Chernobyl

BigHock

BAMF
Anyone watching this? I remember it happening and the ‘fallout’, but damn!

OP
OP
BigHock

BigHock

BAMF
Not yet! They are still in the first 48 hrs post explosion.

She may show up later :up:

BilletMan

BAMF+
BAN nuclear power until molten salt thorium reactors are perfected, then GO NUKE!!

Stetson

BAMF
A guy at work actually gave me his HBO login info, telling me I should watch it. He's never offered me his account for anything else in the last 6 years, so I figured it must be good.

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
I'll repeat what I've posted many times before

If you believe in human caused global climate change, then only the full on embracement of nuclear power will save the planet

The faux hopes of solar and wind aren't going to do it

Nuclear power needs a disruptor the likes of what SpaceX and Blue Origin are doing to space exploration. It will happen and we will forever wonder why we were so naïve to have waited so long

BilletMan

BAMF+
The consequences of enormous disaster are, well, enormous. Half-life is a motherfucker! Don't cross me, LS. There will be hell to pay. Don't argue with me....be part of the SOLUTION! If you're so fucking smart (self-proclaimed), then quit dicking around with cheesy little apps for tiny phones and go help them! Fucker. This is BRILLIANT!! We needed this 20 years ago: Building A Safer, Cleaner Nuclear Reactor

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
I don't do phone apps...Christ

Fission has a bright future but the bandwidth is being exhausted, although admittedly I haven't kept up

Fusion is the future and the ultimate saviour of humanity, and I think it will happen sooner than the 50+ year realizing timeline that many predict

ITER should start producing results next year or so (and yes, I'm still fucking bitter as hell it wasn't built in the United fucking States of America)

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
...and I don't claim to be smart, just smarter than you (and better looking than you, and taller than you, richer than you, with a much bigger dick than you, and have been laid at least n + 1 times more than you, where n = 0)

BilletMan

BAMF+
Molten salt thorium sounds PERFECT for here and now! Can you find fault with the fantastic claims of the Popular Science article?

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
I've been reading about pebble reactors, thorium, <fill in the next big fission hope here> solutions for decades and nothing comes of it

That's cos you're looking at this wrong. Fission doesn't have a tech challenge, it's a political and public awareness problem having been plagued with fake news

It's political suicide for any authority to launch net new generation, and than translates into near 0 innovation

That's why it will take an Elon Musk to resurrect it from the ashes like he is with EV and SpaceX. Because government sure as fuck ain't gonna do it

BilletMan

BAMF+
Yet, you don't know me, never met me (nor ANYONE else from here), know nothing about me....but OK, if that's your position, then you GO! Apparently we've been in competition on many fronts, for a long time. I guess it was a long time ago that you became enamored with me. I'm just a participant here, but evidently you see me as competition. Fucking weird. It's peculiar that you didn't mention any sort of physical challenge. Shit, I had no idea you were so smitten....

...and I don't claim to be smart, just smarter than you (and better looking than you, and taller than you, richer than you, with a much bigger dick than you, and have been laid at least n + 1 times more than you, where n = 0)

Last edited:

VFR Rider

BAMF
Watched a documentary on Chernobyl about a year ago. Never knew about the two heroic men who gave their lives in order to stop a possible second explosion. They knew they would die a horrible death.

Drakhen

BAMF
Fusion is the future and the ultimate saviour of humanity, and I think it will happen sooner than the 50+ year realizing timeline that many predict
I know that there have been some large leaps forward on the fusion front in the last couple years, but "it'll be ready in about 50 years" is what they've already been saying for over 30 years. I'm hopeful, but I'm not holding my breath.

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
Finished watching the final installment

With Marxism polling favorable across college campuses, this show should be mandatory watching for all woke progressives

LE05BUSA

GFY
I've been reading about pebble reactors, thorium, <fill in the next big fission hope here> solutions for decades and nothing comes of it

That's cos you're looking at this wrong. Fission doesn't have a tech challenge, it's a political and public awareness problem having been plagued with fake news

It's political suicide for any authority to launch net new generation, and than translates into near 0 innovation

That's why it will take an Elon Musk to resurrect it from the ashes like he is with EV and SpaceX. Because government sure as fuck ain't gonna do it
Reanimate Feynman.

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
I know that there have been some large leaps forward on the fusion front in the last couple years, but "it'll be ready in about 50 years" is what they've already been saying for over 30 years. I'm hopeful, but I'm not holding my breath.
Rule of thumb for any new invention is that it takes about 20 years for commercial realization

The CCD in digital cameras was invented in the 60's, the internet was born in the 70's. Might be off a bit, but they're more or less in-line.

Granted something like fusion is on a whole different scale, but given the urgency, I'm confident the time span will be compressed

Or, it could go the way of the Super-conducting super-collider...

