CORONAVIRUS

nomad

BAMF

CAN LLAMAS SAVE US FROM THE CORONAVIRUS?

As the race for a coronavirus vaccine continues, a group of Belgian scientists take the lead by implementing a unique antibody from llamas. Here’s why it’s working.

Last edited:
  • Red
Reactions: Red

nomad

BAMF
UK Ministers Order Urgent Vitamin D

Across the UK, as many as 750 frontline NHS staff have received free immune support packs including Liposomal Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Zinc from a voluntary initiative, and there has been some frustration that a more holistic approach to the pandemic has not been implemented.

Singapore general hospital reportedly routinely gives coronavirus patients aged over 50 a mix of Vitamin D, Magnesium and Vitamin B12, while countries which have recently had summers have generally been less affected by the pandemic.

Last edited:
  • Red

nomad

BAMF
Neuroscientist: Up to 80% (of Llamas?) Are Not Even Susceptible to COVID-19

A British neuroscientist and statistician who is questioning the mathematical models of COVID-19 infectibility and spread is suggesting that as many as 80% of people aren’t even susceptible to SARS-CoV-2.

Last edited:
  • Red
Coronavirus Antibodies May Last Only Three Months

A Chinese study shows that a vaccine for SARS-CoV-2 may not prove to be helpful in fighting the infection because there isn’t evidence to indicate that the antibodies last more than two or three months.
Translated: We can't prove the anti-bodies last for longer than 3 months, because we've only been testing for antibodies for 3 months.

Hey Vinnie,
Are you anywhere near this place?
1 Norwood Ct, North Oxford, MA 01537

You may be familiar with it, but if not, it's a gym that has been shut down by the government due to coronavirus, but the owner defied their orders.
When the town cut off water and electricity, the owner brought in generators and Porta-Johns. :lol:

Since then, the landlord had the locks changed, so that may be a showstopper. Anyway, if you are near there and up for the task, I'd like to buy a t-shirt or sweatshirt from them sometime... when / if they are available. I'll pay handsomely for your travels. :up:

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
I didn't pick up the Pringles 'Mystery Flavor' chips- they were the same price as all the other identified flavors- who the fuck would buy these- maybe the mystery taste is 'Homeless Guy's Sweaty Testicles':

View attachment 31338

All in all, a successful trip.
I have an update on the Pringles 'Mystery Flavor' (which I referenced in an earlier 'apocalypse shopping' post in this thread)- as I suspected, it's not selling well at all- it's priced at 37 baht when all the other flavors are going for 47 baht, like the more popular 'Hot & Spicy Grilled Squid', 'Larb', 'Hot & Spicy Seaweed', 'Sweet Chili', and 'Tom Yum':

nomad

BAMF
Brazil, the world's No. 2 coronavirus hot spot after the United States, officially passed 50,000 coronavirus deaths on Sunday, a blow for a country already grappling with more than 1 million cases, rising political instability and a crippled economy.

DungBeatle

Scarabaeidae Scarabaeinae

Exerpt:

President Donald Trump insisted on Tuesday that he was serious when he revealed that he had directed his administration to slow coronavirus testing in the United States — shattering the defenses of senior White House aides who argued Trump’s remarks were made in jest.

“I don’t kid. Let me just tell you. Let me make it clear,” Trump told reporters, when pressed on whether his comments at a campaign event Saturday in Tulsa, Okla., were intended as a joke.

“We have got the greatest testing program anywhere in the world. We test better than anybody in the world. Our tests are the best in the world, and we have the most of them. By having more tests, we find more cases,” he continued.

Administration officials as high-ranking as Vice President Mike Pence have scrambled in recent days to clean up Trump’s statements last Saturday in Tulsa, Okla., where he reprised his dubious logic regarding testing rates before an arena of supporters.

“When you do testing to that extent, you’re going to find more people,” Trump said during the rally. “You’re going to find more cases. So I said to my people, ‘Slow the testing down, please.’”

