Because of Truth's recent thread... KTM 1290 Superduke GT....

Ninjaman12R

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken
I know it's ugly, and it is expensive, but I'm intrigued by it. I mean it does have luggage and "some" wind protection, heated grips, and cruise control. There is some practicality there.....😀 (I could really care less about the ride modes and TC levels)

I started out looking at 890s to fill a gap in my current lineup...... (not that I will, or need to) but just kicking ideas around ya know.

Anyone here spent any seat time on one?

A friend just bought a new 19 from Chapparal motorsports 3 weeks ago. Last weekend we did our annual Death Valley ride and he had numerous issues that really had him second guessing his decision. A couple of times it just wouldn't turn over when trying to start, then another time it started normally and the TFT screen went black immediately. Only shutting it down and restarting got it to come back on. The electronic suspension refused to change settings numerous times and the heated grips didnt work every time he tried to use them. His thought and hope is its a bad battery causing all the BS. When he purchased it he was told a new battery had been installed because original has taken a crap from sitting in showroom so long. Bet they lied.

OP
Ninjaman12R

Ninjaman12R

A friend just bought a new 19 from Chapparal motorsports 3 weeks ago. Last weekend we did our annual Death Valley ride and he had numerous issues that really had him second guessing his decision. A couple of times it just wouldn't turn over when trying to start, then another time it started normally and the TFT screen went black immediately. Only shutting it down and restarting got it to come back on. The electronic suspension refused to change settings numerous times and the heated grips didnt work every time he tried to use them. His thought and hope is its a bad battery causing all the BS. When he purchased it he was told a new battery had been installed because original has taken a crap from sitting in showroom so long. Bet they lied.
I'd be fucking sick! 😳

RobBase

BAMF
Never spent any time on a GT but I have spent over 12K miles on a 2016 R. Not one problem since I bought it new in 2015. I'll sum it up this way about the SD1290........
......ever since my first motorcycle in 1982, I've always had some criticism or found some deficiency that I would remedy with my next new bike; not enough power, pegs are too high, seating position sucks, not enough range, the quality is sort of iffy, on and on.
The 1290R, I have no complaints, needs or wish to change anything.

Last thing, if you buy one, according to Mr. Lucky, you will need a swastika arm band, knee high leather jack boots, a hitler stache, and you'll need to learn how to sing "Eine kleine nacht musik" while doing the Nazi salute.

RobBase

BAMF
Sounds like they fucked up the ground connection in some way.

OP
Ninjaman12R

Ninjaman12R

I've never really looked/read into the GT model until today, but the R model has had my attention for a good while. I think they are both ugly AF, but I can get past that. Like I said in Truth's thread, no dealer in my area on something that tech laden is a concern should I have problems.

whipit1K

BAMF
I know it's ugly, and it is expensive, but I'm intrigued by it. I mean it does have luggage and "some" wind protection, heated grips, and cruise control. There is some practicality there.....😀 (I could really care less about the ride modes and TC levels)

I started out looking at 890s to fill a gap in my current lineup...... (not that I will, or need to) but just kicking ideas around ya know.

Anyone here spent any seat time on one?
I dont think the SD GT is ugly. You should go demo a super duke. The 1290 engine, especially in the super duke R and GT is absolutely a gem. a badass machine

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+
Never spent any time on a GT but I have spent over 12K miles on a 2016 R. Not one problem since I bought it new in 2015. I'll sum it up this way about the SD1290........
......ever since my first motorcycle in 1982, I've always had some criticism or found some deficiency that I would remedy with my next new bike; not enough power, pegs are too high, seating position sucks, not enough range, the quality is sort of iffy, on and on.
The 1290R, I have no complaints, needs or wish to change anything.

Last thing, if you buy one, according to Mr. Lucky, you will need a swastika arm band, knee high leather jack boots, a hitler stache, and you'll need to learn how to sing "Eine kleine nacht musik" while doing the Nazi salute.
Well shit, I guess I'm out then. :lol:

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+
I am coming up on 60K miles on my 2017 1290 Super Adventure R- very similar engine to SD GT. The bike is a beast and I love it. Would buy another one in a second. May buy a 21 model when they become available

Tell your buddy that the bike needs a very strong battery with maximum cold cranking amps. My stock battery was just retired to one of my smaller bikes at 3.5 yrs old because it was getting slightly weak, would try to spin the engine but would occasionally hit a brick wall when coming up on TDC and the starter could not get past that point. - just stuck. No start.

I had to put the bike on its center stand , put it in a tall gear, and even then it takes great effort to manually turn the engine past TDC by turning the rear wheel. It is stout. Once I got it past TDC it fired up no problem. I rode home and ordered a WPS Firepower lithium ion battery with greater cold cranking power. starts like it should now.
great batteries, I have a smaller one for 24V starting.

whipit1K

BAMF
I am coming up on 60K miles on my 2017 1290 Super Adventure R- very similar engine to SD GT. The bike is a beast and I love it. Would buy another one in a second. May buy a 21 model when they become available

Tell your buddy that the bike needs a very strong battery with maximum cold cranking amps. My stock battery was just retired to one of my smaller bikes at 3.5 yrs old because it was getting slightly weak, would try to spin the engine but would occasionally hit a brick wall when coming up on TDC and the starter could not get past that point. - just stuck. No start.

