Australian Dwellers Only Need Respond

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
Didn't we have a few members in Australia?

I'm gathering some practical information on life in Australia and need personalized input. I can read the Internet's all day long, so armchair quarterbacks can relax themselves. Your input isn't needed here.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
My Daughter lives in Sydney. She's not a member but I talk to her all the time if you have a specific question I'm glad to pass it along.

Vegas12

BAMF+
Didn't we have a few members in Australia?

I'm gathering some practical information on life in Australia and need personalized input. I can read the Internet's all day long, so armchair quarterbacks can relax themselves. Your input isn't needed here.

I have some buddies in Taz.....let me know if you want their email.

OP
Dameon

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
I wonder if they would have a taste of what it's like living on the mainland? Maybe because Tas is a disconnected island, they have different prices, taxes, rules, considerations.

Might not hurt if they think their knowledge could contribute. Reach out and see what they say. You can give them my email address if you still have it.

OP
Dameon

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
My Daughter lives in Sydney. She's not a member but I talk to her all the time if you have a specific question I'm glad to pass it along.
That would be awesome. Yeah, my potential destination is somewhere between Sydney and Brisbane. Unfortunately nothing specific... I can get a ton of information online, but I was hoping for first hand knowledge of general living concerns or observations.

Is she a citizen or permanent resident?

OP
Dameon

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
I’m married to an Aussie and will be retiring down there when I can. Usd is .60 to the Aust 1.00
How long did she live there? How recent did she leave?

The ratio USD-AUS is almost always in USD favor. The last two times I was there, it was about .60 to 1.00. Part of the reason I'm considering it for my final home.

gog246

BAM
I’m in Newcastle 100 miles north of Sydney travel heaps & love coming back
what specific question do you have

OP
Dameon

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
I’m in Newcastle 100 miles north of Sydney travel heaps & love coming back
what specific question do you have
General at this point. Specifics to follow as I get more familiar with the area...

1) Gun ownership seems difficult. Possible, but under reasons not to include self defense. Do you have any guns?

2) Land ownership? Taxes? Provisions for ownership?

3) Local elections? Form of local Government? Appointed or voted?

4) Reality of healthcare? I can't seem to determine if it is fully Government funded or not?

5) Were you born there or went through citizenship/resident application?

6) Benefits of one state over another? I'm considering something between Sydney and Brisbane.

Newcastle was on my watch list (maybe still), but I was focusing on something South. Wherever the property values drop enough to be "reasonable". Outside of the influence of Sydney, but not so remote I don't have healthcare and such modern conveniences within 20-30 minutes.

gog246

BAM
Guns forget it unless your security or farmer then jump hoops
if you have cash buy whatever you want are you after city or Bush heaps of coastline
voted every 4 years compulsory
healthcare almost free don’t know about non citizen but still cheap as
not born here but 50 years later, come for a visit cheap
NSW best weather 5 hours drive south your in snow 8 hours drive north you’re in the Gold Coast , great to visit but wouldn’t live there anywhere away from the 5 main cities you’re in heaven

Website
www.bikeland.org
That would be cool. Would he be receptive to an email chain? At his time discretion. I wouldn't expect a complete or timely response. This is a "in the next 5-10 years" thing. I don't do many things on a whim.

Doubtful - he is in hiding. I can pass your questions on to him. He relocated from Socal to there.

His reviews are mixed.

OP
Dameon

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
Good stuff! Thanks for the response.

Guns forget it unless your security or farmer then jump hoops
What constitutes a farmer? The US equivalent of an LLC or INC? I own a legal farm in the US now, so I could see about adding an Aus "branch"?

if you have cash buy whatever you want are you after city or Bush heaps of coastline
It would likely be cash unless interest rates on loans are cheaper than what I can create in investments. I'm looking for coastline and I mean ON the coast. Nothing but sand between me and the water. Something like Pearl Beach between Sydney and Brisbane.

AusCoast1.jpg

healthcare almost free don’t know about non citizen but still cheap as
I would start (by requirement) with a 5 year permanent residency apply for dual citizenship after that.

come for a visit cheap
I have, twice. First time for 3 weeks, but mostly as a tourist. Then 2 weeks as a "let's scope out for life here". I'd probably do one last visit before making the leap. It is a LONG flight from LAX and a day of hops and flights to get to LAX for me.

wouldn’t live there anywhere away from the 5 main cities you’re in heaven
Any particular reason? Or just the obvious ones... amenities, hospitals, Internet? Aus is labeled one of the safest countries in the world. How's local crime?

OP
Dameon

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
Doubtful - he is in hiding. I can pass your questions on to him. He relocated from Socal to there.

