Bought a new project mini-bike 2020 Benelli TNT 135

So decided to look for something new a new project for mini-bike, picked this up for $3,650 OTD, already bought my exhaust system and going to get a Aracer ECM for it, Got new tires Michelin's 140/70-12 for the rears and 120/70-12 for the front.

What I like about this mini-moto is it has OEM 5 speed, external oil cooler, engine fins sit up right compared to the grom for better cooling. It looks cool and what the heck I like the color in white. Picking it up tomorrow $3,650 OTD, and I went to Fremont cycle and they wanted $3,900 OTD. Already eyeing up the wheels to be striped of black paint and paint it white.

Big bore kit is out at 150-155cc but since I already having JE Piston custom make me some Grom 181-4v forged piston, I will have them make me a set of 170cc-4v piston for this bike and I will be porting out the various stuff on the bike.

Mine will look like this one in the video.

Last edited:
OP
Cisco San Jose
Best of luck on the new project!
thanks it's hard getting after market parts for this new project esp selling into Calif, only way around it is I'm buying stuff from Europe "UK" which is cheaper than USA and shipped to my house and my friend who racers Groms will get me some parts by-passing for sale in California rejection.

I need to take the engine a part to look at the connecting rod thickness to see if it can handle a 170cc piston since that would be the limiting factor with out the rod snapping.

Can't wait to get my hands on the head to do some porting, I might just buy a spare head and do the porting and stuff on that head.

OP
Cisco San Jose
that crower cam was expensive, but hey, if you want good stuff esp American made you got to pay. Just ordered it since Steady garage will not take orders from California residents

Truth

Busa Riding Old Bass
Titanium passenger pegs forged from Thor's hammer? They are necessary for hauling fat bitches down the freeway😁

Enjoy the new project man👍

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com
now that's eyetalian...

When Giulia Buitoni pawned her necklace to pay for her first pasta machine back in 1827, she had no idea that her recipes would one day be enjoyed by people all over the world. But through tireless inventiveness and an unwavering commitment to exceptional ingredients, that’s exactly what happened.

sadly...
i have had worse...
the real secret is the water... anyone can get good durham semolina flour...

but mix it with shit water and you get shit...

OP
Cisco San Jose
good for You Cisco... i was looking at the TNT ... looks like fun!

them eyetalians do make some cool stuff!

ride the hell out of it and be safe Bro!
It is a Italian design but the Chinese bought the rights to build it along with the SSR style mini-bike which uses carb instead of F/I

The reason I like this mini is that it already comes with a 5 speed transmission, it comes with all LED lights, it comes with a external oil cooler, the engine fins are pointed in the correct direction for cooling.

I already have a Lipo battery to replace the stock battery. I will be taking pic as I slowly mod it to my taste and specs.

I have a old rack that I took off the grom and will be seeing if I can re-design the mount bracket to make it work on the Benelli

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
From Japanese engineering and manufacturing (Grom) to Italian engineering and Chinese manufacturing? That would make me nervous to build up, you know, Spontaneous Disassembly Syndrome.

Austin_F

BAMF+
Do you feel you have taken the grom as far as it can go, as far as modifying it goes?

Stetson

BAMF
"Chickity Chyynnna, the Chinese chicken, buy a couple Groms and your brain starts trippin'" - with apologies to the Barenaked Ladies...

Enjoy, Cisco. R&D the fuck outta it. :up:

OP
Cisco San Jose
What does JE charge you to make custom Wiseco Pistons in Ohio laser marked "JE" on the bottom?
for 4 custom made forged piston with rod pin but no rings, around $600, I have to get my own rings which I got from RIK "Riken Industrial Co-"looks like Chinese company owned". Rings are made for 63mm and the stack is Top ring .8mm second ring is also .8mm and the oil ring set is 1.5mm.

I was told that the piston pin hole on the bottom of the Takegawa piston was off-set and for them to copy that was a extra $12 and I asked them why the off-set design that takegawa decided to go by and they said it had something to do with reduced piston noise.

So ea piston will cost me between $125-225 depending what other improvement they do to get the best performance out of the engine build that I'm doing.

For this Benelli engine upgrade I think 170 or 181 cc would be the max that the Benelli OEM cylinder bored out to 60 or 63mm might be able to handle with the amount of generated heat.

As for the Grom my engine build has gone far enough for me to realize I'm just pouring money down the drain and I would be better off to get a 2020 CB300R Honda bike and just add 13-14 wheels on it and lower the 300 a bit and have a all around dependable mini-fun-take to the store-bar hop bike.

OP
Cisco San Jose
Went to Vallejo dealer called Mach 1 and James was my sales person and I guess owner of the place, had a lot of buyers in there mostly looking at dirt bikes.

in the truck

OP
Cisco San Jose
Oem battery

weight between OEM battery and lipo and size compare, OEM 5.39 lbs, Lipo 1.6 lbs with adaptor cable

Size diff

Lipo battery with spare room for the tool bag and DMV info/insurance paper

OP
Cisco San Jose
Removed OEM exhaust and installed Blackwidow exhaust from the UK

stock OEM exhaust

Compare OEM exhaust to UK BlackWidow exhaust, OEM is about 8 lbs, BlackWidow exhaust about 2.1 lbs

I did the install yesterday evening, the BlackWidow exhaust system is between 24mm at the head connection and tappers out to 35mm and at mid point it joins to a 38mm pipe that goes to the stock OEM muffler.

Next project is to paint the rear fenders metallic silver since I like the look of the rear end and order my spare cylinder, piston and head. The spare cylinder will be sent out to be resleeve at 170cc size, the head will be ported and possible valve size increase and the OEM piston and re-sized cylinder will be sent to JE pistons to make me a custom 170cc forged 4 valve piston. The reason for the stock OEM piston is so JE pistons can take the measurements of the 4v valve relief for the intake and exhaust.

