Anyone use Costco gas station to fill up your vehicle

Since gas is still going up around here and I use Union 76 or Chevron gas and notice it's been going up to the $4.40 per gal for 91 octane and since I have a Costco Visa card I can use it at the Costco gas pump and also get points on the card. Just wondering how good the gas is compared to Union 76, etc.

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as "ill fuK anything" lucystrike
I dont know Cisco... I made $1700+ in gift certs off costcos visa last year. Maybe you should set up an ethanol testing or R&D station...lol

rumble phish

BAMF+
All gas comes out the same spigot, additives added at the time the tanker truck fills up makes the difference...at least it used to be that way.

Still is. Costco, Arco (AM/PM), Sinclair, Chevron, Union76, BP, Shell... all the same. All come from the same refineries. Any additives are added to the tanker just before it's pumped into the ground tanks at the local station(s). I've literally watched the same tanker go from an AM/PM on one corner of an intersection to the Cruisers Gas station across the street to deliver fuel.

rumble phish

BAMF+
We use Costco gas most of the time, but also use Arco (AM/PM down the street) when needed. 20+ years, never had a fuel related issue with any of our vehicles.

C. Dolan

BAMF+
The lines are too long at Costco, negating any savings on gas.

OTOH, the gas at the Indian res near Palomar, is 30 cents cheaper than any in San Diego County.

We fill up the truck and 5 to 10 five gal cans and take back to San Diego on our return from Palomar.

Regular was 3.58 yesterday, up from 3.05 last month.

No line, there.

pimpslayer

BAMF+
Ain't no Costcos on the Superslab.

I just topped up the RV puller at a couple of Pilot truck stops yesterday on the way home from Alabama.

I paid 2.10 and 2.15 for 87 regular after using my Good Sam Club discount card at the pump (5 cents off). Truck only gets 7mpg towing.

I can't afford that hi test fuel, Who do I look like? Rockefeller? :biggrin:

I buy hi test for my mowers and bikes in a bunch of 5 gallon cans. Two stations up at the county seat have Non-Ethanol gas. One is selling 87NE for 2.70 (87 ethanol reg is 2.19), but the station around the corner off the main drag has 91NE for 2.74. Mostly for the boaters at the nearby lake.

Last edited:

rumble phish

BAMF+
The lines are too long at Costco, negating any savings on gas.

OTOH, the gas at the Indian res near Palomar, is 30 cents cheaper than any in San Diego County.

We fill up the truck and 5 to 10 five gal cans and take back to San Diego on our return from Palomar.

Regular was 3.58 yesterday, up from 3.05 last month.

No line, there.

Lines art Costco?! Say it ain't so!!

The lines move much quicker than most places. because there is one way in and one way out and there are twice (at least) as many pumps as your standard I've never sat in a Costco gas line any longer than 15 minutes.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
I fill up wherever and whenever it's convenient at the time.
Don't care who it is unless it's a no-name brand or shit looking station.
I've never had problems with fuel except when filling up from a dirt station in the middle of nowhere. That's the only time I've experienced detonation issues/pinging.

Paid $2.19/gallon at a Shell yesterday

Last edited:

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I use a commercial card lock station. I see tourist pull in occasionally, they get out of thier cars, look around, cant figure out how to pay or they stick their credit card in the machine which say “no”. They usually don’t hang around much after that.

The only issue with lines is if you get stuck behind someone refueling one of the equipment service trucks with 500 gallons of off highway diesel,

I pay on average $1.50 less a gallon.

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
I use a commercial card lock station. I see tourist pull in occasionally, they get out of thier cars, look around, cant figure out how to pay or they stick their credit card in the machine which say “no”. They usually don’t hang around much after that.

The only issue with lines is if you get stuck behind someone refueling one of the equipment service trucks with 500 gallons of off highway diesel,

I pay on average $1.50 less a gallon.
My wife works for SC Fuels. They supply card locks, schools, counties, Costco... It's all the same gas.

And yeah, we get our gas at wholesale.

Dameon

BAMF
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
Don’t you have an F 450 (550?)?
I had the F550... now I have the International 4400. I have a 250 gallon drum on a stand that I have a fuel delivery service come by my place every month or so to fill up. I pump out of that. No waiting. No lines. :)

I use it for my Bobcat, tractor, truck and the occasional bonfire starter.

