Bought a MGB

RZ350

BAMF+
...actually my wife did, it's her car, I'm just the mechanic...

1978, 1800cc engine, Weber DGV w/aluminum intake, long tube header and full exhaust, lotsa new parts... Fuel tank, brakes from master cylinder to caliper/wheel cylinder, clutch master and slave and a bunch of other stuff.

One owner, never seen salt, or probably rain...

My minivan would eat it alive in any contest, but she likes it.... ;) 1008191316a.jpg

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
are those the ones that if you park them facing north they don't start?

hope she enjoys it :up:

OP
OP
RZ350

RZ350

BAMF+
I already replaced a few switches, the water pump, I'll go over all of the electrical system this winter and modernize it a few hundred years....

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
In 1978 I watched a friend of mine put a 350 chevy in one. Hauled ass, scary as hell. I think it ran a 12.1 on the little stock tires.

OP
OP
RZ350

RZ350

BAMF+
I was looking at aluminum LS engines, would fit no problem, weighs almost the same as that tractor engine that's in there, and 500 HP... :) My wife likes it the way it is, I'll find a '64 Chevelle to play with for myself.

RobBase

BAMF
My best friend in junior high loved those cars. I "had" to remember the correct designations
such as it not being an "MG", but an "MG-MGBTC" or an "MG-MGBTD" or some other such lettering.
Anyway, RZ,.....here's a little inspiration for you.

Team222

BAMF
She looks great in it, her smile says it all.

Someone got laid last night, ride the wave while it's rolling baby!

pimpslayer

BAMF+
I've never hit a woman.

But....if my wife came home with an old British sports car, I can't say what I might do.

I'm sure there are BRG Miatas out there...

Hope it doesn't give you any problems and she has fun with it.

Buddy of mine has his late Dad's '54 MGTC. He wanted to have it restored so we talked to some MG guys about doing it. They said he'd spend around $30K on the restoration and it would be worth $18K when done.

Hope you have better luck.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
That's a great looking "B". The right color, too!
I'm fairly jealous.

Someday I'll own the smaller MG "Midget" and stuff a Hayabusa engine into it.
The B can obviously handle more HP and larger engines with its more stout chassis. Comparatively speaking, anyhow.

Please post more pix when you can. :up:

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Yeah, please turn this into a B Blog with all your future wrenching.
I wanna stay tuned in. :up:

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I can't believe MG is still in business! But, they are like the Indians built by Polaris, the current MG's are made by the Chinks, not MG at all.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
I can't believe MG is still in business! But, they are like the Indians built by Polaris, the current MG's are made by the Chinks, not MG at all.
The build quality doubtless improved!
Keeping that MGB running shouldn't be much harder than keeping a lawn tractor going. I'd guess the headers and Weber make it sound a bunch better than stock.:up:

luckystrike

Preferred pronouns: they, them, your excellencies
Website
lemonparty.org
Buddy of mine has his late Dad's '54 MGTC. He wanted to have it restored so we talked to some MG guys about doing it. They said he'd spend around $30K on the restoration and it would be worth $18K when done.

Hope you have better luck.
How does one put a price on a fathers car? Fuck the $18K valuation, in my books if it were my old man's car it's priceless AFAIC

busa10

BAMF
When I was in high school in Chicago my neighbor had a MG TC he was restoring. He was carjacked driving his new Tbird, kidnapped and killed when the MG was half assembled. He was a gear head and a good guy. His Mom asked me to put his car together so she could sell it. I put it together and drove it for a little while before she sold it. Right hand drive. The body parts were already done and painted. Yellow body, black fenders front and back, black tank in the back. It looked cool. Here's a picture of what they were. I remember he had motorcycle tires on those wire wheels.

MGTC-10.jpg

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
The electrics are fine. There's not much on them to go wrong and the cars are as reliable as anything else from that era and very easy to work on. Every part is readily available, even for the older chrome bumper and wire wheels versions. Parts that had issues are pretty much improved to a point now where their replacements don't.

Electronic ignition systems are a popular and common upgrade.

The engines respond very well to tuning and MG made a 3.5 litre aluminium V8 version with the Rover V8 (a Buick boat engine), an engine so good it it lasted even longer in production that the MGB. And there are shed loads of work you can do to the V8.

The issue is not reliability or electrics or other mechanical but rust. But the cars are a delight to work on and very cheap to maintain and restore...

wormser77

BAMF
I've always thought a nasty triple 2 stroke water craft motor would be wicked in either a mg or first gen mr2:afro:

Those mg's definately have a classic look👍

Had a pos fiat 124, in 2 years only drove it a handful of times:vampire2:

BilletMan

BAMF+
Sure, limit the engine's output to 15 hp per cylinder and it's groovy....

I always hear my Slants are going to have crank trouble because they only have 4 mains. I've spun mine 7200 on a burnout, normally shift at 6500, and made almost 400 horse on the sauce. Never even nicked a main bearing yet.

My '39 F-20 Farmall only has ball bearings at the ends, no middle mains at all. Not sure I'd try to wind it 7000 though.

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
This chap is quite entertaining (he was a veterinary surgeon initially before becoming involved in TV). He has done many resto's and he is, like many, an amateur. His '**** Is Born' series are good and has covered everything form old motorcycles to helicopters... :up:

Top Bottom