Brain Chemistry

Stites

Kawapuke in training
What do you guys know about brain chemistry in relation to exercise? I have an appointment with my endocrinologist to go over recent blood panels regarding testosterone and I am going to ask him the same question.

It seems to me anytime I work out hard and sweat and exert myself I always seem to think much clearer.

What do you know?

RobBase

Flippin Swiss fan of Tay-Tay
I don't know much about brain chemistry, but I do know:
1. The harder I work/push myself, the more energized I get and want to do more.
2. The lazier I get/lay on the couch, the more I want to do the same.

Life seems to be a vicious cycle, which way it goes depends on your mental direction.
Like pussy, the more I get, the more I want.

OP
Stites

Stites

Kawapuke in training
I don't know much about brain chemistry, but I do know:
1. The harder I work/push myself, the more energized I get and want to do more.
2. The lazier I get/lay on the couch, the more I want to do the same.

Life seems to be a vicious cycle, which way it goes depends on your mental direction.
Like pussy, the more I get, the more I want.
Spot on Rob, I am 100% the same.

• Red
Reactions: Red
OP
Stites

Stites

Kawapuke in training
More time enjoying. Less time analyzing. Just go with what you’ve got. By the time you figure it out, you’ll be too old and confused to do what you’ll wish you would have.
RF
Brother I enjoy plenty, I am working on trying to feel great as much as possible. I do fine but like anything I want to be better. That said life is a balancing act to which sometimes we walk the wire perfectly and sometimes we fall flat on our faces. Both provide plenty of perspective.

• Red

RollieFree

BAMF
Brother I enjoy plenty, I am working on trying to feel great as much as possible. I do fine but like anything I want to be better. That said life is a balancing act to which sometimes we walk the wire perfectly and sometimes we fall flat on our faces. Both provide plenty of perspective.
I get it. I’m just trying to add perspective. Time is fleeting.
I think I’m a lot older than you, thus the less enthusiastic approach.
RF

RollieFree

BAMF
Actually for being 60, I bust my ass every day. Don’t always feel like an attack dog at 6:30 but by 10:00 I do. I improve everyday, I learn everyday snd I try my best to apply it all. You’d have to ask those around me if it’s real or an illusion but I’m after it til death.
Good night Chesty Puller wherever you are!!
RF

Terry_Schiavo

Scrap Bracket magazine cover model
Large or traditional meal settings actually slows me down and crushes my drive. Last weekend I did a long technical mtb ride followed by a full day of track riding. Legs were completely shot but I ate maybe 2000 calories the whole weekend... most of it dinner on sat afternoon & sun eve. My legs & core are still feeling it and I did 2 short recovery rides and a whole lotta 9:12 pitch roof walks.
A coworker wanted to meet for lunch... so I just had a diet soft drink... he looked at me like I called his mother something insulting... he was uncomfortable I wasnt eating.
Unfortunately its up to you to find what works. Docs can only give you an opinion... never had one give me specific dietary guidence and you would think as a T1 they would have a recommended program.
A big thing for me is sleep...all the caffiene in the world aint making that up. I can barely drink 4oz of cold coffee anymore. Physically & emotionally (decaff drinkers)

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Fasting does focus the mind and I always wait to eat when I have important stuff to work out with my head...

...otherwise, like TS, I crash with a big meal.

What I eat determines whether I go into a manic rage or just continue on, on a more even keel.

Food is fuel and the older I get, this less efficiently I process it so, less is more.

WARREN

BAMF+
objects in motion, tend to stay in motion....objects at rest, tend to stay at rest.

like GSXRN99 said, dopamine and endorphins play massive roles in our day to day function.
getting those test levels on point is also massive piece of the puzzle. without a doubt.

you can certainly go down the rabbit hole of nutritional timing, but I'd only make that a priority after as a fine tune, rather than a focus

bowtie

BAMF+
Website
www.premierdesigns4u.com
No, I haven't had any breaks, there's been times that I've missed a couple weeks .. and you feel that, I find no reason to stop using it, bloodwork is good, I'm was at 904 .. I feel good there, and look good, squid may be jealous .. I do 1/2 a cc of 300 ethanate every 6 days.

Vicious_Cycle

they/them - LABusas Road Captain
Calling all T experts! Or anyone with an informed opinion.

Possible breakthrough on Friday during my annual physical: waiting on blood test results to confirm Celiac Disease. A positive diagnosis would explain many of my ailments.
Meanwhile, I pushed her about supplementing with T. She resisted last time I asked, but she reviewed her notes Friday and said we haven't checked my T level for 8 years, so she requested a blood draw.

