Close Call, and the MF'er Gets Told Off But Good

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
"I'm gonna wait till he comes back, and apologize".

He's a twat, but kudo's on not running away from being an idiot.

BigHock

BAMF
I’m pretty sure I dated that chick for a couple of weeks.

Cali: wow these roads rule. Let’s hangout on the shoulder and run up and down, speeding all over.

East Coast: wow these roads rule. Let’s do some road crime and get the fuk out of here.

DaCat

BAMF
Fark, that was close :eek:

He did own up to it, which is cool. Most cunts would just run off. We all mess up at some stage.

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Nothing to do with the original vid, but very typical of Thailand (tourist taking a taxi-scooter to the airport in Phuket- I almost flipped a Suzuki Caribian/Samurai on that same road back in 2001):

RobBase

BAMF
I like these threads, because it gives me pause to think,.........how the fuck do these things happen?
Sorta like this one.......
I just don't understand what the rider was doing for the last 100-200 yards.

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
You just have no idea (you have to experience it in person) -there's zero road awareness- in comparison, even Floridians by-and-large drive great.:lol:

Here's the latest monthly vid -the one at 4:05 happened not far from me- two people dead, including a fairly famous actor:

DungBeatle

Scarabaeidae Scarabaeinae
Here in Idaho we not only have to watch for Moose, Elk, Deer, Foxes, Coyotes, Bears, etc., on the road, but in our yards as well. We have a momma moose and her baby come to munch on my plants all the time. Deer have worn a path through my yard. Cougars have been reported nearby. We don't run into them all that often. They all have to cross the roads sometime. What gets hit the most are Skunks and Porcupines. It's 6° (make that 3°) right now and nothing is moving around outside.

Last edited:

RobBase

BAMF
You just have no idea (you have to experience it in person) -there's zero road awareness- in comparison, even Floridians by-and-large drive great.:lol:

Here's the latest monthly vid -the one at 4:05 happened not far from me- two people dead, including a fairly famous actor:

You know I watched that entire video and 2 more after it and I still say
"I'm seein' it but I'm not believin' it."
I just don't understand how any of those accidents happened, but I wonder if I say DWA (Driving While Asian) is a reality,
would I get charged with racism ala Bell Curve?

P.S. I wouldn't drive in Thailand in anything less than a Stryker armored vehicle, preferably an M1 Abrams.

RobBase

BAMF
So I just happened to click on one too many of these things and this one really makes me wonder
about the culture and society of Thailand or maybe any other Asian country and how they value
human life compared to the U.S.

No one at any time attempts to help the innocent victim, I mean no one. The piece of shit that
killed her is more interested in the damage to his car than the person he murdered. Perhaps they can tell
that she is dead just by looking? She was alive after the hit even though she probably
got her neck or spine snapped in half. I just don't get it.

DaCat

BAMF
Gobrian, out of interest, what are the driving tests like in Thailand? What is involved to get a license?

Obviously rules of the road appear to be more like guidelines there (and here as well for a selected few, our mini-bus taxi industry is one of them).

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
There's no real training, and the driving test is a joke. 'Driver's Ed' in the US is a PhD program in comparison, especially compared to more rural areas here. As far as accidents go,the norm is to take off if possible, even if someone is hurt- with the advent of of security cameras, though, that's becoming less common.

If you just pay attention, you'll generally be OK- it's just that so few people do. I'm really good at predicting the idiotic moves ( lastly because I consider everyone on the road an idiot), and have avoided any accidents so far here (knock on wood)- plenty of close calls, though.

It's not racial- it's cultural, and much has to do with poor enforcement of driving laws (as well as slap-on-the-wrist penalties for some pretty major offenses in the rare instance someone is caught). There's also a big issue with inflated injury and damage claims- the general rule is to keep distance until police/EMT and insurance adjusters (who always come to the scene) show up- I agree it can be pretty heartless, but people do usually render aid and comfort to the injured- it's not all about one scene in a video. I pass a fair number of accident scenes, and there's almost always someone helping out victims (I'll stop if no one else is doing anything, but it's pretty rare that I have to unless I was there when it occurred).

