Caution: Bike related thread!! What helmet you guys wearing now?

kawachan

BAMF
I have always been a Shoei guy. I guess they fit my head shape better or something. Years ago I had a pair of SP II's for the longest time. Being where I couldn't ride as much as I wanted, both basically had the liners fall out and i never could find any replacements.

When I bought my 14 @5 years ago, I bought an RF 900 and it has been great. Now I ran into the same problem again. Helmet needs a liner and I can't find one anywhere.

I start out looking at some of the RF's and I finally talked myself into a GT Air II. Came in and now I'm asking myself why I waited so freaking long to get a new one in the first place. That thing is awesome.

Let's hear it. What do you have / wear / borrow to ride? Or do you have different helmets for different bikes?

I just bought an HJC on clearance. FG-17 with a dumb black/red paint scheme that's vaguely reminiscent of an Aztec civilization that survived long enough to have a dystopian future. $120? SOLD.

They fit my head the best, no frills, solid helmet. Smoke shields are $30 shipped.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Shoei for pretty much everything. Mostly X14s but I also have a dirt bike Helmet. last about 5 years then they start getting lose. Not sure how many helmets I have. bike something thats also Shoei.

For the cheap stuff, the way I look at it, $50 head, $50 helmet.

*sweet baby Jesus that came out weird

Last edited:

yamadak13

BAMF
Currently wearing a Bell Star Carbon. The transition face shield is amazing.
Best venting helmet I’ve worn.
It’s super noisy on a naked bike though.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
Let's hear it. What do you have / wear / borrow to ride? Or do you have different helmets for different bikes?
Once you start looking at helmets as "crash gear" and not some crown jewel... it becomes ALOT easier to find something, irrespective of brand snobbery, that works. I dont agree with the 60 dollar helmet for 60 dollar head assessment. If they were guaranteed to prevent concussions... then sure. You could buy a $50 helmet and a $400 leatt brace and do better, statistically, than a $900 Arai & have money left to buy another should you crash it.
HJC is one of the larger manufacturers. Obviously Shoei & Arai have been around awhile. Lots of choices on styles and motiffs. However the most important
item is FIT. The second item is "build date".
Find a helmet that fits and you like... then due diligence here: SHARP - THE HELMET SAFETY SCHEME

Just look at an Arai RX-7v vs Duchinni 832. :D

Last edited:

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
Shoei gt-air.. i love the intergrated sun visor within the shell you can switch while riding at sun down.. beats stopping to remove sunglasses or switch
Visors

Its 6 years old.. it was his last year though.

Last edited:

VFR Rider

BAMF
Always wore Arai Corsair which fit my head shape well and offered good ventilation. When the price went up substantially I switched to the Bell Race Star which fit as well and flows air very well for quite a bit less money. Only downside is that the Bell is not as quiet, but then I always wear earplugs.

Ninjaman12R

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken
I've had helmets from pretty much all the major manufacturers over the years, but for several years now I've bought only HJC helmets. Not the entry level stuff, decent midrange and up. I've got one of their full carbon fiber helmets that I love, super quiet and light. I ordered that from bombaybusa bombaybusa years ago. I ride to work daily unless the weather is just complete shit, my DR650 was my "rain bike" when I had it, so my gear gets used a lot. My daily helmet is an HJC modular, fuck if I know what model, it's a couple years old. But it's got the flip down sun shade and whatnot. I've got a cardo freecom fitted to it and it's been just as solid as all the other HJC stuff I've had.

The funny thing is I always looked down on them because they were "cheap" helmets. That changed only after I bought a bike to flip, and it was one of those, thought I was going to ride deals. The guy bought the bike at a dealership, new helmet, jacket,....you know the drill. The bike sat, carbs gummed, dead battery, helmet and jacket worn a couple times. I scooped up the package deal for a song, was going to throw the gear up on eBay. The helmet looked nice and happened to be my size, so I wore it one day for shits and giggles. It felt pretty good, and I decided to keep it as a spare. Eventually it became my primary helmet and I never had one ounce of trouble out of it. So I deducted that they were a decent value and have since owned many. I've got 6 or 7 right now lol....😆

im2fast4uguys

Mr Rabbit
I was always an Arai guy until 3 helmets ago when I changed to a Bell Star Carbon, then a Race Star and currently another Race Star ... I love the fit, the weight and the fact as an all day rider I no longer have to carry 2 shields - The Transitions shield just fucking rocks!

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
Aside from the original Bell Moto III, I wore Shoei from 1983 - 1998 and then switched to Arai in 1999 and still wear them now. No helmet snobbery, just bought what fit best and was most comfortable. I tried Scorpion and their sizing is all kinds of jacked up (XL in Shoei or Arai, 3XL in Scorpion) and those built in sun visors are a waste since I wear glasses. A Bilt I tried on at Cycle Gear felt like the interior was a 3M Scotchbrite, even the manager warned me "You're used to Arai, you're not going to like it". New Bell didn't fit well, etc.