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
“The risk study by Dr. Rajiv Bhatia, clinical assistant professor of primary care and population health at Stanford, and Dr. Jeffrey Klauser, adjunct professor of epidemiology at UCLA

“The study found a person in a typical medium to large U.S. county who has a single random contact with another person has, on average, a 1 in 3,836 chance of being infected without social distancing, hand-washing or mask-wearing.”

nomad

BAMF
Last month, it was announced that researchers at the University of Oxford had begun enrolling people for a phase 2 clinical trial of AZD1222. This will be a significantly expanded trial compared to phase 1, involving 10,260 subjects.

The storied U.K. university is where AZD1222 was created; AstraZeneca subsequently licensed the vaccine. As a global pharmaceutical company, AstraZeneca has already made arrangements to produce and distribute the vaccine at cost.

>Heat is not killing it like they hoped.
The US is not hot, its AC figid... like the women

nomad

BAMF
  • As lockdowns have kept people at home and out of medical facilities, infant vaccination rates have dropped. This may be why they’ve started promoting baseless claims suggesting common childhood vaccinations might prevent COVID-19 deaths
  • Despite lack of proof, media claims the TB vaccine, measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) and oral polio vaccines might protect against COVID-19

un believable!

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
shit is insane....nearly 9000 positives in florida alone today?

wtf...back in march when there were only a hundred or so cases positive a day....shit was mass hysteria...no TP on the shelves...run on food/milk/meat....all the talk was how the hospitals would be overwhelmed and folks would be dying in the streets.

now the last week has seen 4000/5000/9000 per day increases...with no corresponding increase in hospitalizations....and a decrease in deaths.

something not adding up here.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
not that i hope more folks start dying....but its not like the folks being tested suddenly contracted COVID the day of testing. these folks have had it for awahile, and the current numbers seem to indicate its far less deadly than projected (even at 1%).

rumble phish

BAMF+
Heat is not killing it like they hoped.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF

I don't see how that works out for heavy infection in super hot climates if that is a true statement from CDC who I simply don't give much credit to any more.

rumble phish

BAMF+
I don't see how that works out for heavy infection in super hot climates if that is a true statement from CDC who I simply don't give much credit to any more.
That's the point I'm making :up:

Who the fuck can we believe anymore? There is so much conflicting info out there on the COVID-19 virus (or Kung Flu, if you prefer). Some of these stories are literally days apart. One organization says one thing, another says the opposite, and a third say "maybe?". I don't think I can, at this point, be convinced that the "powers that be" and the "powers that want to be" haven't used this "pandemic" as a political baseball bat. IS the virus for real? Absolutely. Can it be deadly? Absolutely. Is it as deadly as "they" said it was" I'm very much in doubt of that.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
My primary doc put straight.. she knows I have a back ground but stopped me dead in my tracks ..

"I know you have a million questions and theories as do I.... but we are at a minimum of two years of having actual factual answers to any and all questions you have regarding this disease"

"Every day is teaching us new things.. what was true yesterday is untrue today. And what is true today may or may not be true tomorrow. So until then treat this much like electricity its all a theory yet it not a proven fact.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
i think i have a bigger problem with places cherrypicking what small businesses have to shut down vs ones that stay open...and absolutely zero talk of big businesses having to close down or otherwise limit customers.

Cant tell me that the small bar on the corner that sees 100 patrons a night is somehow a bigger risk to spreading this shit than a walmart that sees what, 20-30 thousand bodies walk thru the doors every day...and it gets to stay open 24x7?

Cant tell me that the small bar on the corner that sees 100 patrons a night is somehow a bigger risk to spreading this shit than a walmart that sees what, 20-30 thousand bodies walk thru the doors every day...and it gets to stay open 24x7?
You gotta balance size with the importance of the goods or service they provide. WalMart provides life necessities, the local watering hole....less so.

And being open 24x7 makes more sense than to reduce the hours. Otherwise you're cramming more people in that would otherwise shop at off hours.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Someone in a Panama FB asked if anyone who ran behind a DDT truck as a kid, has ever gotten the 'rona.
So far, nobody has.
Hmm :)

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Bars in Floriduh shut down.
Bars in Texas shut down.
Cases climbing rapidly across the southern area of the U. S.