Got the call this morning. She said it's borderline low, and the next step is for me to call my insurance company "and find out what they will cover."
Also, she said I need to commit to monthly lab work before she would prescribe.

My question to you is: Before I call my insurance company, what, if anything, do I want to push for? I don't want to bounce around like a pinball between a disinterested clerk at an insurance company and a doctor who has been reluctant to aggressively prescribe. Before I can take command of the situation, I need an informed opinion about what my preferred treatment would be.

Since it's "borderline" (her secretary didn't give me the number), the insurance company may not be willing to do anything. If that's the case, I still would like to know specifically what it is that I am seeking. I am uninformed, at best, right now.

Thanks bruthas. :up:

If you're bored and would like to read something about a relationship between gluten and testosterone deficiency, here's an article:

How Gluten Induced Malnutrition Affects Testosterone Levels | Gluten-Free Society (glutenfreesociety.org)

OP
Stites

Stites

Kawapuke in training
I just found out last night due to my low testosterone I now have thinner bones. If you are low then tell them for your future help you want the remedy fix now. I will be talking to my doc tomorrow about what I can do to increase my bone density

Last edited:
Calling all T experts! Or anyone with an informed opinion.

Possible breakthrough on Friday during my annual physical: waiting on blood test results to confirm Celiac Disease. A positive diagnosis would explain many of my ailments.
Meanwhile, I pushed her about supplementing with T. She resisted last time I asked, but she reviewed her notes Friday and said we haven't checked my T level for 8 years, so she requested a blood draw.

Got the call this morning. She said it's borderline low, and the next step is for me to call my insurance company "and find out what they will cover."
Also, she said I need to commit to monthly lab work before she would prescribe.

My question to you is: Before I call my insurance company, what, if anything, do I want to push for? I don't want to bounce around like a pinball between a disinterested clerk at an insurance company and a doctor who has been reluctant to aggressively prescribe. Before I can take command of the situation, I need an informed opinion about what my preferred treatment would be.

Since it's "borderline" (her secretary didn't give me the number), the insurance company may not be willing to do anything. If that's the case, I still would like to know specifically what it is that I am seeking. I am uninformed, at best, right now.

Thanks bruthas. :up:

If you're bored and would like to read something about a relationship between gluten and testosterone deficiency, here's an article:

How Gluten Induced Malnutrition Affects Testosterone Levels | Gluten-Free Society (glutenfreesociety.org)
Can't comment on T itself, but find out not only what your plan covers but if it requires prior auth, and if so, get that ball rolling asap with the Dr because it can be awhile before they approve or deny. If they don't cover it, download the GoodRx app for cash discounts and go from there. The vials are way cheaper than the gel, see if the doc is willing to prescribe you that to save money if you're willing to jab yourself. Might be patches available too, the pharmacy will know.

OP
Stites

Stites

Kawapuke in training
This is my window of opportunity. Just need to know what I'm asking for.
Everyone I have talked to said the gel is shit, you want injections. Your T level is just going to continue to drop a you age unless you completely change your current diet and exercise plan.

As you mentioned now is the time to push. Look up the symptoms and of low T and see if any match up. If any are close then it's a checked box and they need to know.

Vicious_Cycle

Everyone I have talked to said the gel is shit, you want injections.
Good to know. :up:
Look up the symptoms and of low T and see if any match up.
We are past that. Have the symptoms, did the blood draw, got the number, know it's low.
I'm looking for info like the above. If the gel is garbage, I'm not going to ask for it. I hate injections as much as the next guy, but I'll do what I gotta do. If the patch makes your hair fall out or causes you to grow man-tits, then that would be useful info. :razz:

I don't know the first thing about this shit, and I know many here know a LOT about it (I'm looking at you, WARREN ).

Vicious_Cycle

Stites Stites I can start my own thread if you'd prefer. Otherwise, I think it makes sense to keep these topics combined. :up:

Meanwhile, I learned that supplements are covered by my insurance but require prior authorization (doctor needs to call pharmacy and answer some questions, which I assume are geared to find an excuse to not cover it).

Also learned that my T has dropped by 100 since 2012, and it wasn't particularly high then!

