Cleaning rescued tools from a fire

DavidDole

BAMF+
Is there any kind of lquid or chemical that will clean tooling like wreches,sockets,ect after being in a fire? My shop burned and I'm trying to save as much of the tooling that I possibly can

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
When The UN flooded they threw every single tool and machine in all the trades shops.. the decontamination company said it was cheaper to replace them save them.. must have been over 750k worth of equipment and tools..

Maybe a soaking in WD 40 barrels

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I think they are basically wrecked...

...any heat treatments have been compromised...

OP

DavidDole

BAMF+
I'm talking about basic stuff like wrenches,sockets,ect. That place got hot. One of my spare engines was on engine stand in there and it burnt the cases slap off the crank and transmission. The head was melted off leaving valve seats,valves,springs and cams behind on the floor :O

rumble phish

BAMF+
I'm talking about basic stuff like wrenches,sockets,ect. That place got hot. One of my spare engines was on engine stand in there and it burnt the cases slap off the crank and transmission. The head was melted off leaving valve seats,valves,springs and cams behind on the floor :O

That is fucking hot, and not in a good way. I concur with Hapo on this. I think it's time to replace those tools. Did you have any kind of insurance?

BilletMan

BAMF+
Good fucking grief, DD! Holy shit you've had SO much loss, enough for 10 regular people! Your shop was blown away, robbed, now this...keep on, if you can! Damn bro, so sorry to read this...

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com
a mix of vinegar and some penetrating oil... lot's of coarse 3M pads and copious amounts of elbow grease...

sorry to hear... the tempers may be off if the they baked long enough... a quick run of a fine file or saw blade in an inconspicuous spot may tell you what you need to know...

...but even fucked tools are better than no tools...

Good luck!

Stetson

BAMF
Maybe throw wrenches and sockets and small stuff in a little cement mixer with some blasting media?

BilletMan

BAMF+
Did you lose everything? Drag bikes? What was the cause of the fire? Geezus man...

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com
Maybe throw wrenches and sockets and small stuff in a little cement mixer with some blasting media?

:up:...that may just work... then dry and rub em down with oil...

even a homemade vibratory tumbler/ultrasonic al la MC (a big bin and a few sanders bolted on)

wet or dry i have been waiting to build His rig... just have not have had the reason.

let us know how it works :D

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
A rock tumbler is cheap. You just ain't gonna do a ton at a time.

By the way, my tank rotisserie make so much noise, you have to put it in a different building when it's running.

I also have a Dillon Case Cleaner, I think that would do it.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
first off, sorry your place burned down that sucks.

I had loaned a buddy stuff years ago when his place burned down. The chrome turned black, I never really paid much attention to it. I still have a couple of things from that fire they work fine, just look like hell.

DaCat

BAMF
Sorry to hear about the misfortune. I hope you manage to sort things out with as little pain as possible.

Do you have a local platting company around? Maybe ask them to acid treat the tools in the acid tank/bath. Might take most of the soot off, no idea if it will work though.

Oilheadron

BAMF
David, long time no see! Good to hear from you again even under these circumstances. Good luck!!

Ron

OP

DavidDole

BAMF+
I'm not looking to get finatical or explore the steps of chroming anything. Was just wondering and hoping there might be some miracle chemical mix that would help by spraying on,lightly scrub and hose off :)

Oilheadron

BAMF
I've been looking for an excuse to stretch the legs on one of the Turbos. I'll call Mark and see if he wants to run down there too. Is your son's phone number still the same? Is your same dog still running around on patrol? :)

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
White vinegar bath followed by rough scouring pad followed by sand blasting?
I'm just guessing, no practical experience here.

The strength of the tools may be damaged/compromised but I'd bet the majority of the tools will still outlast you.

simon520

Fixes humans and shoots everything else
So
you have space for me to put the Textron Wildcat XX?

j/k

it’s carbon. Sandpaper/abrasives such as scotchbrite
Are best. You can try oven cleaner (mostly soap and potassium hydroxide, lye, but corrosive to aluminum).

id fucking leave them alone.

Nothing good will come from cleaning them. A soaking in a penetrating oil, diesel, kerosene or wd-40 (mostly kerosene anyway) then a wipe. They carry the marks of history.

Top Bottom