Brush fire and 25mph winds...

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Just heard on the radio the EMS system calling for evacuation of the north Kihei area. That most likely doesn't mean much to most of you. For the last 145 years the area had been farmed. About 3 years ago they closed their doors (so to speak). Mounting losses etc.

3 years later, a really wet winter, followed by a super hot summer. Lots of fuel.

People used to complain about the Cane fields. They'd burn them every 2 years. Never in my memory had people been ordered to evacuate though.

This is the view from my yard looking west, northerly winds at 15-25, Kihei is due south. Jumped 2 highways already. IMG_0276.jpeg

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Oh Shit!

This is where we need snail's comments on proper land management.

OP
OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
interestingly they are moving people further south....from a fire coming from the north. They're down to one highway out of there and I'm sure its a fucking mess. Hope they don't drag their feet on getting the National Guard to start flying the big choppers in. They dip in the ocean less then 2 miles away (and yes some one will complain about using up the ocean, not that it's salt water..)

after the farm closed all the green people were saying how the land should be taken from the land owner and they should force them to have organic farms.

yea so that didn't work either.

OP
OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
they just closed the last highway, they're cut off now

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Sadly, my little sister is one of them there on the islands or was when I last heard from her.

Thanks to her modern education. :roll:

OP
OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
the first place to evacuate was the animal shelter which was looking like a dead center hit. The staff there got all the animals out and relocated which is actually pretty amazing. After that mandatory evacuations, 3000 to 4000 people according to the news, phones went down (cell towers too), internet is intermittent now but was down, the 9-1-1 call center went down for a couple hours, airport closed, businesses were only taking cash because their card readers went down, We have 2 main power plants, I guess the fire was with in 150' of the south one. I can see the red glow over the tree tops of North Kihei, the smoke changed directions from a southerly to an easterly, looked like the fire was at my house for a bit. Gonna be a busy night.

Vegas12

BAMF+
Hoping for as much of a positive outcome as possible for you and yours as well as the others in harm's way.

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
:eek::eek:
That's some ugly shit in a beautiful place. Some good thoughts headed across the ocean while Fire On The Mountain plays on the stereo.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
That really seems to be a bad scene. Fire moving fully fueled and driven by high winds is a real pain to deal with.. specially when you run out of room or like you said roads and access gets cut off. I send good vibes to all involved and hope they get a fast handle on the fire.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
When the power is knocked out here and the internet is down, the stores that are open only take cash. You should see the looks on the young assholes faces who have never had real cash money in their hands and can't make a purchase. You'd think it would be a lesson to them.

Master-Cylinder

That really seems to be a bad scene. Fire moving fully fueled and driven by high winds is a real pain to deal with.. specially when you run out of room or like you said roads and access gets cut off. I send good vibes to all involved and hope they get a fast handle on the fire.
Just get to the beach and stand in the water.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Any word on getting this fire under some kind of control?

Did the winds slack in the night?

Has the Army/NG started bucket missions yet?

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
Prayin’ that fire stays away from your stuff brother !!

OP
OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
hard to tell what's going on but most of the news is that it's not yet contained. My friend Kim's shop was spared by a 500 hundred feet or so. Cant see shit, a layer of ash on my house, I think the people in N Kihei got to keep their houses though. Thats a working class nieghborhood and you know the FD guys were trying really hard to save them. Our local heavy equipment contractors trucked dozers and water trucks, graders, what ever they had plus their own crews. Lots of conflicting accounts on how big the fire is but it's a good sized one for sure. For scale the picture I posted, those mountains are 5788' tall.

DaCat

BAMF
Scary shit. Wishing you and everyone around well, stay safe.

I would never have thought that luscious green fields could burn like that, pictures can be deceiving. I guess lots of dry leaves on the floor as well.

OP
OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
looks like fire number 2 just started.... IMG_0282.jpeg

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Yep. Vorton + XXFirefighter could handle this fire with some teamwork.

Hope your buddy's shop gets to stay untouched.

Vegas12

BAMF+
I would never have thought that luscious green fields could burn like that, pictures can be deceiving. I guess lots of dry leaves on the floor as well.
No kidding.....one year I tried to be proactive and went after the future tumbleweeds with a propane torch while they were still green.

Bastards would not burn!!!

Update, Jeff, when you're able.

OP
OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
seems like its under control. Saw a few hot spots today. there were a total of 4 fires in a 2 day period. the second days fire started near a homeless camp I think. they had 3 helicopters on it immediately cause where it was would have made the first fire look like little. Between 9000 and 10000 acres. My friend said the flames were 100' from his house when the FD evacuated him . Kims shop is fine. Hope we get a break for a few days.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
It's weird to think of green & wet Hawaii as having fire issues.
Obviously you get dry spells. But it's just not something an outsider thinks of being a possibility for the Hawaii.

OP
OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
What's worse though, the lungworm thingy or the flesh eating bacteria from swimming in Floriduh waters??

If the flesh eating bug gets to the brain, that could explain Z's decline.
lung worm is worse. The flesh eating virus you at least have a chance as in there is treatment. If you don't get it in time you die.

With Rat lung Worm virus once you contract it, from my understanding, you're basically looking at assisted living for the rest of your life and that's if you have any faculties left at all which in most cases you don't. You die eventually though, you're just gonna wish it happens sooner.

Master-Cylinder

lung worm is worse. The flesh eating virus you at least have a chance as in there is treatment. If you don't get it in time you die.

With Rat lung Worm virus once you contract it, from my understanding, you're basically looking at assisted living for the rest of your life and that's if you have any faculties left at all which in most cases you don't. You die eventually though, you're just gonna wish it happens sooner.

Flesh-eating bacteria kills a Memphis man who visited Florida waterways

OP
OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Top Bottom