Dakar 2019

DaCat

BAMF
Let the madness begin, always a brilliant event to follow.

For you guys who may want to watch, the start of the event podium is being shown live on YouTube. That is awesome, about time that the Dakar organisers got onto the live platforms other than TV.

Enjoy:

OP
OP
DaCat

DaCat

BAMF
Thanks for the head's up. I do tend to spend a lot more time on Adv Rider to get all the updates. Best source on the web for it.

If you're not a forum member, join up. I don't post much there, but for the Dakar the amount of info, pics and knowledge is great.

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
Ricky Brabec on the bike should turn some heads, a podium wouldn't be a surprise for him, winning wouldn't be a shock.

Robby Gordon is bringing three golf carts (SxS) dressed up enough to compete in the car class. I love the guy, but if he provides more than comic relief I'll eat a truffle. He pisses off the French organizers to no end.

busa10

BAMF
Thanks for the head's up. I do tend to spend a lot more time on Adv Rider to get all the updates. Best source on the web for it.

If you're not a forum member, join up. I don't post much there, but for the Dakar the amount of info, pics and knowledge is great.
I'll have to join Adv Rider, I've browsed but never did join. Looks to be a good Dakar source for sure.
My brother in law's sister and her husband rode their KLR's from California to Punta Arenas (I think that's the place) on the southern tip of South America and documented it on Adv Rider. I followed them on the forum. Quite the trip.

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
USA Homer report-
Ricky Brabec second place on the second stage. Now third place overall, a minute 35 seconds from the lead, 2 seconds from second overall.
Robby Gordon 24th overall, 46+ minutes out of the lead. Not bad for the SxS class but he entered as a car.

OP
OP
DaCat

DaCat

BAMF
RG is listed as top of the Open class, but then again there are only 3 in that category.

Without a windshield it has to be brutal and unpleasant. Heat, dust, cold, wet... better to be on a bike, me thinks.

I enjoy following the Coronel brothers, they are a hoot to listen to and watch.

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
After what was called a "disastrous" stage 3 yesterday where he dropped 20+ minutes to the stage winner and fell back to 7th overall, Ricky Brabec performed a miracle ride in today's stage 4. He won the stage by over 6 minutes :eek: and now leads the overall standings by over 2 minutes.

4 of 10 stages have run, Ricky has the overall lead, I'd call that a sweet spot. *

* I am a shameless homer! 'Murica baby!

Think it was Amazon's video, had a documentary where an organizer died. What a show, and understand why they're now in S. America. Thanks for posting:up:

OP
OP
DaCat

DaCat

BAMF
Those guys are simply incredible. The Dakar once again proves that fastest is not always the winner, consistency is everything.

At the start of the event I was thinking it may be Bareda's race this year, he is fast. However, now I believe he is just too 'reckless' (I use that term loosely, just can't think of a better word - perhaps too much of a cowboy) and he destroys his own chances. Bet Honda is seriously pissed off. Keep an eye out for Paulo Gonçalves, he has had bad luck in the past, maybe he will be on the podium this year. I sure hope so.

Still one of the toughest races in the world, no doubt. I enjoy following the Male Moto (yeah, not called that anymore) but I still think it's apt. Those guys take a beating with no assistance and that has be 100 times tougher than the factory supported riders.

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
I'm unclear on the details, apparently some of yesterday's stage 3 had thick soupy fog. That made navigation nearly instrument only conditions. I think Bam Bam Barreda rode into some sort of ravine that he couldn't ride, push, or throw his bike out of, game over.

Robby Gordon and his other two SxS 'cars' have fallen back into the " it's an accomplishment just to finish" category.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DaCat

DaCat

BAMF
I watched Bareda's interview and it sounded pretty scary, as in a cliff type fall. When he tried to recover the bike it slid deeper into the gorge.

Would love to have seen video of it, knowing how he rides it would be interesting to see.

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
So much for my 'merikan homerness. :hissyfit:
Ricky Brabec blew up his Honda in the 8th stage, he was positioned beautifully for the overall with 3 stages to go. :screama:
As a consolation, Andrew Short on the bikes and Casey Currey in a SxS have used smarts and consistency to haul themselves up to 4th place in their respective classes with only tomorrow's short 10th stage to go. They both need something disastrous to happen to one of the top 3 to make the podium, however.:cry:

OP
OP
DaCat

DaCat

BAMF
Yeah, once again it's been a pretty brutal race for the top guys. In the interview the day before his engine died, he admitted to riding too hard. For a racer to say that you know that means he took too many chances for too long, glad he came out of it physically unscathed and gets to fight another year.

The bikes category title is still up for grabs. I usually see the last stage as more of a ceremonial day, but with only 10 stages this year, me thinks it will be proper racing up to the line. Great to see Huskys up there as well.

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
Huskys (Huskies?) are just different colored KTMs, I believe tomorrow will make 18 years straight for the Marauders of Mattinghofen. I hope the Prussians enjoyed the Dakar because they are going to get their asses handed to them in MotoGP.:mrlucky:

OP
OP
DaCat

DaCat

BAMF
Are the Austrians Prussians? I wouldn't have thought so. More to the Hungarian side perhaps?

Give them a couple of years of development and you may be surprised that it's not just Jap machines winning titles in MotoGP. Their development in such a short space of time has been incredible. I look back over the years and there have been a lot of other companies that have failed, Petronas comes to mind.

