a truck cover, but the constant on and off routine gets old pretty quick - Still, I'm probably going to have to get the cover and use it as much as I can.

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Pressure washing? How much pressure, what type of machine? I use a pressure washer on logging equipment but never on a car. I like the idea..

Stites

Pressure washing? How much pressure, what type of machine? I use a pressure washer on logging equipment but never on a car. I like the idea..
I think mine is 3500 but it has 3-4 different pressure nozzles. I always use one of the lighter ones

Snail

Thanks, does it eliminate using a soft brush or mitt? What about soap, do you use down stream injection with the pressure washer?

Stites

Thanks, does it eliminate using a soft brush or mitt? What about soap, do you use down stream injection with the pressure washer?
It’s great for getting all the mud and everything crusty off. I have the soap injection but so not use it, yes I still hand wash it to get the film off

Dameon

BAMF+
I want to someday build some kind of protection for my driveway parked vehicle.
Some kind of slatted roof.
Can you build a carport in front of your garage? I figured there are rules in your neighborhood and your driveway didn't seem much longer than my car (accounting for not blocking the sidewalk).

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
I mean working in your driveway is risky enough... put carport in side yard. Depending on exposure you could attach solar panels to it as well.

BigGar

high on placebo
If you've got a really slick paint surface and the car isn't too dirty, you can get away with just blasting the dusty off and wiping the car down, but that's not realistic on a truck that actually gets used like yours does Paul. The pressure washer is still an excellent asset though, as it's so much better for your car to blast the 98% of dirt, mud, and other shit off before you start hitting it with a soft brush or wash mitt, then you just rinse again and Bob's your Uncle. Just use common sense and you'll stay out of trouble. Keep the nozzle a reasonable distance from the paint, especially when you're near any sort of chip or nick, as it can then actually blast paint off your car. I use the 40 degree angle nozzle. The 25, 15, and needle jet are a bit too bookoo for car cleaning. You can get away with the 25 or 15, but now you really need to watch your distance and be careful.

Stites

My Bead Maker came this morning and I did one panel out of curiosity on the truck. Pretty slick stuff......I already had a great shine on the truck so it will be interesting to see how it cures. Can defiantly fell how smooth one panel is over the other. I had them all really smooth and nice to the touch yesterday.

Snail

Gar, I'll start using pressure washer to rinse salt. I get salt deposit from the air, dew, and fog. It's a bitch try to get between the cab and the canopy.

The dirts nothing, I knock most of that off running into shit.

BigGar

high on placebo
How do remove hard etched in water spots from Glass?

Do you use the same method as paint correction for water spots? Clay bar, polish, glaze, then sealant /wax. I feel pretty confident in doing that, but was wondering about a chemical solution that works.
Unfortunately, you probably don't get them all the way off if they're really bad. I don't clay bar glass much, although you can. I use wet, soapy 0000 steel wool to get the bulk of the contaminants off. From there if there are still severe water spots, I'll use a metal polish like Autosol, Blue Magic or Mother's Billet Polish and a twisted wool (heavy cut) buffing pad and a rotary buffer. You should get a nice improvement, but there will usually still be ghosts in the right light.

BigGar

high on placebo
You must be seeing the reflection of the metallic and the rocks in the yard. The truck has virtually no orange peel at all.
Nah... It's pretty peely on the sides Scott. It's a truck, and I wouldn't even consider messing with it. The only cure is to sand it flat and polish it back to perfect, but that's crazy time consuming and can go all wrong pretty easily. Best way to learn how to colorsand and buff paint is to go to your buddy's body shop and fuck around with bent up panels that are getting painted anyway. You'll get a feel for how far you can go with sandpaper, compounds, different pads, etc. . . That's how I initially learned how to correct paint. I'd go see my buddy Ray Johnson at Johnson's Auto Body in Carlsbad and just hang out and fuck around with bent up panels.

Stites

I had to look closely yesterday after everyone mentioned it......I replied and it didn’t go through.

Amazing how you see it in the picture......you absolutely don’t see it in person unless you get close and are on the right side of the light. 5 years of owning this truck and never once have I seen the orange peel.

Thanks for the tips Gregg. I learned how to wet sand and buff when I was painting motorcycles. A long hard job that is very tedious, but once done very rewarding

OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Got the nexgen in today. I'll do it before the weekend and let you know what I think.. Got to do the KTM as well.

Dameon

BAMF+
Got my bottle of Beadmaker Sunday from Amazon. I'll try it next time I wash my car and see if the "Gar hype" holds up. :lol:
Got to try it yesterday. Not sure what I think just yet. I can say that it creates an insanely slick surface. It didn't seem to want to smooth out without a cotton wiping. I used two new microfiber clothes, but it didn't seem to be coming out streak free. The cotton cloth really cleared that up. More to report...

My usual suspects for detailing:
DetailProducts.jpg

I use the clay infrequently, primarily on the front clip. I use the Speed Shine as a lube for the clay. I normally don't use it for "speed shining". I use the Hot Shine for tires and the cheap plastic trim under the doors. The Wash & Wax is my normal soap for weekly cleanings although I used Dawn to strip everything off this round for the Bead Maker to have full access to the surface.

BigGar

high on placebo
Not a bad little kit Dameon. I prefer the Clay Magic blue (fine grade) clay, and I like 303 for tires and plastic bits as it's not super shiny, but that's personal preference. I did the Beadmaker yesterday with a lightly damp microfiber, followed immediately by a dry one. Sometimes brand spanking new micros,at least the Costco ones, leave what I call a "sparkly" lint. It can be kind of frustrating. Keep playing with it. Always start upwind, and always do your best not to let mist dry on it's own in any spots as it can be tough to get off then.

