Dakar 2019

DaCat

BAMF
Let the madness begin, always a brilliant event to follow.

For you guys who may want to watch, the start of the event podium is being shown live on YouTube. That is awesome, about time that the Dakar organisers got onto the live platforms other than TV.

Enjoy:

OP
OP
DaCat

DaCat

BAMF
Thanks for the head's up. I do tend to spend a lot more time on Adv Rider to get all the updates. Best source on the web for it.

If you're not a forum member, join up. I don't post much there, but for the Dakar the amount of info, pics and knowledge is great.

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
Ricky Brabec on the bike should turn some heads, a podium wouldn't be a surprise for him, winning wouldn't be a shock.

Robby Gordon is bringing three golf carts (SxS) dressed up enough to compete in the car class. I love the guy, but if he provides more than comic relief I'll eat a truffle. He pisses off the French organizers to no end.

busa10

BAMF
Thanks for the head's up. I do tend to spend a lot more time on Adv Rider to get all the updates. Best source on the web for it.

If you're not a forum member, join up. I don't post much there, but for the Dakar the amount of info, pics and knowledge is great.
I'll have to join Adv Rider, I've browsed but never did join. Looks to be a good Dakar source for sure.
My brother in law's sister and her husband rode their KLR's from California to Punta Arenas (I think that's the place) on the southern tip of South America and documented it on Adv Rider. I followed them on the forum. Quite the trip.

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
USA Homer report-
Ricky Brabec second place on the second stage. Now third place overall, a minute 35 seconds from the lead, 2 seconds from second overall.
Robby Gordon 24th overall, 46+ minutes out of the lead. Not bad for the SxS class but he entered as a car.

OP
OP
DaCat

DaCat

BAMF
RG is listed as top of the Open class, but then again there are only 3 in that category.

Without a windshield it has to be brutal and unpleasant. Heat, dust, cold, wet... better to be on a bike, me thinks.

I enjoy following the Coronel brothers, they are a hoot to listen to and watch.

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
After what was called a "disastrous" stage 3 yesterday where he dropped 20+ minutes to the stage winner and fell back to 7th overall, Ricky Brabec performed a miracle ride in today's stage 4. He won the stage by over 6 minutes :eek: and now leads the overall standings by over 2 minutes.

4 of 10 stages have run, Ricky has the overall lead, I'd call that a sweet spot. *

* I am a shameless homer! 'Murica baby!

OP
OP
DaCat

DaCat

BAMF
Those guys are simply incredible. The Dakar once again proves that fastest is not always the winner, consistency is everything.

At the start of the event I was thinking it may be Bareda's race this year, he is fast. However, now I believe he is just too 'reckless' (I use that term loosely, just can't think of a better word - perhaps too much of a cowboy) and he destroys his own chances. Bet Honda is seriously pissed off. Keep an eye out for Paulo Gonçalves, he has had bad luck in the past, maybe he will be on the podium this year. I sure hope so.

Still one of the toughest races in the world, no doubt. I enjoy following the Male Moto (yeah, not called that anymore) but I still think it's apt. Those guys take a beating with no assistance and that has be 100 times tougher than the factory supported riders.

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
I'm unclear on the details, apparently some of yesterday's stage 3 had thick soupy fog. That made navigation nearly instrument only conditions. I think Bam Bam Barreda rode into some sort of ravine that he couldn't ride, push, or throw his bike out of, game over.

Robby Gordon and his other two SxS 'cars' have fallen back into the " it's an accomplishment just to finish" category.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DaCat

DaCat

BAMF
I watched Bareda's interview and it sounded pretty scary, as in a cliff type fall. When he tried to recover the bike it slid deeper into the gorge.

Would love to have seen video of it, knowing how he rides it would be interesting to see.

Top Bottom