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
Reanimate Feynman.
Feynman could very well have been the last of the intellectual titans. I can't think of anyone working today that compares.

Or maybe because the remaining problems are those that lie in big data which the human brain doesn't have facility to process and will be solved by machines instead

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
What that post fails to identify is that in soviet Russia, no one would ever hear about those first responders, the entire state would smother it and like tianamen square, to speak of it would mean certain slave camp reassignment if not death

The post failed to identify it because it was a 280-character limited quip about the shared mistreatment of first responders, not a doctoral thesis on the shortcomings of Soviet-era Marxism, which I'm sure in your head bolsters your belief that Communist sympathy runs rampant among millennials. :roll:

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
They Russians also had the Kyshtym disaster back in 1957. Spread all kinds of radioactive shit everywhere.

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
The post failed to identify it because it was a 280-character limited quip about the shared mistreatment of first responders, not a doctoral thesis on the shortcomings of Soviet-era Marxism, which I'm sure in your head bolsters your belief that Communist sympathy runs rampant among millennials. :roll:
It's not a belief, it's fact. Marxism and communist are surging in popularity on college campuses, revealed by many polls (which I won't link for you, because it might exceed 280 characters :roll: )

And if you're arguments are hobbled by 280 characters, then don't waste our fucking time posting

You come off smug, and it's easy being a contrarian on this site. But you're one stupid motherfucker, a mental lightweight

Either you didn't watch Chernobyl, or the central message is entirely lost on you.

The shortcomings of the RMBK reactor, the accident itself, the lost lives and the unraveling of the families are secondary themes in that tv series.

I'll let you stir over what it was really about, maybe in your old age a light bulb will go off in your mind, after somebody spells it out for you in 280 characters :roll:

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigHock

BigHock

BAMF
Yup, good show. I was thinking the same thing about the Commies watching this.

The episode with the animal control was fucking hard to watch.

It's not a belief, it's fact. Marxism and communist are surging in popularity on college campuses, revealed by many polls (which I won't link for you, because it might exceed 280 characters :roll: )

And if you're arguments are hobbled by 280 characters, then don't waste our fucking time posting

You come off smug, and it's easy being a contrarian on this site. But you're one stupid motherfucker, a mental lightweight

Either you didn't watch Chernobyl, or the central message is entirely lost on you.

The shortcomings of the RMBK reactor, the accident itself, the lost lives and the unraveling of the families are secondary themes in that tv series.

I'll let you stir over what it was really about, maybe in your old age a light bulb will go off in your mind, after somebody spells it out for you in 280 characters :roll:
I have no idea why you're hung up on the Twitter's 280 character limit or how it relates to this imaginary line of argument you think I'm making because your post is all over the place.

The twitter post is saying, "What the Soviets did was fucked but for being the supposedly superior society, we do shitty things too".

Your response is "at least we are able to hear about these shitty things without being thrown in a gulag or executed".

Strange response, but technically true. We CAN hear about these things without being throw into a gulag or executed for being an enemy of the state.

Does absolutely nothing to address the original criticism and consequently sets a very low bar for comparison ("Come to America - no mass executions!") but hey, don't let that stop the Communism-sux train, which is the central message you and your show is trying to convey here. It's a message I agree with but agreement doesn't preclude pointing out its shortcomings.

Last edited:

Austin_F

BAMF+
I have no idea why you're hung up on the Twitter's 280 character limit or how it relates to this imaginary line of argument you think I'm making because your post is all over the place.

The twitter post is saying, "What the Soviets did was fucked but for being the supposedly superior society, we do shitty things too".

Your response is "at least we are able to hear about these shitty things without being thrown in a gulag or executed".

Strange response, but technically true. We CAN hear about these things without being throw into a gulag or executed for being an enemy of the state.

Does absolutely nothing to address the original criticism and consequently sets a very low bar for comparison ("Come to America - no mass executions!") but hey, don't let that stop the Communism-sux train, which is the central message you and your show is trying to convey here. It's a message I agree with but agreement doesn't preclude pointing out its shortcomings.
Supposedly superior? As in, it's not?

People weren't dying to get into Soviet Russia, were they MR? Escaping capitalism?

hagrid

Human sized Loofah Pouf
I watched the show, thought it was fantastic. Learned quite a lot about the disaster.
While I understood fission via U235 in middle school, Chernobyl spurred me to research the various commercial reactor designs currently in use. Its positively fascinating to understand which design can utilize which fuel enrichment % and which ones can actually manufacture fuel as they run.

The most enlightening thing I learned is that all U235 reactors produce poisons that retard the reaction and steps must be taken to remove them.

Nature seeks equilibrium, always.

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
So the Ruskies are non-too please with this HBO production

To that end, they are kicking off their own rendition

The start of a new type of propaganda war?

Top Bottom