Heat does not suppress COVID-19, apparently.

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
with no corresponding increase in hospitalizations....
You keep saying that, but it's not the case: Also, like I noted a few days ago, it takes some time for new cases to degrade to where they need to be hospitalized- it's going to get even worse in early July. Florida is getting worse, and Texas is getting slammed:

This is Miami-Dade:

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
That's the point I'm making :up:

Who the fuck can we believe anymore? There is so much conflicting info out there on the COVID-19 virus (or Kung Flu, if you prefer). Some of these stories are literally days apart. One organization says one thing, another says the opposite, and a third say "maybe?". I don't think I can, at this point, be convinced that the "powers that be" and the "powers that want to be" haven't used this "pandemic" as a political baseball bat. IS the virus for real? Absolutely. Can it be deadly? Absolutely. Is it as deadly as "they" said it was" I'm very much in doubt of that.
How about looking at what's worked in other places? Thailand had close to 100% mask use for months- there hasn't been a locally transmitted case in a few weeks, and only 10 since mid-May (nearly all new cases have been people who returned from overseas and tested positive while in quarantine). Masks work- it's sucks and no one enjoys doing it, but, over here, we're at the point where Covid-19 has thus far been knocked on its ass- sure, that could change, but it's been working for a long time now, and, other than heavy mask usage, the shutdown the government imposed was pretty much the same as what was done in the US.

I've been trying to get my dad here since March, and I can't do it because too many people in the US won't wear a mask for a couple weeks to help drop the numbers.

Two graphics- one from May, and one from today- the numbers have hardly increased, and nearly all were 'imported' cases:

rumble phish

BAMF+
How about looking at what's worked in other places? Thailand had close to 100% mask use for months- there hasn't been a locally transmitted case in a few weeks, and only 10 since mid-May (nearly all new cases have been people who returned from overseas and tested positive while in quarantine). Masks work- it's sucks and no one enjoys doing it, but, over here, we're at the point where Covid-19 has thus far been knocked on its ass- sure, that could change, but it's been working for a long time now, and, other than heavy mask usage, the shutdown the government imposed was pretty much the same as what was done in the US.

I've been trying to get my dad here since March, and I can't do it because too many people in the US won't wear a mask for a couple weeks to help drop the numbers.

Two graphics- one from May, and one from today- the numbers have hardly increased, and nearly all were 'imported' cases:

View attachment 38918

View attachment 38919
Comparing Thailand to the USA is apples and oranges. We have states that are bigger than Thailand, we have states that are more densely populated than Thailand. A helluva lot more people travel to, from and through the United States. But the biggest difference is the culture. It's completely different, and that's the real kicker. You just can't compare the two.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
a 10fold increase in "positives" should result in far more hospitlizations if all the doom and gloom is accurate.

everyone keeps saying "just wait..its coming"....memorial day was literally 30 days ago and everyone said "oh just wait till all these folks celebrating start dying"

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Comparing Thailand to the USA is apples and oranges. We have states that are bigger than Thailand, we have states that are more densely populated than Thailand. A helluva lot more people travel to, from and through the United States. But the biggest difference is the culture. It's completely different, and that's the real kicker. You just can't compare the two.
Not really. There are cites here (like Bangkok) that have huge populations (~8,300,000 people in the 2010 census, at 14,000+ per square mile density). There are ~40,000,000 tourist arrivals per year, which is about half what the US gets in a much smaller area.. The fact is that the spread started to get bad, the people started wearing masks, and it got knocked back. Thailand had the first diagnosed case outside of China, and they've managed to hold it to just over 3,000 cases.

Masks work.

And I've lived in both countries for ~20 years each- so, yeah, I can compare the two. Packed mass transportation, packed markets and malls, packed festivals, extremely crowded streets (especially in highly-touristed areas), etc. Thais aren't as touchy-feely as Americans, but they're often in large groups in close proximity to each other, and that's how Covid-19 spreads.