Even Mr. Lucky will shouting for them :lol:

busa10

BAMF
It's been interesting to watch all the category summaries daily on the dakar website, but I sure wish they could go back to Africa. There was so much more variety in what they raced on. Here it's been sand, sand, sand, rocks, sand, sand sand...

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
Just shorten what used to be malle moto, a frogism now anglicised to Original by Motul, to ObM and be done with it already.:idea:

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
Casey Currey held his fourth place overall to the finish today in the SxS class.
For the bikes, Andrew Short fell back to fifth place, not through any deficiency in his riding. What happened was that the PrussIan pricks at KTM managed to make a one hour penalty to one of their riders that was given in the seventh stage go away during the tenth and final stage. That bit of chicanery gave KTM a sweep of the podium positions.

Of course I would never think that the French organizers would alter a result to keep the money flowing to ASO from Mattinghoffen. :ak:

OP
OP
DaCat

DaCat

BAMF
It's been interesting to watch all the category summaries daily on the dakar website, but I sure wish they could go back to Africa. There was so much more variety in what they raced on. Here it's been sand, sand, sand, rocks, sand, sand sand...
Yeah, Africa has a lot more to offer... armour platting for rally vehicles against AK47 bullets, anti-RPG deflectors and riders get Red Bull sponsored bullet proof flak jackets :lol:

I'm still pissed off that I missed the start of the Dakar in Lisbon back in the 90's. Race cancelled on the last minute due to security risks in Morocco if I remember correctly, could have been Algeria.

Africa doesn't want whitey here, just their bribe money. Except when government officials need medical assistance then they choose top European hospitals, Russian hospitals for the commie backed regimes or Singapore for Mugabe.

At least South America welcomes the event with open arms, granted it shouldn't be called Dakar anymore, perhaps Spanish Armada race or Le Conquistador for the French speaking ASOles :razz:

busa10

BAMF
Yeah, Africa has a lot more to offer... armour platting for rally vehicles against AK47 bullets, anti-RPG deflectors and riders get Red Bull sponsored bullet proof flak jackets :lol:

I'm still pissed off that I missed the start of the Dakar in Lisbon back in the 90's. Race cancelled on the last minute due to security risks in Morocco if I remember correctly, could have been Algeria.

Africa doesn't want whitey here, just their bribe money. Except when government officials need medical assistance then they choose top European hospitals, Russian hospitals for the commie backed regimes or Singapore for Mugabe.

At least South America welcomes the event with open arms, granted it shouldn't be called Dakar anymore, perhaps Spanish Armada race or Le Conquistador for the French speaking ASOles :razz:
I agree. The situation in Africa is unfortunate, those were great races and the rules allowed bigger bikes which was interesting too. South America has been a great host for sure. Maybe they'll figure out better routes. After all, that country has so much more variety of terrain to offer inland.

OP
OP
DaCat

DaCat

BAMF
Very true, South America has its own challenges. The political stability of those various countries can be trying at times.

Fortunately every continent offers it's own challenges as far as terrain goes. Look at your own Baja 1000 races. They could do Australia, even Asia although the winter season there can be brutal, ie. January races.

I think the logistical nightmare of the Dakar is probably the biggest challenge. Lyndon Poskitt last year did some vlogs on the Dakar logistics, the amount of water and food consumed was insane. Moving the bivouac to the next location, getting it setup and ready in time was insane.

They original Dakars were the true Dakar racing, no fancy logistics, run what ya brung, etc. Porches 911 racing in the desert, lol. Unfortunately, when sponsors get involved and the money starts flowing in any sport, then the shit starts. Look at Dorna with MotoGP and SBK, just shit... all for the show.

busa10

BAMF
Couldn't agree more. The one racing event I really enjoy is Bonneville's Speedweek. There are a few major players, but tons of run what you've brung. Most everyone is happy to chat and help each other go fast. Gearhead paradise.

OP
OP
DaCat

DaCat

BAMF
That is an event I would love to attend sometime. Your post just made it even more appealing for me to experience.

I know some of the folks here have raced the event and I take my hat off to them, balls of steel.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching The Fastest Indian, even if it was made pretty for the movies. You can get a feel for the event if you read between the lines and drama.

I enjoy events when you can just walk up to a rider or a team and chat without having to have a tag around my neck. Granted that if they are in race mode you leave them alone, and I realise that not all folks are considerate, so rules have to be in place at times. Too formal and too corporate is enough to make me walk away.

One of my favourite encounters was meeting and having a brief chat with some MotoGP riders when they were here a long time ago. Shakey Burns was so down to earth, he was like a true biker. Found Colin Edwards and although he was hounded by a lot of fans he is just a hoot to listen to. Funny and totally natural. So was John Hopkins.

With the local racing here, we could walk up and chat to any of the folks. It's a small racing community, so most know each other and are easy going. No superstars with big egos.

busa10

BAMF
Well then, put Speedweek on your bucket list. You'll really enjoy the variety of vehicles and the people running them. In the evenings a lot of them retreat to the town of Wendover with street rods and bikes. It's a hoot.

OP
OP
DaCat

DaCat

BAMF
Well then, put Speedweek on your bucket list. You'll really enjoy the variety of vehicles and the people running them. In the evenings a lot of them retreat to the town of Wendover with street rods and bikes. It's a hoot.
:up:

Top Bottom