I had to put the bike on its center stand , put it in a tall gear, and even then it takes great effort to manually turn the engine past TDC by turning the rear wheel. It is stout. Once I got it past TDC it fired up no problem. I rode home and ordered a WPS Firepower lithium ion battery with greater cold cranking power. starts like it should now.

whipit1K

BAMF
I've never really looked/read into the GT model until today, but the R model has had my attention for a good while. I think they are both ugly AF, but I can get past that. Like I said in Truth's thread, no dealer in my area on something that tech laden is a concern should I have problems.
go ride the R. It is nuts

OP
Ninjaman12R

Ninjaman12R

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
IMG-20201004-WA0062.jpg

The GT is the way I should have gone as most of my rides are over 400 miles or more. The GT is very close to the same bike as the R with just a few things different.. for a mid touring bike its not bad.. my bitch with KTM is how you need the dealer to unlock things that should just came with the bike. Second thing would be more dealers to deal with as mine Gold Coast Motorcycles have assholes in the service department.

OP
Ninjaman12R

Ninjaman12R

View attachment 46991

The GT is the way I should have gone as most of my rides are over 400 miles or more. The GT is very close to the same bike as the R with just a few things different.. for a mid touring bike its not bad.. my bitch with KTM is how you need the dealer to unlock things that should just came with the bike. Second thing would be more dealers to deal with as mine Gold Coast Motorcycles have assholes in the service department.
Yeah, the "unlocking" is bullshit. I learned about the little tidbit of fuckery when I was reading about the 890 and watching reviews....

I'm not a fan of that being a way to obtain options...😦

whipit1K

BAMF
View attachment 46991

That is a bad machine. I would love it so much if the ADV 1290's like mine came in exactly the same state of tune as the 1290R. The R model I demo'd at Eurosport Asheville made quite an impression on me...

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org
I think I might be the person who has owned a big KTM longest on this board. There’s a reason I still have my 950. (It has evolved into the 1290 engine) because nothing else puts a grin on my face like it does. Last Sunday we(a buddy and I) did a 200 mile loop and it still puts a grin on my face every time I ride it. 366DEFF0-5BA4-4A2D-90FA-C8692432E880.jpeg

Maybe if he gets a battery with more cold cranking amps it will solve his issues. But from his perspective, he just spent about $20k otd for a new bike thats giving him problems his old beater RC51 never did. Id be pissed too.

OP
Ninjaman12R

Ninjaman12R

Maybe if he gets a battery with more cold cranking amps it will solve his issues. But from his perspective, he just spent about $20k otd for a new bike thats giving him problems his old beater RC51 never did. Id be pissed too.
Yeah, like I said, I'd be pissed, and in a major way. Whatever it is I'm sure the warranty will cover it, but it sucks to start having problems right out of the gate.....😧

The SDR is all new now from chassis on up, and harder than ever to fully derestrict and get dialed in, I assume the 21 GT will be based on the same new platform, worth waiting for I think.
Personally I never saw the point in the GT, wonder what the sales numbers reflect in R to GT take rate.

OP
Ninjaman12R

Ninjaman12R

The SDR is all new now from chassis on up, and harder than ever to fully derestrict and get dialed in, I assume the 21 GT will be based on the same new platform, worth waiting for I think.
Personally I never saw the point in the GT, wonder what the sales numbers reflect in R to GT take rate.
I know that I've read it both ways as far as what guys bought, then wished they'd got the other model. I wouldn't throw rocks at either one. 👍

whipit1K

BAMF
yeah, of course. It could be a dealership issue, though. Did this bike sit on the showroom floor for two years with its battery in place? It would be degraded from sitting for sure

yeah, of course. It could be a dealership issue, though. Did this bike sit on the showroom floor for two years with its battery in place? It would be degraded from sitting for sure
And thats what he's thinking. Chapparal is a giant multi line dealer who works on everything but doesn't specialize in anything. He's taking it to the local KTM dealer here in Murrieta-Temecula. Yes, bike sat for long time on showroom floor which is more than likely the issue and although they said they installed a new battery Id bet they just charged the old one up and hoped for the best.

OP
Ninjaman12R

Ninjaman12R

And thats what he's thinking. Chapparal is a giant multi line dealer who works on everything but doesn't specialize in anything. He's taking it to the local KTM dealer here in Murrieta-Temecula. Yes, bike sat for long time on showroom floor which is more than likely the issue and although they said they installed a new battery Id bet they just charged the old one up and hoped for the best.
It'll be interesting to see what he finds out from the local dealer. 👍

whipit1K

BAMF
View attachment 46991

Shot in the dark here, but would you be interested in selling your stock SDR muffler?

Mr Lucky

The Voice Of Reason...

Lol...

whipit1K

BAMF
What year muffler are you looking for?
I have the stocker off my 2016 if you're interested.
I am pretty sure the stock SDR mufflers are all the same. If it is in nice shape I am very interested- I have had an SDR muffler on my super adventure for a few years now , it is a popular mod to shave a bunch of weight and improve looks. Flows a little better too. Well , I managed to scratch my existing muffler all up yesterday.

Very interested if its nice, do you paypal?

RobBase

BAMF
whipit1K, if you haven't already made a deal, I'll do $75 plus shipping.
I'd throw in my stock parts also, but by the time you add up the weight, the shipping would be more than they are worth.

Top Bottom