Best American car of the decade. The 60's...

Mr Lucky

The Voice Of Reason...
Fuck knows why I am starting this thread, you lot couldn't make your mind up on the 50's cars.

But the 60's is important. Fast cars with big engines not limited by high fuel costs or emissions.

The Mustang arrived. Others cashed in on it's success. Is the Mustang the greatest 60's stock American car? Probably, but what do I know? I wasn't there...

Last edited:

Vegas12

BAMF+
I have a '70 (very minor differences vs a '69)...still part of 60's decade depending on who you talk to. It's a basket case.

I was watching this car hoping I could snipe it for about 1/2 of what it went for...boy was I in for a surprise.

The guy that bought it is local...I called him and he said the car should be here tomorrow morning and I'm invited. I've seriously never been more excited about a vehicle....

BaT Auction Alert: Supercharged 5.4-Liter-Powered 1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1 is ending in 30 minutes: Supercharged 5.4-Liter-Powered 1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1

Text STOP to unsubscribe from BaT text message updates.

Vegas12

BAMF+
For the 60s, I have to go with any C2 coupe.

Perfection.

S.C.
It's pretty!!

My neighbor in the 90's had some concourse, show winning '63 split window, I couldn't believe what a shit box it was to drive.....probably still better than other 60's iron.

He traded it for a Cessna 172.....we flew it into strawberry point, Utah multiple times.

I started driving there a few years ago and it took a few trips to put 2 and 2 together that it was the same place....lol!!

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
Jesus, look at how narrow those tires are.

A78-14's?
I worked in a gas station in '69, I mounted a bunch of tires and never saw anything smaller than a D78-14. I think the equivalent would have been a 6.95-14.
I remember taking worn out stock tires off an old lady's '66 Bel Air, they were 7.75-14, 2 ply rated....You could almost demount them with your bare hand once they were broke down.

NORTY

BAMF
I worked in a gas station in '69, I mounted a bunch of tires and never saw anything smaller than a D78-14. I think the equivalent would have been a 6.95-14.
I remember taking worn out stock tires off an old lady's '66 Bel Air, they were 7.75-14, 2 ply rated....You could almost demount them with your bare hand once they were broke down.
I hope you realize, I was being facetious. But still, dayummm.

NORTY

BAMF
My first car was a 67 Firebird, twins except for trim.
My parents bought it new, I bought it in 72.

Mine was Bell Telephone green, base model.
It had a Powerglide and a straight six.
Never did figure out the cubic inches, nobody knew what the hell "3.8 liter OHC" on the hood meant. 😂 😂
"3.8 litre" means 1 gallon, US.

Spelled incorrectly for those bastards that are used to seeing it wrong...

RollieFree

BAMF
Here is my 2 bits. I bought this car in 77 when I was 16. Was playing in a band making bank and had no idea about anything. My girlfriend I met in drivers Ed was a C2 corvette freak. I couldn’t give a shit but I wanted a piece of that so I bought this one. Matching numbers, hard and soft tops, 4 speed, all the good shit. I even put her name on the title. Ya I know….
I guess we had some fun. Dated through high school, college, the USMC, got married and still married 37 years on. Car is long gone but what a stupid fucking thing to do at 16…
BTW, that pic was taken parked at my high school in 77.
RF

B7F601A0-F09C-42F8-960E-28E34EC232F1.jpeg

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
Fuck knows why I am starting this thread, you lot couldn't make your mind up on the 50's cars.

But the 60's is important. Fast cars with big engines not limited by high fuel costs or emissions.

The Mustang arrived. Others cashed in on it's success. Is the Mustang the greatest 60's stock American car? Probably, but what do I know? I wasn't there...
Lucky, there is no one best car. You'll always have luxury coupes and sedans vs. muscle cars. In muscle cars you have regular production models vs. super limited almost hand built factory super stock cars.

luckystrike

he/him - Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer
Website
lemonparty.org
This decade is an easy one

Mustang

There is no argument here. The haters, if they're honest with themselves and purely objective have to admit it was the most important American car of the 60's

As far as American brands go, between the Mustang, the Ford GT and Le Mans, the 60's belonged to Ford

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
That $100k Mustang has made it home....new owner says it kicks the shit out of his C7.

