Best American car of the decade. The 50's...

Mr Lucky

The Voice Of Reason...
I don't know much about American cars. But I know I like them. Their design influenced many other foreign manufacturers over the decades.

I want to try and find out what my fellow LABusians think is the best American car in stock form from each decade of the last century. Don't have to be the fastest. Also pickups and 4x4 stuff is not included because to me, all pickups look exactly the same and anyway, they are just vans with the backs cut off. Pickups is a different thread where I shall seek edjumakashun regarding the whats and whys of them.

I want to discuss and be teached at about American cars in the 50's and which one, if any, stands head and shoulders above the rest. I chose the 50's to start as I suspect there are many here who have lived through that period and have fond memories of the cars back then and can tell me of them 'first hand'. Also I feel that the 50's was the absolute golden age of the American motor industry. At a time when my country was still subject to rationing of fuel and food, America was striding ahead with innovation and production and it seemed like every American family really was an inclusive part of that American Dream. That is how it seemed to me at least.

American cars of the 50's. Which one was the very best, and why?

Pikchures also help me get learned about stuff...

Last edited:

Stetson

BAMF+
The most iconic American car of the 1950's is the 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air. There are others that are prettier, others that are cooler, but like it or not, good, bad or indifferent, that's just the cold, hard truth. Features include the Chevy small block V8, introduced to the market two years earlier in 1955.

1957 chevy bel air 2dr ht

Like CID, I like the '55 better, too. No tail fins. Both also came in four door versions, but that's like kissing your sister. Two doors are the way to go.

1955 Chevy Bel Air With Original 265ci Small-Block Chevy and Powerglide  Transmission

OP

Mr Lucky

The Voice Of Reason...
So are we decided then? The 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air is the American car of the 50's?

We have to agree before I can move on...

OP

Mr Lucky

The Voice Of Reason...
Well I thought we were close to shutting this one up and moving to the next decade but Vegas has fucked it up...

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
Chevy was more popular, as it was more affordable to purchase by the masses.

That 59 Caddy 2 door - it just wins since it's so over the top. Like America - unapologetically big and very bold.

Last edited:
Top Bottom