Covid A Year Later

Stites

Schiavo is my main bitch
I wrote this today last year so I would never forget and I am glad I did. A year later and the kid tested positive this week, the wife was negative and I am still waiting on results from the test I took at the slow ass VA earlier this week. Basically this round if it Covid again feels like I have a head cold.

We have basically locked ourselves in our house and the shop this week doing our best to not spread the shit. I am down there day and night getting all kinds of shit done as I have tons of energy.

Day 1 - Started off with a very small and minor cough to start the day and ended the day with what did I do to my lower back? Until day 3 I never suspected body aches but that’s what it was.

Day 2 - Cough getting worse and lower back is on fire. Could not find any position in bed or on the couch to alleviate pain. Took Hank for a walk hoping to loosen things up. At this point I still do not think I am sick or getting sick.

Day 3 - Getup and go to work and only make it a half day before I start feeling like shit. I now know I am sick as I feel weak, have a cough, congestion and lower back is on fire. At this point even though I don’t realize it my sense of smell is starting to diminish. I now have a fever and am confident I have the rona. Hard to sleep with a fever and you can’t breathe.

Day 4 - Get tested for COVID and am fighting a ridiculous fever. Day 4 was the worst day to date. I am cold then hot all day with the chills constantly, lots of shivering as I can’t get warm until I am hot and then I can’t cool down.....there is nothing and I mean nothing that can make me comfortable on this day. Fever peaked at 101.5 on this day and stayed above 100 most of the day. Smell is 99% gone.

Day 5 - A different kind of awful. On this day my fever broke and it held with only a slight fever here and there. The hard part of this day was that I got zero sleep through the night and couldn’t fall asleep. I was really tired but just couldn’t fall asleep it’s as if I was wired. I would go about 30 hours straight being awake before finally being able to take a nap. Results back as Positive. The worst part of this day was from about midnight until around 10am that morning I was having trouble breathing. I mean I am sitting on the couch for an hour or more and haven’t moved and my heart is racing and I am panting like a dog. That was scary and my mental stability was fading as I was just getting my ass kicked. At this point I am considering the hospital.

Day 6 - Having slept, and having no fever I think I am over the hump on this and am excited to be feeling better. Sore throat seems to be going away, congestion is going away, energy levels are coming back somewhat, but I am cautious as it still kicks my ass going up and down the stairs. Taste is 50% gone.

Day 7 - Spent a lot of this day sleeping and just resting. Was very tired and felt like I had just been through combat. Heart rate has been elevated the entire last seven days to include lower oxygen levels. My oxygen sat is almost always 99-100 when I got to the doctor. It’s ranged from 91-95 on average with the lowest I saw once of 88. My resting heart rate is typically 58-60 and as I type this sitting in bed it’s 70. It has not been uncommon to see 90 - 100 laying in bed.......add in some stairs and 130-140 depending on how my days is going.

Day 8 - Woke up feeling great and no congestion, no breathing problems, no sore throat, still down on energy but I feel the best on this day out of all the previous 8 days. I watch football all day and do not take any naps in the bed but do take some quick recliner cat naps. Once again I feel like I am over the hump and may be finishing up with this stuff finally.

Day 9 - Going to watch more football as there’s nothing else to do. Again I feel great again and have convinced myself I might even be able to go back to work in a few days (been closed since 12/31). Feel good all day and around 6PM start to turn for the worst after the previous 30 or so hours with no fever. Congestion is back, sore throat is back and I am breathing through my mouth as I can’t get enough air which in turn creates dry mouth which also means cracked and chapped lips. Fever is coming back strong and I know I am going to have a rough night. Had a fever all night long and peaked at 101 again. Slept very little as your mind gets the best of you. Mad at myself for letting my guard down and thinking I was getting better.

Day 10 - I have no fever and feel good with no congestion but I am very weak and I have a bad ass cough. On this day I felt good most of the day, but something was off at the end of the day, I felt another round of shit coming and little did I know that while day 10 wasn’t my worst day it was the day I was the most scared. Around 8pm in the shower and my cough is getting worse. I am hacking up phlegm and spitting it out. While I n the shower blood is coming up in my phlegm. I hope this is nothing and plan to talk to the doc in the AM. During the night I am again having trouble breathing and on exhale I can hear cracking and popping in my breathe via my chest.

Day 11 - After little to no sleep, rice crispy sounds coming from my chest and spitting up blood I have convinced myself that I have the onset of pneumonia. At this point I know I need to call my doc but I am truly scared to hear what they might say. I don’t want to go to the hospital for I have already brain washed myself that I might not come back. I get up out of bed, shower and make the call to talk to the nurse then the doc. I take what seems like 100 pills all mixed together which is a combo of vitamins, fever reducers and immune boosters. Nurse calls and spends about 20 minutes on the phone with me. She makes it really clear that I sound good on the phone, have cognitive skills in check and that I need to keep fighting as I am actually getting better and they will only have the worse cases come down for admission. She says the blood is from the extreme coughing and dry throat and the rise crispy sounds is most likely mucus in my chest that’s breaking up. Many hours later my doc confirms everything the nurse says. I am more than relieved.