I have been forced, on road trips, to use a station. I loathe every minute. Every minute I have to sit there and watch some dumbass pull in on the wrong side, turn around, get out, fumble with their wallet, swipe the card a few times, realize it is a diesel pump, gather their shit and navigate from the spot. That's a "good" stop at a station. The more likely scenario is that the card swipe on the pump I decide to use is broken, maxes out at $99, no paper in receipt printer, pumps at 1gpm and on and on. Always some shit. Maybe I just have really bad luck at gas stations. Not to mention the vagrants that frequent the stations asking for hand outs. I tell them to get a job and pay their own way (as I'm looking for whether it upsets them enough to pull a knife on me). That usually runs them off.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Yeah? I laugh when some dip shit ( usually a woman of colour ) parks their gas guzzler at the charging station because it closest to the store entry and the 'lectric driver is having a stroke behind the wheel.

Dameon

BAMF
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
Yeah? I laugh when some dip shit ( usually a woman of colour ) parks their gas guzzler at the charging station because it closest to the store entry and the 'lectric driver is having a stroke behind the wheel.
I don't know where these "close to the door" EV spots are, but I've been to dozens of charging stations and they are never close to the door. The hotel in Alexandria is about the closest I've seen. The Trader Joes in Baton Rouge is about as far from the door as you can get. The Sonic in Lake Charles is pretty close, but not as close as the normal Sonic spots. :lol:

I only have a stroke when some dumbass is blocking the charger and I have no way to use the spot (from the back, side or another angle). They are marked spots and you can be towed from them by law enforcement.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I had the F550... now I have the International 4400. I have a 250 gallon drum on a stand that I have a fuel delivery service come by my place every month or so to fill up. I pump out of that. No waiting. No lines. :)

I use it for my Bobcat, tractor, truck and the occasional bonfire starter.

I have been forced, on road trips, to use a station. I loathe every minute. Every minute I have to sit there and watch some dumbass pull in on the wrong side, turn around, get out, fumble with their wallet, swipe the card a few times, realize it is a diesel pump, gather their shit and navigate from the spot. That's a "good" stop at a station. The more likely scenario is that the card swipe on the pump I decide to use is broken, maxes out at $99, no paper in receipt printer, pumps at 1gpm and on and on. Always some shit. Maybe I just have really bad luck at gas stations. Not to mention the vagrants that frequent the stations asking for hand outs. I tell them to get a job and pay their own way (as I'm looking for whether it upsets them enough to pull a knife on me). That usually runs them off.
I buy off highway diesel for my bobcat, no road tax makes is a much better deal even over the $1.50 I save over the retail locations. The card lock co also owns a shit load of retail locations here and I can hit any of them and get my commercial pricing. I know a guy here who used the off highway fuel in his truck and one of the road side inspectors hit the shredder valve on his engine while it was running, Red die in the fuel....$25k fine.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Whats the IH 4400 like? Do you sit up higher then the truck chassis like the F550's?

Austin_F

BAMF+
They can come onto your property too.

Walk right up to your truck, pop filler cap off and shove a stick in there to test.

Someone tried to get my brother in trouble that way, but if you have taxed diesel in your truck nothing happens. So not sure why the prankster even bothered.

Dameon

BAMF
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
I buy off highway diesel for my bobcat, no road tax makes is a much better deal even over the $1.50 I save over the retail locations.
Around here anyway, they only remove one of the many taxes (maybe Parish?) which doesn't change the price much. It is also not price adjusted as frequently as stations (the price they paid vs. the current market price). In the end, I didn't see the value in dealing with it all. Most of my diesel usage is my truck, which occasionally hits the road. It is plated as a farm vehicle, which would likely allow me to avoid any fines for off-road diesel, but get me a fine for driving a farm vehicle on State/Federal funded roads. Not sure how all that works. Again, path of least resistance.

I know a guy here who used the off highway fuel in his truck and one of the road side inspectors hit the shredder valve on his engine while it was running, Red die in the fuel....$25k fine.
I'm not sure what the fine is, but here they use a dip stick with a litmus-type paper on it. If it comes out red, it goes in a zip lock and to court.

