Chevy Silverado question.

We had some flash flooding and my woman thought my 2004 Silverado 2wd was a boat. It died and was left in the water up to almost the floorboards. Let's leave it at that.

Well first I thought my 5.3 was wasted but under further inspection it's making terrible noise, from my experience sounds like something is up with the flexplate....rattling sound. So I pulled that little round cover and there's a couple of wires hanging down in there in the bellhousing, ripped apart of course.

So what are these wires, do they work the lock-up converter? My converter is screwed up?

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
I feel like there is some important info missing here.

BigGar

high on placebo
I have an '04 GMC, but I've never looked at my torque converter personally. I pay transmission guys to fuck that up instead. No idea what the wires might be.

Dameon

BAMF
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
I feel like there is some important info missing here.
Agreed. I've had both Chevy's and Ford's up to the floorboard with no ill effects. They say the vent for the diff may allow water, but I haven't seen that in my cases.

My point: I can't think how water would allow wires to be hanging in the torque converter.

OP
OP
I suppose my question is how is a lock up torque converter wired? My guess is that water and debris got in the bellhousing and broke the wiring loose and ripped it up. I doubt that stray wiring floated up in there. There's some ripped up wires hanging between the trans case and where the converter goes in and you cant pull 'em out. I'm stalling on pulling the trans, but kinda looks like that's what has to be done. I'm sure I'm gonna find something good like a deer antler or a turtle stuck in there.

As far as the flood, well it died in the flood so I figure it had to be the flood.

I’ve never seen wires in a Chevy bell housing ... been awhile since I’ve looked I guess ..

simon520

Fixes humans and shoots everything else
Similar thing happened to me in my 2002. Blasted through What I thought was a shallow puddle But it was 4-5 feet deep and I was in four-wheel-drive of the time I got through it and it wouldnt come out of four wheel anymore. Had to drive back home over 200 miles on the freeway in 4 Wheel Dr.

Looked it over and the wiring on the bottom of the transmission had ripped free like you mentioned luckily mine could just be plugged back together and everything worked and the four-wheel-drive disengaged and I haven’t had any problems since

Brokenfly

BAMF
no wires in there.

lockup is pwm controlled.

only wires anywhere near there would be the starter.

OP
OP
no wires in there.

lockup is pwm controlled.

only wires anywhere near there would be the starter.
Yeah I phoned a friend that informed me of this. Mystery wire. Probably got pinched in there during a previous engine swap...look for a splice on the harness where they just repaired it and went on.....dumbasses. If that's the case that wire has been in there for over 40 thousand miles so I guess it's not causing the problem.

Keep looking I guess. Engine seems to run fine though, drained oil found not much water no metal.

Top Bottom