Christmas lights. Want some LED with old school colors not Chinesey purple & etc

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Two more weeks and it'll be time to put up the Christmas lights on the house.
A couple years back I bought some LED strings from the Home Depot but dammit the colors are all "off". Like the blue is more purple. The yellow is uh, why is there a fucking yellow. And so on, so forth.

I want some old school red/blue/green style bulbs.

All white LED setups look nice but I prefer the color bulbs on my house.

Too soon??
:fu:

• Red
Reactions: Red

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Re: Christmas lights. Want some LED with old school colors not Chinesey purple & etc

The new line of led lights at home depot are like a tape light.. then you put 3d glasses on and the lights produce a Santa head . Colors where decent. They only had the display as I could not find some to see what the price was.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Re: Christmas lights. Want some LED with old school colors not Chinesey purple & etc

I'll probably start on mind the 24th of November.

I much prefer the more pure colors of the LED's. The LED are colored via the doping of the semi conductor. Mostly. Where as the old Edison type are just colored glass that's prone to fade.
By the way, I'm a bona fide X-Mas light technician, every year I repair a few LED strings.
You can notice some LED strings having a "strobe" effect, but if you don't stare at them, no problem.
LED's use less power and generally can't burn a house down. I run a billion LED's, running that many Edison bulbs would cost a ton of money to run!

Master-Cylinder

The new line of led lights at home depot are like a tape light.. then you put 3d glasses on and the lights produce a Santa head . Colors where decent. They only had the display as I could not find some to see what the price was.

We have a whole pile of those 3D glasses with different scenes in them. Some are snowmen, Santa, Snow Flakes and stuff. Just look at any light source and see the image. Driving with a pair on at night and having hundreds of Santa heads coming at you is a real trip!

Hapo

Dog Boy

...ba...humbug...

OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

LED's use less power and generally can't burn a house down. I run a billion LED's, running that many Edison bulbs would cost a ton of money to run!
But those old Edison are big & beautiful.
Just like fuzuki's side piece.

Master-Cylinder

You can get huge LED's.
Some of the small ones I have are so bright, you can't look straight on at the ends of them. Well, you can, but's it BRITE!

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff

We have a whole pile of those 3D glasses with different scenes in them. Some are snowmen, Santa, Snow Flakes and stuff. Just look at any light source and see the image. Driving with a pair on at night and having hundreds of Santa heads coming at you is a real LSD trip!
I never knew :lol: :wink:

Master-Cylinder

I spent at least four hours last night getting X-Mas stuff down and hauling it outside. Spent another four hours tonight setting some of it up and plugging it in. Still have another six or more hours to go!

luckystrike

he/him - Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer
Website
lemonparty.org

Fuck LED as far as Christmas lights go.

LED is a 'dead' light, the sparkle of a traditional light is irreplaceable

Master-Cylinder

Fuck LED as far as Christmas lights go.

LED is a 'dead' light, the sparkle of a traditional light is irreplaceable
You must be blind! How does an Edison bulb "sparkle"? Aren't you the one who touted Plasma TV's? Where are they now? I don't see many incandescent back lit TV's.

Master-Cylinder

Fuck your LED Christmas lights :fu:

Take the same picture with a real camera set to photograph tungsten light source and then get back to me. And why the hell it the blurred glow from the Edison bulb off to one side? Was the wind blowing?

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org

I don't need no camera :fu: my eyes tell me that the contrast of an 'edison' bulb is superior to that flat, dead LED glow.

Take that LED shit to the x-ray room next time you're getting your prostrate profiled :fu:

jhinderliter

BAMF+

They still break... threw away 7 strands yesterday :fu:

Master-Cylinder

So, I'm up to at least 12 hours of outside decorating/lighting. The joyful LED radiance emitted from "display" can be seen from outer space! :up:
I still have many hours of decorating left to do, I should have started on it in September.

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org

I would never guess you're a Christmas type of guy. Do you do all these side projects to avoid having to talk to your wife?

Master-Cylinder

I would never guess you're a Christmas type of guy. Do you do all these side projects to avoid having to talk to your wife?

I talked to her last week, isn't that enough?

Reactions: A23

Rhino

K-9 BAMF

You must be blind! How does an Edison bulb "sparkle"? Aren't you the one who touted Plasma TV's? Where are they now? I don't see many incandescent back lit TV's.
I agree with this..

Rockerfella center used to make ALL their own lights. They used to lock fifty electricians on the 16 floor motor room you had 2000 foot 14 2 wire..you sat at a table and a perfect 12 inches was marked in plastic electrical tape.. you made a 25 light 25 foot light by hand.. every 12 inches you would screw a socket that had two piercing stabs as you twisted the socket backing the wire would get pierced.. you would have 5 colors red blue green yellow gold and a rubber washer.. you put the rubber washer on the end of the bulb and put a different color on each light.. test the 25 for string and go on to the next string..

Now they are all GE LED and a bunch of strobe lights added in.. only the star is rewired and rebuked every year...

Oh when it all done.. they undo the power source and just cut it up lights and all go into the trash.

The trees of incandescent lights where way better then the trees of led.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF

These are all the lights I'm putting up this year. :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bikefrk

Two Wheels. Any Surface.

I think mine looks ok

Last edited:

Master-Cylinder

I think mine look ok

Nice.:up: Snow adds to it, we don't git no snow. I spent some time last night repairing a 180 LED string. It had a couple sections out.