Day 12 - Feel like absolute dog shit but I can feel I am getting better......weird right? I could just feel I was getting better but I just didn’t have any energy and I felt sick. I am now taking a minimum of 3 showers a day because it’s the only time I feel like a person. It sucks though because of all the sitting and laying around my leg goes numb when I stand. Around 6PM I start to feel good, mentally good and physically I feel like I am coming around. On this night I sleep almost the entire night with only waking up a few times, the best part no sweating.

Day 13 - Other than just being exhausted from getting my ass kicked for the last two weeks I feel pretty good and headed in the right direction. Strange thing is for days I have had zero appetite, the only reason I eat is because I know I need to and my stomach is growling to the point of annoyance (I have lost about 8 lbs in two weeks). An additional weird thing is my taste is back to about 75% to the point you could enjoy food, what is throwing things off is that my smell is coming back 10-15%, but everything smells like chemicals. So it’s hard to want to eat when something has a chemical smell and in turn that makes you have nausea.

Day 14 - Friday tomorrow- fingers crossed

I wrote all this down because I don’t ever want to forget it and I hope it helps someone with a heads up. No matter how much I read I never found people’s first accounts and I wasn’t prepared for being sick, then better then sick.

Let me also say I don’t get sick. Almost never and when I do get sick it’s usually a day or two and never enough to keep me home from work. I can honestly say I don’t believe I have missed a day of work because of illness in almost 10 years. This is the worse sickness I have ever had and the longest.

Lots of people will give you advice, we are all different and it will affect us all differently. Try and find what works best for you.

What has really helped me more than anything to clear congestion and change the course of a fever is a stupid hot shower. I have been taking two per day. They have been the highlight of my day. Often I keep them so hot and stay in there so long that it starts to get to hard to breathe and I come out of the bathroom sweating and need to cool off. Yesterday was so bad and I was so cold at the end of the day I took 3 showers. Never in my life have my hands been so clean.

9 straight days with fevers is tough.

All one can do is rest nothing more, nothing less. You will pay for anything more trust me.

I am on a 4 hour alternate schedule of Tylenol and Motrin. Coupled with taking vitamin C, D3, Glutathione and Zinc. Yesterday I added in B12 as well. In addition I have been taking Sudafed in the day and Benadryl at night for congestion because breathing cleanly is the most important part of this to keep oxygen levels up. In addition we have been drinking Gatorade and Pedialyte for electrolytes. Doctor all said Mucinex to break things up.

Now let me say a few things, I wish this on not a single person, it just plain sucked and I am still not done.

I see how this can take someone’s life as it’s relentless. I am a very healthy person with great blood pressure with a strong immune system and it totally kicked my ass. I must assume that me being of large taco size did not help me.......that will be changing soon as I can walk up the stairs without needing mouth to mouth to recover.

In closing I still amazed at how relentless to virus is, one day you are fine and the next day you’re knocked flat on your ass. Sienna had it about 3 days and she’s fine, Cami has had it a few days less than me but not a single fever, just tons of congestion issues.

So far 2021 has sucked......lol!!

Last edited:

BigGar

high on placebo
So to be clear, this is your first bout with the Covid, right?

Do you have it again?

Most interesting thing I read today was about your back pain. Mine has been on fire the last couple of days. Tried to hang on my inversion table, and that helped a little, but it would come back with a vengeance in a couple of hours. Finally about six a.m. today I pulled a vicodin out of the safe and the relief was almost immediate. I hadn't taken a pain pill for a few years. I took another one early this afternoon after the first one wore off. Not happy to be taking them but being able to sleep is nice.

OP
Stites

Stites

Schiavo is my main bitch
So to be clear, this is your first bout with the Covid, right?

Do you have it again?

Most interesting thing I read today was about your back pain. Mine has been on fire the last couple of days. Tried to hang on my inversion table, and that helped a little, but it would come back with a vengeance in a couple of hours. Finally about six a.m. today I pulled a vicodin out of the safe and the relief was almost immediate. I hadn't taken a pain pill for a few years. I took another one early this afternoon after the first one wore off. Not happy to be taking them but being able to sleep is nice.

Jan 1st last year was my first bout. I have no idea if I have it again. That said Sienna did receive a positive test so it’s in our home. I have not been shy with her at all and still do all of our regular things. She missed the entire week of school.

That said Cami tested negative and my results have not been given to us yet. If this is Covid round 2 it’s been merely a head cold to date. I sure as fuck hope it doesn’t worsen because reading what I wrote last year definitely fans some of the emotion I felt last year when I was getting my ass kicked

Top Bottom