OP

kawachan

BAMF
I guess I'm so far out in BFE that I never have the chance to visit a large motorcycle store that has a lot of variety or my size for that matter.

This flip down visor is so AWESOME. I wear transitions, but they never get dark unless in direct light for a time. Plus, it's never as dark as I need to ride without squinting into the sun.

I bought a Z125 Pro recently so I'm riding a whole lot more just for the fun of it.

busa10

BAMF
Some of you probably know this already, but the government in England got involved in rating helmets. Here's their web-page for what it's worth...

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
My gf has a cheapo ICON lid.. i'll tell ya its noisy/windy as fuck..
Protection may be the same but not comfort
its all about fit first. Then what ever options suit. When I first tried a new Bell... I choose a large. But after talking with the helmet rep he showed I was a med. Pretty sure arai has gone to the same model in regards to fit.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
I switched to AGV earlier his year, I think it's a K5. All it needs is an amber pinlock. It looks bitchen. I put it in a thread when we were in Daytona.

Z

BAMF+
Cheepie,,, noisy,,, piece a crap.. :ducmanic:

Don't care,, since I'm deaf in da one ear,,

n' wear a plug in da udder. :biggrin1a:

Cause it fits,,, into either side of da trunk,,

on da pacific coast. :up:

Big name ones,,,,,,,,,,,,, don't.. :mad2:

busa10

BAMF
It's interesting how some mfg's have improved the neck seal as that really cuts down the wind noise. I've used a racing neck brace in the past on long trips. Can still turn your head, but really cuts down on wind noise.

WVMadMax

BAMF
First helmet, in 1978, came with the Yamaha RD350, windshield, rain suit, and it was an open face helmet. Then I caught a Dove in the mouth at about 60 mph. Been with full face Shoei's ever since. Time I get a new one though. Hope I can still get one with the Busa colors and symbol on the sides.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I have an Agv for the scooter and open face

I have two Shoei GT air which are my normal riding helmet

And I have a Shoei X14

With that said I was just talking with Pra about a new Helmet and waiting on a November Release of a New Shoei

Last edited:

chuck356

BAMF
I love Arai helmets, they fit me best and everything is top-notch. Sadly, they have been out of my budget for the last few years. So, I bought a cheap AFX for a shop helmet, better than expected, a size smaller maybe even better. A sales rep gave a Zoan to try, awesome feel in the garage, on the bike, not so much, wore it twice. I bought an Icon, fucking hate it! Rattles, the shield has shadows, very distracting to wear. I bought a LS2 off of one of my reps a couple years ago, mine is one of the higher end LS2's and it is great! One way I judge a helmet is after I ride 5-10 miles and can't notice the helmet is there, that's a big win for me. I do think the durability is not that great. Maybe Santa will bring me another Arai.

OP

kawachan

BAMF
Wore that new helmet this morning to work. It took a lil getting used to because it is SO quiet. It was like I was riding a new bike almost. That new ratcheting chin strap is pretty nice too....

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
I bought a LS2 off of one of my reps a couple years ago, mine is one of the higher end LS2's and it is great! One way I judge a helmet is after I ride 5-10 miles and can't notice the helmet is there, that's a big win for me. I do think the durability is not that great. Maybe Santa will bring me another Arai.
I bought an LS-2 for my wife a couple of years ago. She saw the patriotic stars and stripes motif on it, and it seemed to fit O.K. with all her hair in the way. :roll:
I tried it on and it seemed nice, so later I saw one with a chrome shell on sale and bought it for a backup. And that's all it will ever be, a backup. It fits weird and is cumbersome. It was on closeout, so I couldn't send it back. It's nowhere near as nice as wifeys...

Stetson

BAMF
I got a HJC helmet set up for snowmobiling, with a heated shield and mouthpiece/breath deflector. I like it quite a bit. I'm going to get a normal shield and try it on the bikes, the heated one says "not DOT legal" or something like that. The mouthpiece comes out. It's the kind you can flip the whole chin part up. That is super convenient when a gang of loud snowmobiles stop at a fork in the trail and you're all arguing about which way to go.

My Shoei RF-R is old enough to buy beer. I have a bolt holding on one side of the visor because the plastic screw broke.

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
I still like my GT-Air- I like the flip-down visor and it's built with cut-outs to accommodate my Sena headphones.

Stetson

BAMF
My HJC has an internal slide down sun visor, I forgot to mention. It's been iced over every time I've tried to use it on the trails, but it works cool sitting in the camp.

Top Bottom