BigGar

high on placebo

Look good bikefrk!

M/C, let's see what you've got!

Rhino

K-9 BAMF

John did ya use the bucket truck.. I used one of the buckets and went off one year. It made life VERY EASY

Wretch

amazingly graceful

whats the white stuff on the ground in bikefrks snap?? I want some! :D
No, no you don't.
Knowing how it affects the drivers around here; I can see it being 10x the disaster if it were ever to snow that much in Florida.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF

It only is nice around the 28 inch or better mark up here. Other wise all the Uber assholes fuck traffic so bad no one goes any where. But deep snow keeps them all inside. Leaving only experienced snow driver free to do all the donuts and drifting they want. :)

TurboBlew

BAMF+
Website
www.youfuckmyleftovers.com

It only is nice around the 28 inch or better mark up here. Other wise all the Uber assholes fuck traffic so bad no one goes any where. But deep snow keeps them all inside. Leaving only experienced snow driver free to do all the donuts and drifting they want. :)
I know I still had some of my winter skillz intact around 2013 or so when I was visiting NJ during a snowstorm. Or course we get plenty of the non-freezing version in FL. :D

Master-Cylinder

Look good bikefrk!

M/C, let's see what you've got!
Here's a few, can't really get the whole enchilada because I'd have to get out in the street to get it all in the sensor, and by then everything is tiny. I move the stuff around a bit during the month.
There's stuff along the driveway and the other garage.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF

LOVE the werewolf

bikefrk

Two Wheels. Any Surface.

God damn MC's display is over the top. LOL

Rhino, no bucket truck needed. This is the second year I put the lights up. Only took two hours. Using floods on the trees instead of stringing lights made it much easier

bikefrk

Two Wheels. Any Surface.

I'm done with the snow. Even ice racing motorcycles is getting tiring. I need warmth year round. Plus Michigan is a shithole

Rhino

K-9 BAMF

God damn MC's display is over the top. LOL

Rhino, no bucket truck needed. This is the second year I put the lights up. Only took two hours. Using floods on the trees instead of stringing lights made it much easier
I'm digging that flood light idea.. I just ordered 4 led color programmable ones for the front of the house..

bikefrk

Two Wheels. Any Surface.

I'm digging that flood light idea.. I just ordered 4 led color programmable ones for the front of the house..
The tall red tree behind the house is lit with a light I staked in a bucket of dirt and put on the roof. Works well so far.

We just had a crazy thunderstorm roll through. I was out trying to get photos of the house and the lightning. Struck out on that.

bikefrk

Two Wheels. Any Surface.

Nice.:up: Snow adds to it, we don't git no snow. I spent some time last night repairing a 180 LED string. It had a couple sections out.
The sockets that the lights plug into suck and so do the little contact wires on the bulb. Just cheaply made

Master-Cylinder

One more. Look how dull and lifeless those LEDs look on the sleigh. Morons!:finger2:

• Red
Reactions: Red

Stetson

BAMF+

We don't do anything outside the house, other than a couple wreaths on the doors and battery powered candles in the windows. My driveway is about 800 feet long, and nobody can see my house in the woods anyway. It would all get buried in snow, too. We got a tree yesterday, and are doing up the inside of the house today.

Your places look great. MC is over the top! If you spent all that time setting that up, then had it covered with a foot of snow, you'd be fairly pissed. Does the werewolf serve Halloween duty, as well?

Master-Cylinder

Wolfie comes out for Halloween, Christmas, New Years and sometimes Easter. Especially if there is a full moon.

Wolfie was a bitch to cut out of 3/4 inch plywood.

DaCat

BAMF

Wolfie comes out for Halloween, Christmas, New Years and sometimes Easter. Especially if there is a full moon.

Wolfie was a bitch to cut out of 3/4 inch plywood.
Get Stites to cut it out for you in aluminium or wire brushed 304 s/steel :wink:

Master-Cylinder

Get Stites to cut it out for you in aluminium or wire brushed 304 s/steel :wink:

I ain't Cisco/YSR rich! Besides, it needs to be black to work properly. Lemme find a Halloween pic to show you. Might take a bit.

bikefrk

Two Wheels. Any Surface.

We don't do anything outside the house, other than a couple wreaths on the doors and battery powered candles in the windows. My driveway is about 800 feet long, and nobody can see my house in the woods anyway. It would all get buried in snow, too. We got a tree yesterday, and are doing up the inside of the house today.

Your places look great. MC is over the top! If you spent all that time setting that up, then had it covered with a foot of snow, you'd be fairly pissed. Does the werewolf serve Halloween duty, as well?
We just had a half foot of snow and the lights looked awesome shining through it

OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

Back to this thread the next year.

Red, Green & Blue are THE traditional colors, yes??
And C9 Ceramic Incandescent are THE traditional bulbs, yes??

I'm Amazon'ing now.

Master-Cylinder

I've been working on Christmas decorations for the last three weeks! Repainting a few tonight. Took one apart tonight, the old faded incandescent bulbs are getting tossed! Got to get some green LED's tomorrow to replace them with.
LED is the only way to go!
I might start hanging lights tomorrow.

I've made a number of our decorations, some out of metal that I had to bend, weld and attach lights to. A lot made from wood.

Top Bottom