The US is ranked 1st in pandemic preparedness (though we may slip a notch or two after this mess)- then it's UK, Netherlands, OZ, and Canada- Thailand is ranked #6- it's not all beaches and coconuts here:

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
a 10fold increase in "positives" should result in far more hospitlizations if all the doom and gloom is accurate.

everyone keeps saying "just wait..its coming"....memorial day was literally 30 days ago and everyone said "oh just wait till all these folks celebrating start dying"
Hospitalizations are increasing in the states where cases are increasing- it's getting worse. People acted like it was over when the shutdowns started ending, instead of taking appropriate precautions, and now things are right back to where they were before. First comes the surge of infections, then the more serious cases emerge over time. I understand what you're saying, but I think it's gonna get pretty bad, at least for a short time.

I talked to a friend who is a nurse. She worked the Covid unit at her hospital in Central IL that was in a hot spot. She pretty much told me the same thing Simon was saying about ventilators, oxygen, blood clots, strokes, etc.. She also said they shut down the Covid unit 3 weeks ago as there weren't enough patients to justify it anymore.

nomad

BAMF
My primary doc put straight.. she knows I have a back ground but stopped me dead in my tracks ..

"I know you have a million questions and theories as do I.... but we are at a minimum of two years of having actual factual answers to any and all questions you have regarding this disease"

"Every day is teaching us new things.. what was true yesterday is untrue today. And what is true today may or may not be true tomorrow. So until then treat this much like electricity its all a theory yet it not a proven fact.
Pity the medical establishment is not so forthright about other areas of current medical practice...

There are ~40,000,000 tourist arrivals per year
Woa, thats why i am not there. I figured the damn tourists would be the problem, not the country or the climate. What are entry requirements now?

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Woa, thats why i am not there. I figured the damn tourists would be the problem, not the country or the climate. What are entry requirements now?
Incoming flights have been banned for months for non-Thais, and the Thai citizens who return from overseas have to undergo a mandatory 14-day quarantine. The entry requirements will be relaxed a bit from July 1st, allowing entry for people with Thai families (that would mean me, but not my dad), some business people, some teachers and students, etc, but only from certain countries, and I doubt the US will make the cut. The 14-day quarantine will remain in effect. No tourists except (possibly) 'medical tourists'. Everyone will have to provide proof of a recent health check at immigration upon arrival.

rumble phish

BAMF+
Incoming flights have been banned for months for non-Thais, and the Thai citizens who return from overseas have to undergo a mandatory 14-day quarantine. The entry requirements will be relaxed a bit from July 1st, allowing entry for people with Thai families (that would mean me, but not my dad), some business people, some teachers and students, etc, but only from certain countries, and I doubt the US will make the cut. The 14-day quarantine will remain in effect. No tourists except (possibly) 'medical tourists'. Everyone will have to provide proof of a recent health check at immigration upon arrival.
Can you imagine the total shit show if Trump tried this? The Dems and leftists would lose their collective minds.

There is one of the biggest differences in culture. That and the mask thing.

nomad

BAMF

Story at-a-glance

• Erin Olszewski, a nurse turned undercover reporter and whistleblower, reveals the horrific maltreatment of COVID-19 patients at Elmhurst Hospital Center, the public hospital in Queens, New York, that is “the epicenter of the epicenter” of the COVID-19 pandemic in the U.S.
  • Olszewski addresses a number of problems at Elmhurst, including the disproportionate mortality rate among people of color and the controversial rule surrounding Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) orders
  • Elmhurst does not segregate COVID-positive and COVID-negative patients, thereby ensuring maximum spread of the disease among noninfected patients coming in with other health problems
  • Patients who repeatedly tested negative for COVID-19 were still listed as confirmed positive and placed on mechanical ventilation, thus artificially inflating the case numbers while condemning the patient to death from lung injury

Watch it before its gone...

Austin_F

BAMF+
Just read that the EU wants to prevent Americans coming in. Putting up a border, if you will.

I wonder if there will be an outcry of 'borders don't stop a virus, let people travel' like when Trump wanted to ban arrivals from China right in the very beginning.

Top Bottom