CORONAVIRUS

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

FuttBucker3000
Website
lemonparty.org
Why would home values drop?
Mostly urban centers and premier locations...

Who is gonna pay $2M for a 1200 sq ft house in California?

Be prepared for lower wages

Be prepared for work spyware everywhere

Be prepared to work 24/7

Be prepared to lose your weekends

Be prepared to work more without the commensurate pay '

Be prepared to compete for jobs vying against Asian workers willing to work for $6/hour and weekends

I'm talking mainly knowledge workers here. For the likes of Zuckerberg, this is a wet dream

'Boss, it's 8PM Friday night, why are you emailing me?'

'hey, what are you complaining about? you get to work from home!'

I've done WFH a lot, since the 90's. I figured out pretty quick it was a trap and the initial 'honeymoon' wore off after a few months

Time will tell, we shall see...

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

FuttBucker3000
Website
lemonparty.org
"Hey Mr. luckystrike, we're moving you to permanent WFH. Oh, and we'd like our company issue laptop back. Since everybody has a personal laptop these days, you'll have to use it if you want to work here. Oh, and while you're at it, we'd like you to install this WFH monitoring software on your PERSONAL laptop. Thank you for your cooperation..."

Why would home values drop?
They won't.
People will be spending an extra 8-10 hours inside their homes every day, and are more likely to improve them, less likely to allow them to turn into shit holes. Some will create or improve their home office space, and some of those folks will figure out how to write off their office upgrades on their taxes, increasing the likelihood of improvement.
It's all good, except for a little increased wear and tear on the main traffic routes to the refrigerator and shitter.

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

FuttBucker3000
Website
lemonparty.org
They won't.
People will be spending an extra 8-10 hours inside their homes every day, and are more likely to improve them, less likely to allow them to turn into shit holes. Some will create or improve their home office space, and some of those folks will figure out how to write off their office upgrades on their taxes, increasing the likelihood of improvement.
It's all good, except for a little increased wear and tear on the main traffic routes to the refrigerator and shitter.
Bullshit

Real estate is about location, location, location

A big component of location is about to evaporate

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as "ill fuK anything" lucystrike
They won't.
IF a company wanted me to work... and I am a 1099... you can bet your ass they are paying for my office space and mileage. And the hours would be set... anything outside that gets additional charges.
Also what Lucydicksucker misunderstands... the market can accomodate by offering 5 br houses as 4br w/ office. And so on.

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

FuttBucker3000
Website
lemonparty.org
IF a company wanted me to work... and I am a 1099... you can bet your ass they are paying for my office space and mileage. And the hours would be set... anything outside that gets additional charges.
Also what Lucydicksucker misunderstands... the market can accomodate by offering 5 br houses as 4br w/ office. And so on.
"(in a Zoom session) Mr Schiavo, I'd like to introduce you to Mr. Sandeep from Bangalor. He will be using his own gear and available 16 hours a day, every day of the week. Please commence knowledge transfer. Thank you for your cooperation..."

Who's "We", and what are "we" a week into?
Is that like the "Free Beer Tomorrow" sign at the local watering hole?

Regardless, if you're devastated that the infection rate is falling, you're a fucking cunt regardless of what happens in 10-15 days. Most likely, you will be a cunt then, too. :fu:

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as "ill fuK anything" lucystrike
"(in a Zoom session) Mr Schiavo, I'd like to introduce you to Mr. Sandeep from Bangalor. He will be using his own gear and available 16 hours a day, every day of the week. Please commence knowledge transfer. Thank you for your cooperation..."
I would hold up a $$$$$ sign and demand to be paid in Bitcoins!! :fu: Ive never been forthcoming on exit training...lol.

roadczar

BAMF
Website
www.roadczar.com
This is nothing new. Over 90% of my teams were in India for the last 15 years.

RobBase

BAMF
As a contractor I have to echo what VC said. I'm busier now than before corona. All the WFH people are finally looking at their shitbox builder homes and calling people like me to fix and change things they never noticed before.
And as far as I can tell, work done by hands, can never be outsourced, teleworked or made in Chinka.

Last edited:
Who's "We", and what are "we" a week into?
You losing your marbles? We're talking about the end of the lockdown and the message being implied by the linked Tweet is that it had no effect on the infection rate - which I'm pointing out is a premature conclusion given that many states reopened in the last week or two.

Regardless, if you're devastated that the infection rate is falling, you're a fucking cunt regardless of what happens in 10-15 days. Most likely, you will be a cunt then, too. :fu:
You have lost your marbles. Where did I say I was disappointed that the infection rate is falling? I think it's great news, but we're not out of the woods yet.

The real cunts are the people who have no qualms about killing off the elderly so they can go to restaurants. Fuck you very much :fu:

"Mr Schiavo, I'd like to introduce you to Mr. Sandeep from Bangalor. He will be using his own gear and available 16 hours a day, every day of the week. Please commence knowledge transfer. Thank you for your cooperation..."
I lived it in 2009. International company, one of the top guys in the Americas called my group into a meeting to tell us our fucking jobs were going to India. I called him on the carpet in front of everyone. Talk about stunned silence, you've never seen so many adults nervously staring at their own feet.

The leverage they used against us was that we wouldn't receive severance pay unless we played nicely with "our Indian partners". For me that was 20 weeks' pay, heading into joblessness and a deep recession... with my wife recently laid off... with a newborn and 2 other daughters to feed.

