Battery Tenders (generically speaking)

scottcolbath

BAMF+
So Costco has a three year warranty on that battery I mentioned in the "What you doing tonight?" thread. Girlfriend had to drop a whopping $4 towards the cost of a new battery, only because that is how much the price has increased since she bought it in 2020.

Anyway, I thought this would be a good time to put a tender of some sort on the car, since it doesn't get driven that much. Any suggestions on what brand/model to go with, install ideas, etc?

S.C.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I've used these for years, like the small size, wont do anything other then maintain but it does that well

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
So the battle is between CTEK and Battery Tender. Any dark horses in this race? :biggrin:

BTW, I am hoping I can just have the connector peeking through the grill, so the girlfriend can pull the plug and drive away. Or, worst case, back out with forgetting to unplug it, and let the unplugging happen "naturally". :lol:

I absolutely plan on anchoring the cord to the car, because I am 100% positive she will forget to unplug this thing.

S.C.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Does the car sit outside? Solar chargers work great. I have an Impala in the yard with a 7 year old battery that has been sitting for 4 years that will start everytime.
In the garage. It's a motherfucking Volkswagen. This is a compromise I made when we got the three car garage. She gets one bay. I get two. This fucking car does not deserve to live in a garage. I despise this car.

S.C.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I have all brands of them. If you get the NOCO, you can do any type of battery, flooded cell, AGM, Lithium ion, even 6 volt, just incase it doesn't work out with the girlfriend plugging it in when she gets home. She won't. Maybe set up a NFC deal to charge it.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
It's probably hard to go wrong with a typical battery maintainer.
If all you need is to keep a healthy battery healthy, then just get any one of the more common brands.
Buy the first one you find made in USA or a friendly country.

I've had my cheap $25 one for eight years in almost constant use and it's still going wrong.

I think fancy batteries like gel, will require a special charger?
And batteries that are heavily taxed may want a charger with fancy options.
But a standard healthy motorcycle battery that will always be on the charger... just go with whatever ships fastest.

BigGar

high on placebo
I've got mostly old Battery Tenders on cars I look after but have a few NOCO brand ones that I like.
Some of the NOCO ones have a lot of options, which are nice. 6v, 12v, 24v, AGM, Lithium, and "repair" mode that supposedly can bring an old battery back to life.
Never had much luck with that though.

Last edited:

tinhead

Has never named a pet
The Sears labeled Schumacher I had since the '80s finally gave up the ghost. Outdoors, freezing, rained on, broiling hot, it worked for 40 years.

I replaced it with the fancy dancy 3 amp SP 1356 model. Suspect it will last my lifetime.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
have a small noco one on just about every vehicle...i actually like the ones they have now that are designed to mount on the side of the battery or box or in the engine bay itself, and just have the end of the cord sticking out to plug it in. super convenient than even the alligator clips or the quick disconnect gimmick they have which still requires me to take the charger over to the car and then plug it in etc.

this is it, it was 19 bucks on prime day a few years back...

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
The Sears labeled Schumacher I had since the '80s finally gave up the ghost. Outdoors, freezing, rained on, broiling hot, it worked for 40 years.
View attachment 106357

I replaced it with the fancy dancy 3 amp SP 1356 model. Suspect it will last my lifetime.
View attachment 106358
I had a Schumacher charger older than yours. I fucked up and let the two hot leads touch. Poof. Dead. Was a great charger.

Ed

Bought a CTek when I had an Optima AGM battery in the GTO... it's still around here somewhere, but I use the BatteryMINDer 12117 and 12248 for day-to-day.

Master-Cylinder

I had a Schumacher charger older than yours. I fucked up and let the two hot leads touch. Poof. Dead. Was a great charger.
As long as you didn't melt the transformer, they are easy to fix. Used to be able to go to Rat Shack and buy the diode bridge for them. Some had a circuit breaker in them that would fail.

braindead_organdonor

unpopular opinions
I think the CTEK has locking connectors though, so you would need to change that or it will get dragged right out of the garage. Hell I'd probably do it too if I was in a hurry.
They definitely seem a higher quality than battery tender, but battery tender (or clones) are cheaper and more widely used.
For a car you would need the model above the junior.

Hapo

Dog Boy
I got this one because it works with all types of batteries. I have lithium batteries is some bikes and a lead battery in my SxS so I wanted something I could use on everything. And it was cheap :) seems to work just fine...
...this is what I'm using...

Master-Cylinder

Who has a solar trickle charger? Do you like it? What brand? What wattage? How much was it?
I have a solar charger on my mower way out in the back yard. Keep the battery charged. I have it angled so it only gets direct sun the first half of the day. Don't know what brand it is, but it's been working for years. Battery Tender makes a solar charger.

braindead_organdonor

unpopular opinions
I remember when battery tenders were heavy.
Now they don't weigh anything. In the past 20 years I've had 3 juniors but the heavy transformer style ones have long since died. They either died from hitting the floor or excessive heat from trying to maintain dying batteries.

Dragon 350

BAMF
Dolan? mentioned he had a tender go up in smoke.

Since I heard that, I don't trust them.

rumble phish

BAMF+
believe the fear with the solar chargers is that there is no real circuitry or protection for overcharging, its just going to charge until the sun goes away.
They all have charge controllers now. The cheap Chinese ones didn't when they first came out. Hell, some of the cheap Chinese ones are the same as the Tenders or the CTEK's.

CZLoco

This is the one I have on the Impala.

View attachment 106401
I bought a solar charger a lot like this a few years ago.
The idea was to place it on my Bronco dashboard to trickle charge the batteries.
For the bad assed stereo & lighting system I was going to magically install at some point really soon (at that time).

It's in a box somewhere. Never used it.
I don't get much sunlight in my garage, so it won't work too well for the motorcycle.

CZLoco

Actually, I guess I bought it for the Optima before I bought the Bronco.

Freaking seven+ years old and never used.

Top Bottom