Rocco

BAM
No expert here - But I think some of the streaking problems people have with Beadmaker, is because they don't apply enough of the product. My impression from what I read on car sites, is that you have to apply Beadmaker liberally to get the proper results. Damon has too much product left in that bottle if he did the whole car.

EDIT * I have also read that Beadmaker is best used over a base coat, like a good wax or sealant. If you strip the surface first like Damon did, I think that will change the end results .

Last edited:

Dameon

BAMF+
No expert here - But I think some of the streaking problems people have with Beadmaker, is because they don't apply enough of the product.
I experimented with more and less. There isn't a clear definition of how much is enough in the bottle instructions. I found the more I used, the more streaks. It really looked like the microfiber wasn't picking up the excess... just moving it around. The cotton is likely what I'll use in the future. I might even use the microfiber to distribute and the cotton to clean up. I want to be careful not to just spray it on and soak it right back up with the cotton.

My impression from what I read on car sites, is that you have to apply Beadmaker liberally to get the proper results. Damon has too much product left in that bottle if he did the whole car.
My car doesn't have a lot of paint per se. I didn't spray the windows or roof. I sprayed enough that when rubbing it, the surface feels very slick and smooth. If a particular area didn't have the correct feel, I resprayed it.

Stites

I experimented with more and less. There isn't a clear definition of how much is enough in the bottle instructions. I found the more I used, the more streaks. It really looked like the microfiber wasn't picking up the excess... just moving it around. The cotton is likely what I'll use in the future. I might even use the microfiber to distribute and the cotton to clean up. I want to be careful not to just spray it on and soak it right back up with the cotton.

My car doesn't have a lot of paint per se. I didn't spray the windows or roof. I sprayed enough that when rubbing it, the surface feels very slick and smooth. If a particular area didn't have the correct feel, I resprayed it.

I used the two towel method that Gar mentioned. My microfibers are the Costco brand. I sprayed an entire panel with a fine mist and started wiping. I noticed that even after wiping the material would stay as the one microfiber was still damp. Coming back through with a dry second microfiber really brought on the shiny and slickness.

Dameon

BAMF+
I prefer the Clay Magic blue (fine grade) clay
This clay is starting to break down for some reason. Probably because I don't use it that often. I'll probably go for the fine grade next round. This is the yellow stuff and when it gets into a tough spot to clean out, it really stands out. I think blue would be less obvious.

I like 303 for tires and plastic bits as it's not super shiny, but that's personal preference.
I used to use 303 on my RV after a good friend (who is a pilot and sailboat guy; he used 303 on both) recommended it. I quit buying it when I couldn't get it local one time and bought the Hot Shine. I've just stuck with that ever since. I guess I'm just lazy. When I find something that works for me, I tend to just keep going with that.

I did the Beadmaker yesterday with a lightly damp microfiber, followed immediately by a dry one.
That's interesting. The bottle says to do everything dry "for best results", but states it can be applied wet. I'll try your method next time.

Sometimes brand spanking new micros,at least the Costco ones, leave what I call a "sparkly" lint. It can be kind of frustrating.
I know exactly what you mean. I've gone through a few brands... sparkle, lint, etc. The best all-around (surprisingly) seem to be Harbor Freight. Until I get a bad batch (HF isn't know for their product consistency), I'll stick with them. See above.

Always start upwind, and always do your best not to let mist dry on it's own in any spots as it can be tough to get off then.
I typically do any spraying projects inside my shop or garage, but we don't get a lot of breeze in Southern LA. That's why it's so darn hot and humid. Yesterday I did the spraying on the pad in front of my garage. I did notice some overspray spots and it was a bit of effort to clear them. I had a hard time getting the paint above the doors without spraying the glass roof. I ended up spraying the product on the cloth. Seem to work okay.

Stites

Gar might say I'm off - but the impression was it takes 16oz of beadmaker to do an average car.

Dam!! I bought a gallon and I think I did the wifes four door car with about 8oz or less......about half of pretty decent sized spray bottle.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
paint supply places have boxes of recycled cotton t shirts cut into usable pieces for $10/box.. there is also the new stuff at 3x the price

Dameon

BAMF+
paint supply places have boxes of recycled cotton t shirts cut into usable pieces for $10/box.. there is also the new stuff at 3x the price
I usually have a pretty good pile of old t-shirts. I wear t-shirts under everything I wear. When they get dirty (off-white) or torn, I relegate them to yard work duty. When they get even more destroyed, they become shop rags. I hardly ever throw them away, so I have a good pile.

OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Ok I have a issue on some of my Stailess steel moldings.. it's been been bothering me since I bought the car... it looks like they tried to do a paint protector or coating of some sort and let it dry incorrectly.. I tried buffing it and cleaning it but the spots that look like dry soap is still there in spots.. any clue how to get them out?

Dameon

BAMF+
Brushed stainless or buffed stainless? I've had good luck with a Dremel and a small copper wire wheel putting detail back into brushed stainless (not on a car, but should be same result).

In my case, it was etching from hard water. Dull, spotty marks.

OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Brushed stainless or buffed stainless? I've had good luck with a Dremel and a small copper wire wheel putting detail back into brushed stainless (not on a car, but should be same result).

In my case, it was etching from hard water. Dull, spotty marks.

I'll take a pic tomorrow and show you it is brushed.

Top Bottom