You have lost your marbles...
The real cunts are the people who have no qualms about killing off the elderly so they can go to restaurants. Fuck you very much :fu:
One of us may have lost their marbles, but it ain't me. Here's a little clue for ya: I'm not in a restaurant, I haven't even showered in almost a week, and I'm heading out to mow my leach field now. Killing off the elderly? I AM the fucking elderly! Fuck you twice as much.:fu::fu:

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

FuttBucker3000
Website
lemonparty.org
This is nothing new. Over 90% of my teams were in India for the last 15 years.
I lived through the software development outsourcing movement from day 1. In the mid '00s it was surging

All of us thought we were doomed

Then the realities of remote work hit the ever-squeezing margin managers

Fast forward to just before China virus and software developers are in bigger demand than ever and among the best paid jobs out there. The vocation settled into a happy medium of remote and local

But remote work failed to blossom into what many thought it would back in the early days. Not really sure what makes so many think it will now...

BTW If all these developers aren't going to an office anymore, they've just lost the last shred of any opportunity to get laid lol Developers with even the lowliest social mannerisms were still able to smash with the odd admin worker here and there :D

If any real estate takes a hit due to this WFH movement, I would think it would be commercial office space.

I still have a cubicle in Cleveland. I've seen it twice in the past two and a half years. I finally convinced them to disconnect the landline in my cube about 6 months ago, but only after someone thought it was their own great idea. They came up with an initiative to get rid of phones that nobody uses, gave it a fancy name, then patted themselves on the back for doing what should have been obvious 5 years ago.

Yeah, the more I think about it, commercial office space is toast.

One of us may have lost their marbles, but it ain't me. Here's a little clue for ya: I'm not in a restaurant, I haven't even showered in almost a week, and I'm heading out to mow my leach field now. Killing off the elderly? I AM the fucking elderly! Fuck you twice as much.:fu::fu:
I wasn't saying you were killing off the elderly, just deflecting your original statement.

And go take a shower, I can smell you getting off the elevator :fu:

Fucking mower took a shit down at the bottom of my back yard, had to recruit the warden to help me push it back to the garage.
Grass is a foot tall, mower's fucked, and it's gonna rain for 8 of the next 9 days. Gotta buy my parts online so I don't have to risk getting the China Virus at the mower store.
And I need a damn shower.

Give it a few years, the new hot thing will be to have workers show up in person to a central office because it "synergizes productivity through a centralized workflow" aka get me out of this house with a nagging spouse and screaming kids because I can't get shit done and I'm drinking whiskey out of a solo cup and it's not even 11 AM yet.

Austin_F

BAMF+
Give it a few years, the new hot thing will be to have workers show up in person to a central office because it "synergizes productivity through a centralized workflow" aka get me out of this house with a nagging spouse and screaming kids because I can't get shit done and I'm drinking whiskey out of a solo cup and it's not even 11 AM yet.
It wasn't all that long ago that modern companies moved from cubicles to an open floor plan with everyone piled on top of each other. Supposed to help collaboration etc.

Where I work, the office area had a bunch of big desks in a large room, with 4 people per desk. Now of course they have panels up due to CV and theyre back to cubicles :)

Last edited:

rumble phish

BAMF+
No shit, right? :lol:

Everyone thinks working from home is sooo great, but the truth of it is that it's no picnic. Not everyone is cut out to work from home and be productive. You have to either be a natural self-starter or you have to learn how to be. Balance is crucial and it is something most folks lack.

It wasn't all that long ago that modern companies moved from cubicles to an open floor plan with everyone piled on top of each other. Supposed to help collaboration etc.

Where I work, the office area had a bunch of big desks in a large room, with 4 people per desk. Now of course they have panels up due to CV and theyre back to cubicles :)
It's funny how it cycles.

In the 50s-70s, everyone (at least if you worked in a police department or newspaper agency as depicted by Hollywood) was together in a large room, sitting at drab colored heavy metal desks with wood veneer tops, typewriters clacking away as people chain smoked through their day.

Guess people got tired of that shit and in the 80s, started moving into cubicles with the advent of the personal computer. Think fabric cubicle walls, oversized suits and gold watches.

Fast forward to the last 10 years and we're back to open floor plans only the desk quality has declined, the typewriters are now paper thin Macbooks and people are chugging down soy lattes instead of unfiltered Camels.

I've never had an office job but I don't think I'd enjoy it. I hate wearing ties with a passion, feels like a noose.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
It's not as though it will cost Jax much of anything.
from the article:
While the city has to reserve the $50 million of increased cost to the budget, the city expects 87.5% of that money will be reimbursed by FEMA within a year or so. The remaining 12.5% will come from the $160 million in funding the city received from the federal CARES Act

Austin_F

BAMF+
lol with all the inventive ideas coming out for graduations, gotta feel sorry for the first year that graduates the old way. Sorry class of 2025, nothing fancy for you. Just walk across a stage and keep your mouth shut.

Give it a few years, the new hot thing will be to have workers show up in person to a central office because "we need a hard stop on this WFH so we can get boots on the ground and leverage our bandwidth such that our messaging is in lock step so we can move the needle with our synergy. We’ll drive a paradigm shift when we piggyback our new alignment with our very unique toolkit so that our deep dive will be most impactful."

Top Bottom