Auto Body repair question ?

Stetson

BAMF+
Last year, the Durango was getting an oil change at the dealership when someone in the next bay over had to get out a bigger hammer for a stubborn part. He busted whatever it was loose and it flew over and put a small dent right in the front couple inches of my hood. It was small, could cover it with my thumb, but I've sold cars for less. I didn't pitch a huge bitch, and they said they had a guy that could "take care of it." I was initially skeptical, figuring it was some paintless dent removal magic they would try, and I wouldn't be happy, but it's a 8 year old wagon with 102,000 miles on it now. I waited until the next oil change was due for them to fix it, and when I got it back, found that they had got the dent out and repainted the entire hood. It looks great. Found out afterwards, but they took it to the best bodyman in town, and had him do it. They don't have their own body shop.

I always have any vehicle spotless if I'm dropping it somewhere for service. Inside, outside, no dust under the hood, no shit clinging to the underside that's going to fall in a tech's eyes, spotless. I do this as my passive/aggressive way of telling them I maintain my shit, and I will obviously notice anything you fuck up.

In your case, I'd go with whatever way wouldn't show up on a carfax report. Mopar! :up:

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Sams Club dropped a guy at work pickup truck off the lift when changing tyres on it. It fell on its side. They just told him to take it to a body shop and send him the bill. Fuck that shit, gimme a new truck! unless it's a beater, then a bump and sweep.

BigGar

high on placebo
My dealer damaged my Hellcat Redeye while doing a detail!

Do you guys think it would look better to fix and paint the local area or get a new nose cone and have that paint matched!

View attachment 72301
That should be able to be repaired perfectly and rendered undetectable. They need to completely de-trim and remove the part, then do whatever sanding and filling is necessary to repair the damaged area. Once prepped they airbrush in color and feather it out away from the repair spot. After that, lightly sand and re-clear the entire panel. Colorsand and polish as necessary and reassemble. I have fucked up nose pieces and rear bumper covers done all the time. It's usually between $1,200 and $2,000 and perfect. A far better way to go than replacing the entire nose piece as then you really have to nail the color match, or blend into the fucking hood and fenders. At that point you've got a real shit show. Where are you located?

OP

gsxrian

BAMF
That should be able to be repaired perfectly and rendered undetectable. They need to completely de-trim and remove the part, then do whatever sanding and filling is necessary to repair the damaged area. Once prepped they airbrush in color and feather it out away from the repair spot. After that, lightly sand and re-clear the entire panel. Colorsand and polish as necessary and reassemble. I have fucked up nose pieces and rear bumper covers done all the time. It's usually between $1,200 and $2,000 and perfect. A far better way to go than replacing the entire nose piece as then you really have to nail the color match, or blend into the fucking hood and fenders. At that point you've got a real shit show. Where are you located?
Tampa, FL

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I was over at my buddy's hot rod shop, he's working on some old 30's thing and had it stripped to bare metal. I was looking at all the original lead work on the body seams. Very nice. Some places it was a bit thick, others just a little skim of it.

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
I always have any vehicle spotless if I'm dropping it somewhere for service. Inside, outside, no dust under the hood, no shit clinging to the underside that's going to fall in a tech's eyes, spotless. I do this as my passive/aggressive way of telling them I maintain my shit, and I will obviously notice anything you fuck up.
Always! They know that I know that they know.

BigGar

high on placebo
Sorry to say, but white is very hard to panel match! Id recommend a spot repair (basecoat) and full panel clear.
Exactly. I'm glad we're on the same page as I'm certain that you know what you're doing far more than I do!
I just know how to make it shiny.
If he'd have shipped it to me for detailing, he probably wouldn't be in this mess! :razz: :razz: :razz:

shotlady

With a Damn Nice Rack
its been well over a month since a flying tire hit me. They cant get parts to my car. Im not spose to smoke in the rental or put smoochie in there. smoochie and i were driving a round town this morning. I was enjoying my smoke. I cant wait to get my car back. paint ifn you can. they aint got no parts.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Sorry to say, but white is very hard to panel match! Id recommend a spot repair (basecoat) and full panel clear.
What has changed about white paint in the last 30 years that makes it so difficult to panel match now?

I always loved having a white car to match over the light color metallic jobs that you could never match and had to blend.

Being two stage makes it all the easier.

braindead_organdonor

unpopular opinions
I had a spot in, re clear done on one of my orange cars and know I made the right decision.
Just like gar said, that's what an honest body man would tell you. They would have to try to blend back further.
Insurance won't even write that into quotes, they think you can paint another bumper and just pop it on too.

Top Bottom