Bulletproofing the Ford 6.0L diesel

BigBusa

BAMF+
A couple years ago, I took my 05 f350 to this guy for bulletproofing. Bill Hewitt -- People love to shit on him and his many youtube videos because he comes across as a know-it-all... but this mutha f'er knows his 6.0L's! He says the 6.0L is the best engine ever put in a truck once it's bulletproofed.

His guys do a bunch of work and when it's done, he offers a transferable lifetime warranty on the head gaskets. They add an edge griffin tuner also.

I love his "big dog excursion" creation but they're like $40k. :eek: Skip to about 7 mins in if you don't wanna hear his life story. excursion

Last edited:
while its certainly not "the best engine ever put in a truck" no matter whats done to it...its certainly a fantastic motor once bulletproofed.

however the fact that most correct bulletproofing is upwards of 10,000 bucks and requires the cab to be completely removed from the frame to complete...kinda puts a damper on things.

not to mention nearly all the current generation of diesels make more power, get better mileage, and are 1/3 as quiet as the 6.0.

OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
however the fact that most correct bulletproofing is upwards of 10,000 bucks and requires the cab to be completely removed from the frame to complete...kinda puts a damper on things.
Yea, the cab does need to come off and it is expensive to bulletproof but what's a new 2018-2019 f350 dually, crew cab, 4x4, king ranch, 6.7 diesel cost? $80k-$90k? HUGE payment book vs. no payment book. It was an easy choice for me.

The 6.7 uses DEF which I hear is a pain in the ass. It is a very quiet engine though. The 6.0L's are so loud that you do have to kill the engine at any drive-thru for them to hear you over the clickety-clack. The 6.7 has a ton more power and torque than the 6.0 for sure. 475hp/935lb ft tq versus 325hp/560 lb ft TQ.

Dameon I agree the 6.0L was a POS. It's a different animal when bulletproofed though. You flew to florida to buy a f550 from him? You sure it's the same guy? He's in buford Ga.

Untitled.png

Dameon

BAMF
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
Dameon I agree the 6.0L was a POS. It's a different animal when bulletproofed though. You flew to florida to buy a f550 from him? You sure it's the same guy? He's in buford Ga.
I stated that I wished your guy could have had a go at the one I bought... and promptly returned. Maybe I would have kept it.

No matter. Made the move to International and I'm content with my decision so far.

OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
I stated that I wished your guy could have had a go at the one I bought... and promptly returned. Maybe I would have kept it.
Ahhh ok I get it now. :red:

OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
The 6.5L diesel in my last truck was an absolute dog. Sold the chevy and got the f350. I wish I kept the cowtown sleeper though.

images.jpg

001.jpg

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as "ill fuK anything" lucystrike
both fucking old garbage...lol

i had a couple of 6ohs in my former fleet... anvil reliable with proper maintenance. Bought for $35ish new ran about $55,000 worth of fuel through and maybe had $8500 in maint costs over each lifetime. Sold them for $5500 each. Buh bye

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Had a 6.oh-no

spent a ton getting it to work. Money lost.

when it was time to sell it people would ask what engine it had, I’d say 6.0.
.....click.

Terry_Schiavo

the new truck is a 12.0... dats right twice as good as the 6hoe

problem with the 7.3 was the dogshit trans it was mated to.

I think you can make as much power with a 7.3 as you have deep a wallet to throw at it and itll still be reliable. the trans...notsomuch.

Terry_Schiavo

that and the really high fuel pressure that wore out injectors frequently. Freaking Ford truck shop tried to "onesie twosie" me... fucking idiots. :fu: Also... trans failed at 34,000 miles on a 36,000 warranty...sorry you have to pay. 2nd truck failed at 37,000... sorry you have to pay. :fu:

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Any vehicle that can be driven through a fast food drive through lane isn't a real truck.

Spell check - poseur or poser?

RobBase

BAMF
The 6.0's were like a coin flip. Heads you got a good one, tails you got a money pit.
I had a 2006 F-250 work truck that by the time I turned it back in had 275,000 miles on it with
all the (minimum) repairs done by our company mechanics. But looking under the hood and how
crammed everything was in there, I'd have shit myself if I had had to work on it myself.

Right now, I'm planning for a 2020 RAM 2500 with the Cummins. Lots of space under the hood
and relatively easy to work on for someone mechanically inclined.

