CORONAVIRUS

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
There are potential financial ramifications- WFH could kill manufacturers that make- and retail stores that sell- business clothing and accoutrements, just like companies that manufacture shaving equipment were hurt when half the men in the US grew a Taliban beard. Mass transit will take a big hit, as will restaurants that serve lunch. There are actually possible consequences that could negatively affect the economy, especially in big cities.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
It's not as though it will cost Jax much of anything.
from the article:
While the city has to reserve the $50 million of increased cost to the budget, the city expects 87.5% of that money will be reimbursed by FEMA within a year or so. The remaining 12.5% will come from the $160 million in funding the city received from the federal CARES Act
Did I mention that our dept is 100% self supporting?? Our salaries, benefits, vehicles, operating costs, services provided are all covered by permit fees. Unlike the Coppers or the Hose toters or the DPW fellas... we earn the City some loot. The property appraisers office comes in 2nd with the Code enforcement. The appraisers have a billion dollars worth of property or more not collecting any taxes. The mayornaise wanted to sell our local utility JEA for some loot... but they could just sell all the foreclosed/levied properties and increase the revenue stream. Nope.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
I don't keep track of particulars, but the last two Board Of Finance meetings in this little town pushed the six hour mark. :eyepopping1a:
Everybody wants something, anybody giving anything has lots less to spread around.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
Im amazed at how Mayberry things are here...lol. I can only imagine the loot that gets sprinkled around by "developers"... And the mother fuckers cut my expressway to downtown to make room for waterfront development.

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

FuttBucker3000
Website
lemonparty.org
There are potential financial ramifications- WFH could kill manufacturers that make- and retail stores that sell- business clothing and accoutrements, just like companies that manufacture shaving equipment were hurt when half the men in the US grew a Taliban beard. Mass transit will take a big hit, as will restaurants that serve lunch. There are actually possible consequences that could negatively affect the economy, especially in big cities.
That's just scratching the surface...

I've been in talks so much about what WFH will be, I don't even know if I'm repeating myself here (so take free posts on me)...

I see 3 key elements of a career, especially when one is in their 20's just starting out: what you can do, who you know and who you are. The last two are severely compromised in WFH

How do you differentiate yourself now?

I'm sensing that the youngsters are slowly figuring this out now, and there is growing realization if not alarms that their 20's might be lost, if not outright fuckered

Was talking to my son today and can see that the initial elation of WFH is truly done and dusted. I think he'll be OK, being a developer in one of the planet's biggest studios in one of the few segments that's thriving. But he is so done with WFH...

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
talk about narrowly focused...lol

Police & Fire... cant work from home
Doctors and nurses cant work from home
Tradespeople... cant work from home.

Your therapist can work from home via zoom.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
But he is so done with WFH...
I can imagine that sentiment if you're young and have an active social life.

Myself, I've been WFH for almost ten years maybe? Definitely at least eight+.
For the longest time, I'd only go onsite maybe once every three months for a meeting.
Till they revoked WFH from the job I was doing and I had to take another job in the same company that was WFH.
But that one was only WFH 3-4 days a week.
And it sucked. That one or two days a week would mess with my schedule for the rest of the week.
Having to wake up an hour earlier. :fu:
I rejoice in the fact that my job may permanently be WFH going forward.

I'm older, crankier, prefer the company of my dogs (even when they bark in my ear).
People need to just leave me TF alone.
I'll come out from under my shell, for my occasional socializing when I get the itch.
Which is like once every three months :lol:

I've been WFH for several years without any formal agreement / approval. Basically just an understanding with my manager. I am concerned that when my employer returns to normal operations, I will be told that I need to start driving to Cleveland every day, again. Only way I'll do that is if I can't find another job closer to home.

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com
working from home is not all it's cracked up to be...

but not paying rent if you can help it is a no brainer...

i wasted way to many Fed. Res. Notes keeping my ass in an awsome 2nd floor shop on Bayview street in the middle of the public...

WHEN I"M NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC... WTF was i thinking...?

Vegas12

BAMF+
Did I mention that our dept is 100% self supporting?? Our salaries, benefits, vehicles, operating costs, services provided are all covered by permit fees. Unlike the Coppers or the Hose toters or the DPW fellas... we earn the City some loot. The property appraisers office comes in 2nd with the Code enforcement. The appraisers have a billion dollars worth of property or more not collecting any taxes. The mayornaise wanted to sell our local utility JEA for some loot... but they could just sell all the foreclosed/levied properties and increase the revenue stream. Nope.

Are you suggesting your cops don't write citations???

