Been awhile but time for another FBD...fly,buy,drive.

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
Sitting here at the airport in San Antonio waiting for the flight to Portland, Oregon. Didn’t bring any tools this time, trying to ad more adventure to the trip :roll:

Stepped out there, buying 1973 El Camino SS. We’ll see if it’s what I expect :lol: or maybe I’ll walk.

BilletMan

Makes Chips and Rapid Conversaion
Good luck, safe travels, sir!

OP
OP
sailUSVI

sailUSVI

looks like a fun lil machine... 4x4?

hope she is what You want/expect!
It’s a proper 4X4 conversion that utilizes the original El Coolmino chassis. Chevy Blazer running gear, 383 stroker/475 HP.

I don’t care for the El Camino body attached to a truck frame.

Stetson

BAMF
Seems a little outside of the classic iron you usually seem to track down. :)

My neighbor down the road has an old 396 El Camino. I know summer has arrived when it roars past the house.

Anal Disco

BAMF
That thing looks cool as hell.

How do you handle registration to drive back if it's not a confirmed deal beforehand? Dealer plates?

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
It’s a proper 4X4 conversion that utilizes the original El Coolmino chassis. Chevy Blazer running gear, 383 stroker/475 HP.

I don’t care for the El Camino body attached to a truck frame.
Why not.. I always wanted to buy a Hearse conversion set up like that. But want a much newer donor truck then the old units I have seen.

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
He's going to go for the lap record on my dirt track. It's muddy, he might need tire chains.

OP
OP
sailUSVI

sailUSVI

That thing looks cool as hell.

How do you handle registration to drive back if it's not a confirmed deal beforehand? Dealer plates?
never done a thing, I just get in and go. Most everything I have ever done has had no plates at all or expired plates. I just say fuck it and go...

Stetson

BAMF
This thread reminded me of this old T bird I've been aware of since the early '90s. I've never seen it moved from this spot. This streetview grab is from 2011, but I went by it just a week or two ago, and she's still there.

I could probably go knock on his door if someone here just has to have it.

https://goo.gl/maps/9yVRwwXUExx

BigGar

high on placebo
At least it's painted black so it shouldn't be super hard to tell if it's a complete piece of bondo garbage.

I'll admit I'm not optimistic on this one. Looks like it probably had rust holes big enough to put your arm through, now covered up with giant fender flares. If it's really done right, then dandy. I hope you prove me wrong.

OP
OP
sailUSVI

sailUSVI

Gar, I’ll walk if it’s no good, I got a pocket full of cash and aint afraid to buy sumpin else :)

There's one in San Jose built just like that 4x4, bad ass looking truck

I like to build a older Datsun 510 station wagon 4x4 on a Datsun or Toyota 4x4 frame like the one we had when we were in the Navy station in San Diego. That was one bad ass conversion 4x4 until someone T-boned it. We use to go Holy Cross hill in San Diego and drive off the road and come back up that road just to scare tourist and young lovers parked up there. This was back in the early 1974-75 time frame.

Austin_F

BAMF+
This thread reminded me of this old T bird I've been aware of since the early '90s. I've never seen it moved from this spot. This streetview grab is from 2011, but I went by it just a week or two ago, and she's still there.

I could probably go knock on his door if someone here just has to have it.

https://goo.gl/maps/9yVRwwXUExx
that is strange. the vacuum lines holding the headlight doors shut are still holding vacuum? pretty unbelievable since even when they were new after a week the doors would be open. unless the owner pinned them shut.

and then the tires are still holding air? judging by the condition of the rims and the air in the tires i would say the car gets driven but you say it doesn't.

odd.

Stetson

BAMF
Gar, I’ll walk if it’s no good, I got a pocket full of cash and aint afraid to buy sumpin else :)
If worse comes to worst, I'm sure you can find something in the great state of Oregon to spend a pocket full of cash on... Don't try to fly home with it, though...:cool::D

that is strange. the vacuum lines holding the headlight doors shut are still holding vacuum? pretty unbelievable since even when they were new after a week the doors would be open. unless the owner pinned them shut.

and then the tires are still holding air? judging by the condition of the rims and the air in the tires i would say the car gets driven but you say it doesn't.

odd.
He might drive it to church every Sunday, for all I know. It's just always been parked there every time I drive by, which might be a couple times a year, and I've never seen it out on the road.

