College cheating scandal- learned something about myself

simon520

Fixes humans and shoots everything else
So my old rowing coach, Zenon Babraj, who has coached USC women’s crew for almost 20 years, is Implicated in this cheating scandal. This guy is my hero. he coached me for a couple years when I was at UCLA and we won the PAC-10’s and pretty much every fucking thing and I even had a chance to row for England but I gave it up to go to medical school. anyway it was all due to this guy because the same team a year before with a different coach we didn’t do shit.

I was reading his bio to see what he done. I was reading the part about what he did at UCLA and they said something interesting- that one of his crews got bronze at the IRA which is the highest placing national result for a UCLA crew ever. The year after I left school I hosted that entire 1990 crew when they came out to Washington DC for a meet. I was there in med school and I took them all out to dinner with my starter wife (who wasn’t my wife yet but she was a women’s crew member for UCLA- how I met her) and they were a good bunch of kids and they went on to get a bronze at the IRA national championships.

Well, me and Ritchie Sax in 1985 took a boat to the IRA. The varsity 8 had a disappointing year and I was the only sophomore on the varsity boat in the varsity 8 boat. because of our placing at the PAC 10 championships we were eligible to row at the national championships but the boat didn’t feel they deserved it. I was like fuck that I worked my ass off I’m fucking going so Richie and I trained in a two man boat called a pair. It’s pretty hard to row and we had two weeks before the championship so basically we just got to the point where we weren’t sinking it before we have to leave for the race.

We qualified easily for the final. The coxless pair does not have a little dude steering for you which the eight-man boats do so as the bow person I had to steer the fucking thing by turning my foot and you know you get pretty involved rowing your guts out and you kind of forget about steering so we Ended up racing in lanes four, five and six. we didn’t get disqualified because we were so far ahead of those boats we didn’t interfere with them. It’s a 2000 m race and at the 1500 m Mark we were way ahead of everybody else and just cruising to a victory but then we realized we hadn’t practiced a wind up which is the final sprint the last 500 m and when we brought up the stroke rate the boat started crashing wildly side to side and we damn near sank it. Two other crews ended up nipping us at the finish line including guys we called the flying burrito Brothers; they had Hispanic last name. They went on to be chosen as the Olympic pair and I recall they ended up medaling but we fucking had them crushed.

We got bronze medals. We were pissed off; we shoulda won it. I should mention that the pair isn’t a marquee event; typically the best 8 oarsmen row the varsity 8, then the next 8 go to the JV boat. if your program is good and large and has the money the next best 4 row the 4man boat. It’s rare to be able to field a pair. So at the time it was unheard of on the West Coast and there werent too many 2 man boats on the East Coast. I don’t recall there being too many heats in our event maybe there were 15 boats entered. Varsity 8’s have 100’s for example.

But, we got Bronze in the IRA national championship. Which is, as I found out in Babraj’s bio, equal to the highest national ranking finish for a UCLA men’s intercollegiate crew ever- the varsity 8 did it in 1990. But we did it first and I guess the result was lost to history. The IRA has historical results back to 1999. But not 1985-1986.

Yeah. You fuckers have been reading posts by a fucking athletic GOD and didn’t even know.

Now you do.

gsxrian

BAMF
So you idolize a cheat .... says a lot about your character!

rumble phish

BAMF+
We are humbled to be in your presence, digitally speaking.

But back to your old Coach... was he party to this admissions scandal? Did he participate? If so, he's a worthless fuck in my book.

rumble phish

BAMF+
So you idolize a cheat .... says a lot about your character!
It's gotta be hard to realize that someone you held in such high regard turned out to be "human" after all. We are all fallible but some make bigger mistakes, and for the worst of reasons (greed).

nomad

BAMF
Those skiffs are cool. Always wanted to try a race. My sports were always on water but a lot faster :)

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
What was it you realized about yourself?
I missed that part, God.

rg500

BAMF
Didn't name it, didn't write it. It's about rowing in the 1936 Olympics...just thought Simon might be interested..

Fuck I just noticed...

I’m pretty sure I have a Polaroid of me and Christy canyon too :biggar:

Top Bottom