I spoke with one of the nurses at my doctor's office. Told her to get me some vials. She chuckled, "You know that means you will have to inject yourself, right?"
I told her yeah, that's what my homies are recommending... Oh, and syringes are considered over-the-counter, and therefore are not covered. 🤷‍♂️

OP
Stites

Stites

Kawapuke in training
Nope leave it combined my friend it may help someone else.

The injection is not big deal at all. I shoot in the gluteus and the fucking needles are so sharp you don’t even feel it. I can not muster the strength to give myself an injection in the thigh yet

Terry_Schiavo

I spoke with one of the nurses at my doctor's office. Told her to get me some vials. She chuckled, "You know that means you will have to inject yourself, right?"
I told her yeah, that's what my homies are recommending... Oh, and syringes are considered over-the-counter, and therefore are not covered. 🤷‍♂️.
Doesnt mean you wont need a script for them. I cant tell you how many pharmacies refused to sell me pen needles. Fucking pen needles :rolleyes:
Cant even buy the full strength claritin w/o an anal probe & background check. Wont even get into trying to buy a cpap...lol

Terry_Schiavo

The injection is not big deal at all. I shoot in the gluteus and the fucking needles are so sharp you don’t even feel it. I can not muster the strength to give myself an injection in the thigh yet
gluteus what?? Ill make sure you feel an injection... :D Watch for the red signs... SUPRISE!!

WARREN

BAMF+
refuse gels,patches or pills....injectable ONLY.
the gear needed to pin test is cheap. the smaller the syringe, the easier the push.

if they are going to continue testing you before giving the green light DO NOT TEST IN THE MORNING( even though they will tell you to).....test as late in the day as possible.
free testosterone is highest in the a.m. and decreases through the day...... don't get shit kicked by an "ok" level at 9 a.m. that has you in the basement by 3 p.m.

fight for it, cause LOTS of gp's are just that, general practitioners, they don't know sweet fuck all about endo work.

just my opinion

OP
Stites

Stites

Kawapuke in training
refuse gels,patches or pills....injectable ONLY.
the gear needed to pin test is cheap. the smaller the syringe, the easier the push.

if they are going to continue testing you before giving the green light DO NOT TEST IN THE MORNING( even though they will tell you to).....test as late in the day as possible.
free testosterone is highest in the a.m. and decreases through the day...... don't get shit kicked by an "ok" level at 9 a.m. that has you in the basement by 3 p.m.

fight for it, cause LOTS of gp's are just that, general practitioners, they don't know sweet fuck all about endo work.

just my opinion
Agreed on the afternoon basement after a days worth of activity

• Red

bikefrk

Two Wheels. Any Surface.

The majority of my multiple daily insulin injections are in my thighs. Suck it up. How big is the T needle?

OP
Stites

Stites

Kawapuke in training
The majority of my multiple daily insulin injections are in my thighs. Suck it up. How big is the T needle?
19 or 22 can’t remember which of this is the small one and which one is the big one

• Red

Vegas12

BAMF+
Stites Stites I can start my own thread if you'd prefer. Otherwise, I think it makes sense to keep these topics combined. :up:

Meanwhile, I learned that supplements are covered by my insurance but require prior authorization (doctor needs to call pharmacy and answer some questions, which I assume are geared to find an excuse to not cover it).

Also learned that my T has dropped by 100 since 2012, and it wasn't particularly high then!

I told her yeah, that's what my homies are recommending... Oh, and syringes are considered over-the-counter, and therefore are not covered. 🤷‍♂️

Syringes are <$.25 each.....and they're not Rx, at least here.

Vegas12

BAMF+
So I use 22 gauge and don’t feel them at all.

22 is small....I use a 20g when administering an IV in the hand.

14g starts getting big....those go in the AC. (inside elbow)

The reason John uses a 31 is he's going Sub Q instead of IM.

Look into the Sub Q route....just pinch some belly and go in at a 45*.......you feel NOTHING and it's as effective AFAIK.

The only problem will be drawing the T with the smaller needle.....if you are going to use the bigger needle, you might as well just stick yourself instead of changing them out.

OP
Stites

Stites

Kawapuke in training
22 is small....I use a 20g when administering an IV in the hand.

14g starts getting big....those go in the AC. (inside elbow)

The reason John uses a 31 is he's going Sub Q instead of IM.

Look into the Sub Q route....just pinch some belly and go in at a 45*.......you feel NOTHING and it's as effective AFAIK.

The only problem will be drawing the T with the smaller needle.....if you are going to use the bigger needle, you might as well just stick yourself instead of changing them out.
I pull the T with 19 and inject with 22

Top Bottom