BCE and secular ASSHOLES

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
What the fuck is this BCE 'Before Common Era' nonsense?

And CE 'Common Era' instead of AD?

If progressives want to be so secular, what exactly is the event that triggers the transition from BCE to CE?

Fuck off :roll:

Jesus H Christ, it's been around since CE and now you're getting all snowflake aboot it?

Rocco

BAM
I think mad cow disease is almost the same thing. There is nothing to fix it either

tinhead

Has never named a pet
I don't remember hearing any rants over using AD, as in 1916AD.
That stood for Anno Domini, changing to Common Era was in reaction to the SPEAK ENGLISH, MOTHERFUKKER! mouth breathers who took over the government. :D

Master-Cylinder

I don't remember hearing any rants over using AD, as in 1916AD.
That stood for Anno Domini, changing to Common Era was in reaction to the SPEAK ENGLISH, MOTHERFUKKER! mouth breathers who took over the government. :D
Yep, because there was a big push to speak ancient Latin, they had to stop it.

OP
OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
Sweet chocolate Jesus on a popsicle stick, what are you guys talking about?
Replacing BC with BCE is yet another example of woke progressives, who have a stranglehold on the halls of learning, indoctrinating our kids with apologist pandering and over accommodation for the suffering of the marginalized and are slowly but surely altering if not erasing western history in favor of what they think is a more inclusive and trigger-free learning environment

These are the same people that celebrate the Prophet Mohammed while disparaging anything to do with Christianity

Death by a thousand cuts is what it is

Beware, I have a pattern of being right about these kinds of things

Up to 15 years ago I was dismissed around here over my warnings about veiled motions towards gender equality and all that shit is unfolding today

I lump this in the same category of preferred gender pronouns

I ain't no religious zealot, but fuck you if you call it a 'Holiday Tree'

Austin_F

BAMF+
We're having a 'celebration tree' with gender neutral ornaments this year in our safe space.

Bigots will call it a living room.

Up to 15 years ago I was dismissed around here over my warnings about veiled motions towards gender equality and all that shit is unfolding today
Wow, you called something that's been in motion since World War II.

And now you're hot on the tails of Common Era, which originated in 1700s because the old system was inaccurate as hell.

Quick, you should buy a lotto ticket.

OP
OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
Wow, you called something that's been in motion since World War II.

And now you're hot on the tails of Common Era, which originated in 1700s because the old system was inaccurate as hell.

Quick, you should buy a lotto ticket.
Wow, do you ever have any original content of your own to contribute and not just sit on the sidelines constantly sniping at anything that triggers you?

Wow, do you ever have any original content of your own to contribute and not just sit on the sidelines constantly sniping at anything that triggers you?
I just did:

CE originated in 1700s (not in a Berkely dorm in 2013) and is accurate.

BC/AD inaccurate. Turns out implementing a system 500 years after the fact based on the vague recollection and sloppy star charts of a Greek wino when most of us don't even remember what happened last Tuesday is not the ideal foundation for an accurate dating system.

Now everyone stopping by this low quality thread can put your hissy fit into proper historical context.

You're welcome.

OP
OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
Calendars come and go, some are more accurate than others, and there are many beyond the Gregorian and Julian

The movement from BC to BCE isn't rooted in any calendar inaccuracies and you know it

It's just more of the fucked agenda the likes of you eat up and push on everybody else

Last edited:

Master-Cylinder

OK, why don't we split the difference and use the Mayan calendar? Just have to buy one big ass rock that's good for thousands years.

OP
OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
OK, why don't we split the difference and use the Mayan calendar? Just have to buy one big ass rock that's good for thousands years.
First we need the admins to fix the board calendar since 'BC/AD is inaccurate'

All this time thinking it's 2019, we need someone to map that to CE

Shit, to think all the appointments I've missed

Personally, I'll continue to use BC/AD. People want to use BCE/CE, make it organizational matter, put it in college textbooks, go wild, I don't care. I don't see it as some attack on Christianity, as so many want to.

As I said before, this isn't new, it hit the mainstream 30 years ago, and you're just looking for dumb shit to get upset about while you fancy yourself as someone that has a crystal ball up their ass.

If I can direct your angst to something that does matter, like the constant switching from DST and back, you'd be doing something productive for once.

Get to it.

OP
OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
Oh, and you may have to excuse my search engine chops which are not on par with yours...

But BCE didn't hit the mainstream AFAIC until it entered school curriculum, which from what I can find

England and Wales introduced the CE/BCE system into the official school curriculum in 2002, and Australia followed in 2011. More and more textbooks in the United States also use CE/BCE, as well as history tests issued by the US College Board

So when you say 'hit the mainstream 30 years ago', are you referencing CE, or AD? Since one is accurate and the other is your preference...

Rolls off the tongue all nice-like and the average Joe knows what you mean. Although, I should consider BCE/CE nomenclature given the type of people it pisses off.

OP
OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
So since, in fact, BC/AD is not only accurate, but represents the exact same calendar as BCE/CE, then it's just a label change (and not whatever mumjumbo you got confused over, which was probably the adoption of the Gregorian calendar in place of the Julian which was, in fact, inaccurate as per the astronomers of the time but only persists today because the Orthodox world had issues with the Pope who mandated it)

Soooo....

What other reason for that label change could there be besides that which you dismissed, which is (and I'll quote for your convenience:

"Replacing BC with BCE is yet another example of woke progressives, who have a stranglehold on the halls of learning, indoctrinating our kids with apologist pandering and over accommodation for the suffering of the marginalized and are slowly but surely altering if not erasing western history in favor of what they think is a more inclusive and trigger-free learning environment"

OP
OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
The controversy stemmed before it became adopted by school systems.

Here's an article from 97, implying a split in academic circles prior.

B.C./A.D. or B.C.E./C.E.?

Like I said, you're decades late in the matter but a pat on the back all the same, old chap. :roll:

I'll give you a breadcrumb while I enjoy the steak and potatoes

So since, in fact, BC/AD is not only accurate, but represents the exact same calendar as BCE/CE, then it's just a label change (and not whatever mumjumbo you got confused over, which was probably the adoption of the Gregorian calendar in place of the Julian which was, in fact, inaccurate as per the astronomers of the time but only persists today because the Orthodox world had issues with the Pope who mandated it)

Soooo....

What other reason for that label change could there be besides that which you dismissed, which is (and I'll quote for your convenience:

"Replacing BC with BCE is yet another example of woke progressives, who have a stranglehold on the halls of learning, indoctrinating our kids with apologist pandering and over accommodation for the suffering of the marginalized and are slowly but surely altering if not erasing western history in favor of what they think is a more inclusive and trigger-free learning environment"
So its an attack on Christianity from amoral atheists in liberal Ivory Towers yet some liberal woke progressive in 1700s decided to come up with CE.

Right...

If you like meatless sandwiches, more power to you.

Just don't go around bragging about what a "meat and potatoes" guy you are and throwing around "vegan" as an insult when you post about how much you enjoy meatless sandwiches, that's all.

Anyway, I think vegetarian options are going to go mainstream very soon. I can read the writing on the wall and I see it becoming popular. Maybe in the near future, we can also come up with a plant based meat alternative.

Beware, I have a pattern of being right about these kinds of things

Last edited:
Top Bottom