Dameon

BAMF
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
Whats the IH 4400 like? Do you sit up higher then the truck chassis like the F550's?
Yes, but much higher. It's a Class 5/6 tractor, so the frame is massive. The whole cab is air ride (as are the seats), so there is "bounce" room allocated for both. I could reach the roof of my F550 standing beside it. No chance with the International. It rides like a big truck. That's about the only negative I have about it. When I'm pulling something heavy, it rides barely acceptable. It's loud, heavy, rough. I don't drive it if I can avoid it. I rode in a new 4400 and that thing rode like a dream. Very quiet, wind and engine noise minimal, and pretty smooth. It does the job and the DT466 engine mated with an Allison 6 speed auto give me (so far) a reliable setup.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
A geek with an uber-fast Tesla drives a tractor???

My profiling skills are failing miserably.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Around here anyway, they only remove one of the many taxes (maybe Parish?) which doesn't change the price much. It is also not price adjusted as frequently as stations (the price they paid vs. the current market price). In the end, I didn't see the value in dealing with it all. Most of my diesel usage is my truck, which occasionally hits the road. It is plated as a farm vehicle, which would likely allow me to avoid any fines for off-road diesel, but get me a fine for driving a farm vehicle on State/Federal funded roads. Not sure how all that works. Again, path of least resistance.
My truck was registered as a farm vehicle before. I think as long as you're on private property they cant do shit about it. I ran off highway fuel in my Humvee for years.

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF
I'm not sure I've ever heard of that happening. What's to say you ever drove on funded roads? That sounds like an easy day in court.
I would think if it's registered AND plated you would be in some hot water. Even if it's not driven on public roads.

Dameon

BAMF
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
A geek with an uber-fast Tesla drives a tractor??? My profiling skills are failing miserably.
Naw... you'd probably be spot on normally. I retired in 2007, travelled the US until 2009, came home, built a house and started a farm. Apparently I can't sit still.

I grew up in a country setting. Playing on my Commodore 64 between doing "chores". It's always been an interesting dichotomy, the ramifications of such I don't fully discuss online.

Not the norm for a single person who can: operate a Bobcat to build an MX-style track, then build the network of cameras and electronics to operate the track and get on a dirt bike and run the track. It hasn't happened yet, but I always have the plan on my list of projects.

Dameon

BAMF
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
My truck was registered as a farm vehicle before. I think as long as you're on private property they cant do shit about it. I ran off highway fuel in my Humvee for years.
My F550 was not plated as a farm vehicle and I ran an alternating diet of off-road and B100 biodiesel. I never got a second look. I don't think the fine here is anywhere near $25K.

Edit: Google search yielded some info... it would be tough to get a $25K fine here:

The fine for illegal use of dyed diesel is $10/gallon or $1,000 per violation (a tank with red diesel), whichever is greater. For instance, if 20 gallons of such fuel are revealed in your tank, the fine will be $1,000. Two such tanks will make it double. After the first violation, each repeated one will increase a penalty by $1,000 compared to previous violation, so the total amount of penalty depends on the number of violations.
I'm not sure how they determine gallons of fuel involved. Maybe look at your gas gauge and estimate based on tank size?

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF
My F550 was not plated as a farm vehicle and I ran an alternating diet of off-road and B100 biodiesel. I never got a second look. I don't think the fine here is anywhere near $25K.

Edit: Google search yielded some info... it would be tough to get a $25K fine here:

I'm not sure how they determine gallons of fuel involved. Maybe look at your gas gauge and estimate based on tank size?
you'd get off easy for sure! I'd bet they'd pump all of the illegal fuel out.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem

the guy here who got nailed was a commercial trucker. I have no idea how they calculated the fine, it's just what I heard. Maybe like you said it was only $10 per gal. and he embellished the fine.

hagrid

Human sized Loofah Pouf
ASTM has a specification for the formulation of automotive fuel and the criteria for verifying its quality. I'm sure anyone producing such fuel for public consumption must adhere to it.

Copies of the spec aren't free. If someone felt like purchasing one and giving us the cliff notes...?

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Just look up RBOB gasoline. It's a worldwide commodity, the same in AmeRica as it is in Luxembourg, Taipei, or Kinshasa.

Top Bottom