Terry_Schiavo

Nah... Im going to say that the folks "servicing" those engines know "dick all" about the proper consumables for the ones that experienced a failure.
We would drive 45 mins to a shop that knew the platform well. Matter of fact the shop "undid" some local idiots $4500 fuckup of the high pressure oil pump.
Before I field complaints of the reliability... I want to know how much fuel they ran in it first. A weekend 100 mile dwaddler means shit all to me (ala 7.3 numbskulls). I want to hear from work week gitter duns putting hundreds of miles on a truck and towing at or near capacity.

I lifted the heads on mine also, had about 10k in the motor with gaskets and studs, after that it was solid, fun truck but was glad to send it down the road.

Stetson

BAMF
Dealing with fucking def fluid is one more reason I say bring on the fucking electric trucks! Fucking new diesels. "Oh wait guys, can't leave for the job yet, the Hino's got to regenerate first.......":thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Vegas12

BAMF+
Never heard anyone say the 6 leaker is better than the 7.3 before.

That's a tough one...

The 6.0 IS a better motor than the 7.3L talking just performance. The 6.0 is more reliable when bulletproofed.

The 7.3 cracks me up....it reminds me of a woman who swears she'll never have another child right after giving birth then tells everyone a short time later how she can't wait to have another kid.

The 7.3 was stinky, had terrible harmonics, went through CPS's, injectors, was not all that powerful and was a finicky bitch regarding cooling P.H.....but now that they're gone, they were the greatest ever.

As far as bulletproofing the 6.0, if you can turn wrenches, the kit is around $2k with the EGR delete.

We just bought a theft recovery 6.0 with the kit...fucker spools quick and flat out moves!!

And like mentioned, no comparison regarding transmissions, but the 4R100 can also be bulletproofed....but it's still a 4 speed.

Last edited:

Vegas12

BAMF+
Yea, the cab does need to come off and it is expensive to bulletproof but what's a new 2018-2019 f350 dually, crew cab, 4x4, king ranch, 6.7 diesel cost? $80k-$90k? HUGE payment book vs. no payment book. It was an easy choice for me.

The 6.7 uses DEF which I hear is a pain in the ass. It is a very quiet engine though. The 6.0L's are so loud that you do have to kill the engine at any drive-thru for them to hear you over the clickety-clack. The 6.7 has a ton more power and torque than the 6.0 for sure. 475hp/935lb ft tq versus 325hp/560 lb ft TQ.

View attachment 26931
Check the current 6.7L PSD power levels!!!

OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
Any vehicle that can be driven through a fast food drive through lane isn't a real truck.

Spell check - poseur or poser?
Can't drive a dually through an automatic car wash either. :cry: Handwash for the life of the truck. :biting:

Last edited:
OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
We just bought a theft recovery 6.0 with the kit...fucker spools quick and flat out moves!!
It is pretty amazing how it sets ya back in the seat. The current Edge griffin tuner adds 65hp in the "performance" setting and the shifts are like... BANG, BANG, BANG! Prior to this Edge tuner, I had an SCT X4 that had a tune to add 150hp! Now, that was fun... until it overheated while I was towing heavy on the highway. Yea, don't forget to change the tune to "towing" when you're gonna tow. It doesn't like towing in performance tune. Whoops! $10k mistake.

The 6.0 Powerchoke ordeal is what closed down the Navistar Engine Plant and Foundry in Indianapolis. Friend of mine worked there for 40 years. Interesting story.

Vegas12

BAMF+
It is pretty amazing how it sets ya back in the seat. The current Edge griffin tuner adds 65hp in the "performance" setting and the shifts are like... BANG, BANG, BANG! Prior to this Edge tuner, I had an SCT X4 that had a tune to add 150hp! Now, that was fun... until it overheated while I was towing heavy on the highway. Yea, don't forget to change the tune to "towing" when you're gonna tow. It doesn't like towing in performance tune. Whoops! $10k mistake.
Don't think anything tows well with the hot tunes....EGT goes through the roof.

Honestly, my lowly stock 800# torque 6.7 PSD towed as fast as I wanted...I miss that truck.