Wretch

amazingly graceful
The one thing that bugs me here in the US is people stopping in the middle of a highway to make a left turn across heavy traffic.

The only thing I can figure is that they've never been in a hard crash before and think since it wouldn't be their fault being rear ended, that they are safe.
I can't sit on the highway waiting to turn and expect not to be hit, no matter what I'm piloting...
...besides creating a line of cars waiting for me to get the fuck out of the way.
Shit, I'll even drive a mile down the road to turn left easier and come back to make a right hand turn off the highway.

Watching these videos it seems like it would be a good idea if everyone did the same, everywhere.

BigHock

BAMF
Nothing to do with the original vid, but very typical of Thailand (tourist taking a taxi-scooter to the airport in Phuket- I almost flipped a Suzuki Caribian/Samurai on that same road back in 2001):

That road heading from the airport to Patong is wicked. Com8ng down the hill into town can be ridiculous.

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
It's also deceptive due to the elevation changes- I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the road as I was fighting the Caribian (I'm sure you've driven one- that transmission is a joy, especially with 100,000+ tourist kilometers on it), and suddenly found myself sliding across a curve- FUCK!!! I was lucky there was no one near me at the time- two wheels left the pavement- those damned things will flip if you give them a hard look.:lol:

BigHock

BAMF

That dog is a pimp! Some real atrocious shit there.

BigHock

BAMF
It's also deceptive due to the elevation changes- I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the road as I was fighting the Caribian (I'm sure you've driven one- that transmission is a joy, especially with 100,000+ tourist kilometers on it), and suddenly found myself sliding across a curve- FUCK!!! I was lucky there was no one near me at the time- two wheels left the pavement- those damned things will flip if you give them a hard look.:lol:
Thailand tries to kill you at every turn or curve. :lol:

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Can't really blame LOS for that one- they could have written on my tombstone, 'Hey, at least he saved $15 by renting a shitty pseudo-Jeep with no brakes, shitty tires, and a shot transmission/suspension instead of a reasonably safe econobox.'

Granted, I'd have needed a pretty big tombstone to fit all that....

BigHock

BAMF
Come on, you have done sillier shit than that. I’m thinking a nice mausoleum with plenty of room for your epitaph.

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
We're living the Buddhist way these days- I'll be on the shelf in an urn- not much room for anything but the highlights.:wink2:

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
That’s the way to do it. No need to take up space when we are gone.
Agreed.

I found a couple pics of that trip to Phuket, including the Caribian that tried to kill me, the Jeep I upgraded to as I wanted to live a while longer (it was about 3% safer, and it wasn't a turbo...) and a couple chicks I banged (the one on the left worked at the 'Rock Hard A-Go-Go'- don't tell me you haven't been there...). Man, that was a long time ago...:

F7E6C630-C1FF-4720-B080-6FE646F0BB19.jpeg

AC3B31DE-E4EF-4DF9-943E-B15AEB1277CE.jpeg

E58254B4-962F-4085-8D32-AD785CD0887E.jpeg

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Ah, the Rock Hard A-Go-Go- I loved that place:

1E7A894A-1B40-4311-A95A-1AED869A08A9.jpeg

3D84DA7B-C204-41C1-8E91-5CE3CD97EE30.jpeg

746880D3-E95E-4BF1-B686-E75FF6FD6304.jpeg

luckystrike

Mr. Floaty Shit
Website
lemonparty.org
So I just happened to click on one too many of these things and this one really makes me wonder
about the culture and society of Thailand or maybe any other Asian country and how they value
human life compared to the U.S.

No one at any time attempts to help the innocent victim, I mean no one. The piece of shit that
killed her is more interested in the damage to his car than the person he murdered. Perhaps they can tell
that she is dead just by looking? She was alive after the hit even though she probably
got her neck or spine snapped in half. I just don't get it.

Life is cheap in most of the world.

What fucks me up about the Thai vids is not the carnage, but orienting myself because of the opposite drive side...in some cases it's more difficult to 'see it coming'

BigGar

high on placebo
It seems like the best orthopedic surgeons and neurologists would come from Thailand. No doubt they get a lot of experience fixing people, unless people just don't really get fixed there. Fucking brutal stuff.

Top Bottom