OP
OP
sailUSVI

sailUSVI

Thought I’d do a follow up, sitting here at the shop drinkin’ ah Corona.

Landed in Portland, shuttled to Salem and the guy meets me (70 yrs old, owned it 35 yrs) . He tells me there are a few issues :roll: He just pulled it out of his garage after sitting for years ( been down this path, it’s part of the adventure). Brakes are wack (mud in the master cylinder), exhaust leak, heater core leak (disconnected). I drive it to his little shop place and we proceed to tear into it. Take the proportioning valve and MC off and take em apart and clean em :suprise: along with 2 new wheel cylinders and replaced collapsed rear brake lines.
A day and a half later and 2 hotel stays we can’t get some of the parts (heater core). So I ask him will you give me my deposit back if I bail? He’s a good guy, I like em, he says sure.
I promptly go back to the hotel and get on Craigslist, buy a 1988 Toyota truck within an hour and drive the fella home...with a couple stops along the way the to visit some good friends :cool:
Still gonna try and buy the coolmino, I crawled all over it, it’s very will done just needs some attention from sitting. Talked to him today, he just replaced the heater core.

to be continued...

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
D00d that is a coolmino for sure.

Austin_F

BAMF+
wow, mind letting us know what you gave for the toyota? if not, thats ok.

what a great little truck.

Good luck with that thing!

Buddy of mine had a '74 Elco on a Blazer chassis back in the '80s. We did so much stupid shit in that thing (usually drunker than 40 indians) it's amazing we're still alive.

OP
OP
sailUSVI

sailUSVI

wow, mind letting us know what you gave for the toyota? if not, thats ok.

what a great little truck.
No problem, I gave him $7500 bucks for it (he was asking $9000). Original miles are 144,000, previous owner put a lot of money into it. I’m selling it right away so I can “maybe” go back for the ELCO.
I’m sick I tell ya :lol:

Last edited:

Wretch

amazingly graceful
No problem, I gave him $7500 bucks for it (he was asking $9000). Original miles are 144,000, previous owner put a lot of money into it. I’m selling it right away so I can “maybe” go back for the ELCO.
I’m sick I tell ya :lol:
Wish I could take it off your hands so I could have a matched pair. :)

I had an 86 toyota 4x4, best truck I ever had. Too bad they won't haul anything, and with mere 31 inch tires you had to have a strategy when driving on the highway (4cyl 5 speed) you'd get out powered and stuck in the right lane, or worse...holding up the left lane. They can't run with the big dogs in these days of 70mph speed limits.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Mine will do 100mph, all day long but, it has some upgrades.

255 tires too. 31's ride nice but rob the squirt out of them.

I have hauled plenty of crap with mine but, it really is more of a get around in any weather machine.

OP
OP
sailUSVI

sailUSVI

This is the 3.0 V6, 5 speed, the head and block issues were taken care of by Toyota years ago under warranty, I have the paperwork $5780 bucks for new block and heads. I ran it 70-75 mph the whole way at about 11 to 12 mpg. One stretch I did 1780 miles only stopping for gas and one rest stop for a hour, those cabs are not conducive to sleeping :screama:

Team222

BAMF
I had an 86 toyota 4x4, best truck I ever had. Too bad they won't haul anything, and with mere 31 inch tires you had to have a strategy when driving on the highway (4cyl 5 speed) you'd get out powered and stuck in the right lane, or worse...holding up the left lane. They can't run with the big dogs in these days of 70mph speed limits.
I had the Turbo, extended cab version I bought new in 86, I also ran 31's. I loved that truck.

"When it arrived in late 1985, the turbocharged 22R-TE added twenty-three horsepower, bringing the total to 135 from 112, but more importantly adding thirty-one foot pounds of torque, going from 142 to 173, made a big difference in a truck that only weighed 2800 lbs .

BigGar

high on placebo
My dad had an '86 SR5 4x4 extracab. He put 300,000 on that truck. Probably his favorite vehicle ever.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
My dad had an '86 SR5 4x4 extracab. He put 300,000 on that truck. Probably his favorite vehicle ever.
Mine is over 300,000, with some repairs/upgrades from being hammered on like these little trucks get when driven in anger.
It's got another 300,000 in it easy.

It's like I always said, if Toyota still made these trucks, I'd buy two; one for use and the other one to save as a spare.
Every part on those trucks was designed to be worked on with shortcuts/hatches/panels to facilitate removing major components.

Top Bottom