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

FuttBucker3000
Website
lemonparty.org
...and more on the miracle of WFH

Facebook will require employees who opt for WFH to declare their address, and their comp will be adjusted accordingly

"Nobody moving to Thailand while still making $350G/year"

The squeeze begins. It's gonna be a helluva ride to watch this play out

nomad

BAMF
CORONAVIRUS
COVID-19 vaccine trials: Massive testing planned in U.S. to meet year-end goals
Between 100,000 to 150,000 volunteers expected to be enrolled in half a dozen vaccine trials this summer, scientists say.

150,000 sheeple are going to volunteer to act as lab rats.... Mind bending

nomad

BAMF
OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

FuttBucker3000
Website
lemonparty.org
Brazil is out of control so Trump blacklisted travel

I would've thought there already was a travel ban?

Any way, it's sort of hard to label him a xenophobe on this one like all the 'experts' did with China and their claims of little evidence that travel bans work

nomad

BAMF
Annika Linde, who oversaw Sweden’s response to swine flu and Sars as state epidemiologist from 2005 to 2013, had until now expressed support for her country’s approach under her successor, Anders Tegnell.

But she has now become the first member of the public health establishment to break ranks, saying she has changed her mind as a result of Sweden’s relatively high death toll compared with that of its neighbours, Denmark, Norway, and Finland.

nomad

BAMF
Your Mouthwash Could Be Your Best Ally in the Fight Against Coronavirus

New research shows many dental mouthwashes destroy the lipid layer of coronaviruses and reduce the replication of the virus in the throat and salivary glands, making mouthwash an important preventive in early COVID-19 illnesses.

nomad

BAMF
Newly Developed Face Mask Neutralizes COVID-19 With Ultraviolet Light

Oracle Lighting has developed a new ultraviolet light system to be worn under face masks that will sanitize the air, neutralize live viruses such as COVID-19 and protect against the 5% of particulate that manages to get past N95 masks.

nomad

BAMF
How Facebook and YouTube Are Trying to Control Information About COVID-19

In an effort to quash the sharing of information on lockdown protests and any other news that doesn’t fit with what “official” press releases say, social media giants Facebook and YouTube are censoring and taking down any posts they deem out of order.
The censorship doesn’t stop with ordinary, everyday social media users: Scientists, physicians and even those with “top-tier credentials” are also being blocked from sharing their thoughts and knowledge.

Facebook, which more than half of all Americans use, has repeatedly censored groups trying to organize anti-lockdown protests. “Events that defy governments’ guidance on social distancing aren’t allowed on Facebook,” a Facebook spokesman said on April 20.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Amazon should offer a "Made in USA" search filter like you see below.
Send an email to Amazon with this suggestion! feedback@amazon.com primary@amazon.com
fack all their email addys are dead

It would be nice if each country they service were offered a filter for that particular country.
But especially for the USA as this is where Amazon is based out of.

Last edited:

nomad

BAMF
Allegedly Virus-Free Montenegro Wants Tourists Only From Low-Infection Countries

ontenegro is giving tourism love only to countries such as Greece, Croatia, Slovenia, Germany, and Albania, where the coronavirus outbreak currently has low-infection rates. Limitations such as this will be deciding factors as countries reopen tourism.

nomad

BAMF
Coronavirus Lock Down, Bad Dreams and Bad Sleep

Story at-a-glance
  • With people around the globe facing unprecedented levels of stress and anxiety, ranging from financial worries and anxiety to loneliness amid social distancing, sleep quality suffers
  • Being largely confined to your home influences many factors that affect sleep quality, including disruptions to daily routine, lack of daylight exposure, decreased social interactions and more
  • Proper sleep is associated with a reduced risk of infection and can improve the outcome of infections if you’re ill, while modest, night-to-night reductions in sleep lead to increases in anxiety the next day
  • Keep a regular bedtime and wakeup time; this will bring some structure to your day, especially for children
  • You can also use the current situation to follow your natural sleep rhythm more closely; if you’re a night owl, for instance, you may naturally prefer to stay up later and sleep later

nomad

BAMF
Study of Two COVID-19 Antibody Tests Shows One More Accurate Than the Other

A study of two different FDA-authorized COVID-19 antibody tests — Abbott and Euroimmun — found that Abbott was more accurate and had fewer overall errors than the Euroimmun test, although some inaccuracies were thought to be tied to the timing of the tests; for instance, if the person was completely well or very ill.

nomad

BAMF
Arthritis Drug May Improve Respiratory Function in Seriously Ill COVID-19 Patients

A small study involving eight patients in Greece found that the clinically approved anti-inflammatory drug anakinra, used to treat rheumatoid arthritis, improved respiratory function in critically ill COVID-19 patients.

Top Bottom