So far the bike is down 10 lbs for all the DIY mods I did

Doing the Gearcommander sprocket selection setup looks like my best selection for sprockets would be with using a 140/70-12 size tire and a F/R sprocket of 17/32 and second selection is using same size 140 tire and 16/31 sprockets. So far on the market I only see 16T sprocket for the Benellli and 32T rear sprocket. I assume the 17T wasn't made because there might be some clearance problem with the sprocket and chain connection point at the crank case. I might have to take the cover off to see the clearance.

This Benelli has 1 mile on the speedo and I have not ridden it yet only started it up when I installed the lipo battery and blackwidow exhaust.

Last edited:
OP
Cisco San Jose
Jeff Leggit owned Mach 1 Motorsports or at least was a part owner. He'd race 250's in California.
The sales person and partner/owner is James Aisthorpe, who came from the East Coast joined the Marines and liked the bay area and stayed or lived in Vallejo. Mach1 Motorsports sells Honda Yamaha, KTM and odds and ends such as the Benelli TNT. Their ph number is 707-643-2548 or webiste:mach1motorsports.com

Looks like most of the customers there were off road riders or dirt bike riders, there were quit a few of them eyeing the KTM dirt bikes.

OP
Cisco San Jose
Received my Daniel Crower cam and 16T front sprocket and the Sex Machine clutch plate today.

I'm hoping to get my spare cylinder and head and piston some day.

Going to be doing some test riding tomorrow and monitoring the engine temps at the head and cylinder and check for more improvements such as installing a CCV system "oil catch can" to reduce crank case pressure. Learning from building my groms that me not checking the crank case pressure caused me a lot of failures.

OP
Cisco San Jose
So today was my first ride, impression of the Benelli TNT 135 in it's stock form, slow as molasses and the first 9 miles I felt like I could run faster than the TNT.

Wow my Grom 181-4v with all the port and polishing and hardware and time I put into feels like the Hayabusa of mini bike compare to the 2020 TNT.

I put 49 miles today from the 1 mile that showed at the dealers show room floor. My out take is 1st and 2sd gear seems useless unless you were dirt bike riding, the gearing is so low feels like a crawl taking off.

The overall fit and finish on the TNT 135 it feels like a big sports MC with out power. Since this is break in period I expected that since the Honda Grom back in 2014 did not come alive until about 800-1000 miles on the ODM.

Brakes and tire feels pretty good, the throttle cable is too loose and lots of play on the throttle. Clutch is not bad it grabs pretty good.

Rode from Levi's stadium to San Jose Japan town on Taylor street to stop off at Santo's Market to pick up some poki lunch plate and rode back to near Levi's stadium to have a lunch near some parking place and decided to ride out to Fremont to the chevy dealer to check on the status of my C8 order, same as before "Checks in the mail" "build will happen when it happens". So after that I decided to ride to the Motorcycle dealer in Fremont to see about finding out about the cost to buy a spare Benelli TNT 135 head, cylinder and piston for my upcoming BBK kit build.

Here is the TNT with painted rear fenders, i decided that the fender closes to the rear shock should be re-painted metal Green, White and Red to represent Italy, I have some ruff idea how to do the graphics for that fender.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
A guy on a Grom passed me today in an impromptu showdown along an access road.
I was cool with it, the Buddy50 is a blast to ride, and the guy was wearing a SIMONCELLI 58 shirt.

OP
Cisco San Jose
Installed my head-cylinder temp monitoring system on my Benelli tnt 135. Before I do any BBK kit or mods on the engine I like to get some kind of base line temp reading on normal riding etc. I used velcro strips on the back of the meter to make sure it stuck to the phone mouting unit.
When taking a part some of the plastic and removing the gas tank out of the way I did notice a nice vent tube on the top of the head cover so this will make it EZ for me to build a good CCV circuit for Crank Case pressure.
After about 5 minutes of warm up and testing of the meter, temps are show below. The top numbers are on the head and the bottom numbers are on the cylinder.

I had to remove the plastic and gas tank out of the way to find a good sensor point to monitor my head temp and cylinder temp

used a smartphone bar mount and velcro strips to secure the meter to the mount

found a good mounting point to monitor the head which was the vent hole for the valve cover and for the cylinder temp I used one of the mount bolts for the cam chain unit.

Testing the unit and after 5 minutes of warm up this is what I seen. Top number is the head temp and bottom number the cylinder

OP
Cisco San Jose
good stuff Cisco, looks like you're having fun :up:
hey Maui, I've been on almost everyday with Andy Bumatai who does a Daily Pigeon youtube podcast show 3:30pm Hawaiian time and 6:30ph Calif time and it's just a pod cast were we talk stories the old Hawaiian style and he does a Holo Holo video of certain parts of the island that he shows mostly for the people that moved away from the islands, most of the videos are on Oahu different section but he has done some on Maui and Big Island. Real good fun to talk stories and just connect with locals real time. We also have been donating to the Maui Cancer group to help out people with cancer. Anyway ride safe on Maui.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I liked Andy in the 70's more. He was cutting edge funny then. I rode on a plane next to Frank Delima once. He was also super cool. Not stuck up, unbelievably smart guy, and pretty funny too. Now when I listen to Andy his pigeon sounds forced. Like he's trying too hard which as a native speaker seems really weird. Never met him, but I know people say he's a good guy in person.

OP
Cisco San Jose
Put a pipe on that Bish...

Already got a UK pipe on it and also ordered their various muffles that is being shipped as we speak. BlackWidow exhaust system, look under the bike no CAT can and nice rumble to scare the Italian scooters

Top Bottom