His reviews are mixed.
Okay. No questions asked. Fair enough. :lol:

Maybe some of the questions I'm asking here. I'd like a variety of responses. One person's "inconvenience" may be another's "show stopper".

gog246

BAM
You’re going to join a gun clubs but guns are hard work with the rules , I used to have lots of rifles in the old days before the buyback , good luck
that’s about 45 minutes south of me , the further north away from Sydney the cheaper , lots of vacant land on the water as well
i think it’s like everywhere if you have money & can support your self your welcome
if you scull a bottle of scotch before getting on the plane it’s closer
pretty safe except for usual areas easy to find , internet not as fast as USA but cheaper , lots of hospitals never far away better weather and no cyclones which you get up north and the snow

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
I probably wouldn't hate living in Australia.
Some beach town of course, with surfing nearby.
And good, twisty roads.
And Koalas that will drink with me.

Website
www.bikeland.org
Okay. No questions asked. Fair enough. :lol:

Maybe some of the questions I'm asking here. I'd like a variety of responses. One person's "inconvenience" may be another's "show stopper".

For instance the speed limits are insanely low and enforced draconianly even in pointlessly remote uninhabited areas. You will instantly lose your license.

You can't dispute a ticket. If you do, you get a record for disputing. There are lots of bizarre 1984ish things working against it.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
what my daughter has told me, becoming an australian citizen or immigrating to Aus is a tough deal from the US. She said she would need a sponsor. In Qwik's case if his wife is a Bus citizen then he's got the golden ticket.

She absolutely loves it there though. Currently a student so she's on a visa.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Doesn't every Australian work for China?
Make something? Made using Chinese raw material and/or finished product goes to china.
Just about everything dug out of the ground goes to China. If it's on the periodic table china takes it.
China doesn't need any IT anything from Oz. Huawei and Lenovo cover the consumer electronics.

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
The Aussies that I know who live here all say real estate prices are pretty crazy there, and dining out is very expensive. Still, once you move to a place, you learn how to effectively and affordably live there (eventually). When I first moved to Japan, everyone said how expensive it was, and that was true- after a while, I figured the place out and lived quite well within my means.

Pay close attention to visa rules, and do everything that's possible to do at the Australian consulate in the States (meaning it may be possible to obtain certain documents in both countries, but it will be easier in the US)- the more that's done before you leave, the better.

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
What are the tax ramifications of dual citizenship with Australia? You'll always be subject to taxes on foreign income over a certain amount no matter where you live if you're an American citizen, but what are the rules in OZ? Will you be taxed more than you would if you lived there on a marriage or retirement visa?

Wretch

amazingly graceful
It's the Drop Bears you have to be concerned about.

They lurk in the trees and will savage the unsuspecting at every opportunity.

gog246

BAM
A bit 1984 but that’s a good thing , lots of tracks for ride days & lots of country roads , cops go to the same spots you’ll work them out
realestate is expensive in the main cities but cheaper up the road

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
A bit 1984 but that’s a good thing , lots of tracks for ride days & lots of country roads , cops go to the same spots you’ll work them out
realestate is expensive in the main cities but cheaper up the road
Show us some pics of your area, ride and your lady?

gog246

BAM
Google Newcastle NSW 10 minutes to the beach 20 minutes in the Bush , great fishing miles of sand hills bikes 4x4 etc

Jim N

BAM
Lived there for 3 years from 2012-2015.
You will need a visa. Age plays a role- they are not looking for retirees.
Dollar was 1.25 to 1.00 when I moved there and .70 to 1 when I left. Everything is way more expensive especially bikes. My 2012 ZX14 new was $25,700 out the door in Australia. My new 2014 in 2015 in the US was $14,995 out the door. Roads are not that great. The surface looks smooth but is typically bumpy as hell like someone paved a dirt road. The surface itself is rougher and eats tires. You pay taxes in both countries unless you give up US citizenship. You can claim a deduct on your US taxes up to a point. You will have no credit or credit rating when you move over. Complete pain trying to meet the documentation and credit requirements for a pay phone. They are about 10 years behind in the cities culturally and a bit more 8n the country. They have all the latest gadgets just the culture is more conservative. Housing is stupid expensive everywhere co pared to the US. It is a l8ng way from anywhere. Visits back for family or friends in the States are long and expensive. It’s mainly rural farms with a big desert in the middle and a handful of large cities. Melbourne is like NYC for weather but without the snow. Can be brutal hot in the summer and remarkably cold in the winter. Sydney is more like Atlanta but in general less hot in the summer but has s9 e humidity. Brisbane is like Miami. Anything north of Brisbane is pretty remote and ho5 and humid most of the year. The Gold Coast is like Daytona Beach. There is less variety of everyth8ng and it costs more. Gas is more expensive. You either make a good expat or you don’t.

Top Bottom