He invited me over....I'm going tomorrow...I'll bring tissues.
Which $100k Mustang are you talking about?

Is it one of the cars in your picture?

I heard about a guy taking a newer GT500 and cutting all the body panels off of it. Then he grafted on fenders and panels from a late '60s Mustang to create a real sleeper out of it.

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Speaking of Mustangs, is it true that you can't pick a base model and just add a V8? Instead, you have to move up to the Mach 1 for another 25 grand?

Wretch

amazingly graceful

Edits up in the other previous posts since I'm not stuck with only my phone that I'm too blind and fat fingered to do anything on other that post text.

Dameon

BAMF+
Seriously? The Mustang? No. Probably not by a long shot.

My opinion? The 1969 Corvette ZL1.

Wikipedia said:
For the 1969 model year the ZL1 option was offered featuring an all-aluminum 427 cu in (7.0 L) big-block engine listed at 430 hp (321 kW) gross, it propelled the ZL1 through the 1/4 mile in 12.1 seconds. The option cost $4,700 (the ZL1 was a $3,010 option that consisted of aluminum cylinder block and heads on top of the $1,032.15 L88 option). Though generally believed to deliver at least 100 hp (75 kW) more, this has been proved as only rumors, proper testing of the engine revealed closer to 460 hp (343 kW) gross and net rating of only 376 hp (280 kW).

According to Motor Trend in a late 1968 road test, the Corvette ZL1 was the fastest production car ever produced (up to that time). For decades, automotive experts believed only two were built (yellow and white coupes), however Car and Driver in December 1969, revealed a third red ZL1. It was purchased by a Gulf Oil engineer who still owns and occasionally races it.
Outside of that, the 1968-1969 Corvette with the 427 tri-power.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
1964 mustang is credited with bringing the revolution there. Sure the Corvette had been around for a while, but Ford put the pony car on the market and the 60's hotrod scene exploded. It was followed by the Camaro, Dodge really didn't know where they were going, but stuffed huge engines in everything which worked more or less.

It was going good until about 70, some would say up until 1973 even which is IMO the official end of that era.

with in that time frame cars once again got heavy, cornered worse, and had less power until 1974 when everything turned to shit.

Cars were revitalized in the last 2 decades however when the big 3 noticed their market share had been taken over by EVERYONE ELSE.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
Speaking of Mustangs, is it true that you can't pick a base model and just add a V8? Instead, you have to move up to the Mach 1 for another 25 grand?
Uh....it's been like that since 1994. Only the GT got a V8 since then....

You don't need a Mach 1 or a GT500 to have fun. A GT for about $40,000.00 is a lot of car for the money.

Check CarTrader for cars in stock near you.

Last edited:

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
This is the problem with these dumbass types of threads

Skylark? Fuck off outta here

Do a survey of the general public in Europe and North America which are the cradles of the automobile Ask about iconic American cars and the Mustang will take the lion share of awareness and the Corvette a somewhat close 2nd

Few outside the US knows wtf a Skylark is, same with Camaro

Just close this stupid ass thread already

Vegas12

BAMF+
Which $100k Mustang are you talking about?

Is it one of the cars in your picture?

I heard about a guy taking a newer GT500 and cutting all the body panels off of it. Then he grafted on fenders and panels from a late '60s Mustang to create a real sleeper out of it.

Click the link in post 6....it's not the car you're thinking of.

My car has the same tubular coil over front end with a disc brake 9" from a Versailles. It will be pushrod power, however.....5.0 or a 351C 4 bolt. The 5.0 is currently ready to go. Well, someday...lol!!

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
So which makes it the greatest car, as asked by OP?

Best or most important?
Well, "best" or "greatest" are subjective terms. They mean different things to different people. Feelings count, as do numbers from drag racing, road racing, sales numbers and so on. But the greatest isn't necessarily the most significant...

But the most significant? That would have to be the car that created a new niche and spurred sales from the Big 4. Also influenced the design of other cars from them. Even influenced design of cars from around the world.

For the answer, see post # 10...

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
OP is all over the map with his choice of words

‘best’ is a very difficult question to answer

‘greatest’ ain’t much easier

most important is a much easier ? to answer and that’s what he’s asking whether he knows it or not

Top Bottom