Australian Dwellers Only Need Respond

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
well, cross that place off my list. No place for a guy who likes the throttle :mad2:

For instance the speed limits are insanely low and enforced draconianly even in pointlessly remote uninhabited areas. You will instantly lose your license.

You can't dispute a ticket. If you do, you get a record for disputing. There are lots of bizarre 1984ish things working against it.

Squidwerd

Ze Squidwerd
Website
www.snoopdogg.com
two words...

penal colony...

That makes for a thing called georgia face,,,

Georgia here in the US was a penal colony, the women can be beautiful all over except their face...

OP
Dameon

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
You’re going to join a gun clubs but guns are hard work with the rules , I used to have lots of rifles in the old days before the buyback , good luck
I'd like to have a long rifle, they sound "easier" to obtain. Handguns 9mm and smaller are also "easier". 10 round clip limit. Which is fine I guess.

that’s about 45 minutes south of me , the further north away from Sydney the cheaper , lots of vacant land on the water as well
I'm not sure on housing direction yet. There's condos to rent or buy, houses to buy, apartments to rent and land. I'm not sure about building in AU. I'm an accomplished builder in the US, but things are very different in AU.

i think it’s like everywhere if you have money & can support your self your welcome
I've heard that they don't care for US "retirees". I wouldn't be typical retiree age, but likely wouldn't be working. If it helps my chances of getting a residency, I'd work for a while.

if you scull a bottle of scotch before getting on the plane it’s closer
I usually just sleep. :lol: It's such a nutroll for me to get to LAX, I'm pretty tired by time we board for the 16 hour hop.

better weather and no cyclones which you get up north and the snow
I'm leaving hurricanes and flooding behind, so hopefully little/none of that. I think they may be getting some flooding now, but I think that's rare. Don't care for snow.

OP
Dameon

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
You will need a visa. Age plays a role- they are not looking for retirees.
Hmmm, not the first time I've heard that. If they gauge "retiree" by age, then I might squeak by. I will be careful on any paperwork not to indicate as such. "Looking for new work opportunities" will be my response.

Everything is way more expensive especially bikes. My 2012 ZX14 new was $25,700 out the door in Australia. My new 2014 in 2015 in the US was $14,995 out the door.
Yikes. I might just ship my Busa then. If I even keep it into my elder years.

Roads are not that great. The surface looks smooth but is typically bumpy as hell like someone paved a dirt road.
I can't imagine they are worse than LA (not L.A.). We have some brutal roads down here. Even the Federal/State maintained roads are pretty crappy. Not like TX roads, which are very nice.

You pay taxes in both countries unless you give up US citizenship. You can claim a deduct on your US taxes up to a point.
I'll have to ask my CPA about that. I'd really prefer to maintain US citizenship. Can you go indefinitely on permanent residence status? 5 years at a time?

You will have no credit or credit rating when you move over.
Now that's interesting. So AU doesn't use the US agencies (Equifax, TransUnion, Experian, etc.)?

Complete pain trying to meet the documentation and credit requirements for a pay phone.
Pay phone = mobile phone?

Housing is stupid expensive everywhere co pared to the US.
Along the beach (which is where I want), no doubt, but inland seems to be comparable to LA, which is a bit higher than most states. Looking at houses along Pearl Beach, just North of Sydney, $1M is the starting prices. That's pretty steep.

It is a l8ng way from anywhere. Visits back for family or friends in the States are long and expensive.
That's our biggest consideration. Wife doesn't want to leave until her parents are gone and I feel the same about my parents. Both our sets of parents were very young when we were born, so they aren't much older than us.

Sydney is more like Atlanta but in general less hot in the summer but has s9 e humidity.
We were in Sydney in January and it was perfect. LA is one of the most humid states in the US, so I am accustomed to it (actually like it).

gog246

BAM
New bikes are expensive used Busa cheap as , roads are ok yours are too good
i used to live water front apartment everything rusted, clean windscreen from salt moved 10 minutes inland big house 6 car shed on hill can just see ocean in distance and the rust a lot slower much cheaper

MR. Suzuki

Fastestest
I probably wouldn't hate living in Australia.
Some beach town of course, with surfing nearby.
And good, twisty roads.
And Koalas that will drink with me.
Brisbane is the place for me..Coolum Beach is my favorite, then Capalaba, Kangaroo Point..definitely on the East coast. I done it all in Australia and spent a few months of my life there on Holiday, Racing and business. another place I really likes was Adelaide.
Perth was OK however very expensive in my opinion. Once you leave Adelaide and get towards Port Agusta the land is very inexpensive compared to other places. Gold Coast/Surfers Paradise is the shit!

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I will probably end up in Tassie. That’s where the wife is from and her Mum has 53 hectares there for us. Build a nice little off grid place and enjoy
Will there be a party...

...and shot glasses?

No snakes in the booze though, please.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
It was but, had I not had such a head start before the bottle came out, I probably would have turn down a pull from it.

Anymore, I always look in bottles which I'm about to turn them up.

Top Bottom