BigGar

high on placebo
All I know is that the new trucks haul the fucking mail and tow damn near anything as fast as you care to go. My old '04 LLY Duramax, not so much. It's been a good truck with relatively few problems. Certainly nothing unexpected. Haven't had to throw money at head gaskets, transmission, or anything major. Do most all of the work myself. When I ran a tuner, first Edge, then Banks, it had a lot more power but I always worried about fucking it up. That said, even with my tuner, exhaust, most all of the other non-major mods du jour it wouldn't come close to any bone stock standard diesel made after 2011 or so.

Dameon

BAMF
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
problem with the 7.3 was the dogshit trans it was mated to. I think you can make as much power with a 7.3 as you have deep a wallet to throw at it and itll still be reliable. the trans...notsomuch.
Agreed. The F550 that pulled my 30K fifth wheel all over the US (most of you saw it) used the 7.3. The only problem I had with that truck was the transmission... at literally 101K miles on a 100K warranty. The dealer in CA tried to finagle the transaction, but couldn't get it through. Left me stranded on the side of a narrow mountain road in King's Canyon NP. Took a triple rear axle Peterbuilt to tow my whole rig to Fresno. Huge tow bill.

Coincidently, the F650 up use a different engine/transmission combo. Usually CAT/Cummins and Allison... at least they used to. Not sure these days.

The 6.0's were like a coin flip. Heads you got a good one, tails you got a money pit.
I had a 2006 F-250 work truck that by the time I turned it back in had 275,000 miles on it with
all the (minimum) repairs done by our company mechanics. But looking under the hood and how
crammed everything was in there, I'd have shit myself if I had had to work on it myself.

Right now, I'm planning for a 2020 RAM 2500 with the Cummins. Lots of space under the hood
and relatively easy to work on for someone mechanically inclined.
Different animal now. Lots more emissions related equipment and software. Agree that oil and fuel filters are easy but that is about it. Hell my 2020 Denalli 2500 does not even have a transmission dip stick. The new 10 speed even uses a new ultra thin transmission fluid like the new F250 hitting the showrooms in January. Times are changing in the HD truck market. :)

Dameon

BAMF
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
This cold weather has put the hurt to my truck batteries. So I pulled the build sheet out to see what size batteries I need to procure...

Code:
3 - 12V 1950CCA BTRY SYS.
INTERNATIONAL Maintenance Free, (3) 12-Volt 1950CCA
Uh... I'm not sure I've ever SEEN a 1950CCA battery. Does it really take nearly 6000 cold cranking amps to fire up a DT466/7.6L?

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor

The 6.7 uses DEF which I hear is a pain in the ass.

View attachment 26931

Tuners are able to disable those now.. got a guy here who did.

In cold climates its a pos as DEF fluid is 69% water .. and it freezes even though the tank is heated.. blows pumps and cracks tanks..

Maybe folks down south have better luck though

Tuners are able to disable those now.. got a guy here who did.

In cold climates its a pos as DEF fluid is 69% water .. and it freezes even though the tank is heated.. blows pumps and cracks tanks..

Maybe folks down south have better luck though
The recent EPA crackdown has driven most not to offer emissions disabling tuning. Do the research it is all there days of tuners are numbered.

EPA Crackdown on Deleted Trucks

Performance Diesel, Inc. Clean Air Act Settlement Information Sheet | US EPA

Last edited:
OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
This cold weather has put the hurt to my truck batteries. So I pulled the build sheet out to see what size batteries I need to procure...

Code:
3 - 12V 1950CCA BTRY SYS.
INTERNATIONAL Maintenance Free, (3) 12-Volt 1950CCA
Uh... I'm not sure I've ever SEEN a 1950CCA battery. Does it really take nearly 6000 cold cranking amps to fire up a DT466/7.6L?
1950 total cca = 3 three 650 cca batteries?

OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
Over here emission tests are non existant..
Had a car with a catless mid pipe for years

;)
In Ga. they test only the newer cars which to me makes little sense. The newest cars the the cleanest. The worst offenders are the older cars. The ones that you can smell the unburned gasoline and heavy emissions while they're in traffic nearby. Older Jeeps always seem to be bad.

They do NOT test diesels here. My 05 truck is exempt for some reason?

Dameon

BAMF
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
I believe he's towing with an International/Navistar....
Yep...

DT466... 466ci, 7.6l with an Allison automatic behind it. 16.4:1 compression. It has glow plugs, but moderately cold weather (30-40*F) makes it a bitch to start. I hope the new batteries help with that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom