Anybody got a drone in their exhaust system they want to exorcise?

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
I wonder how that mod might work on an 80's Mustang with the 302's highway drone.

OP
OP
pimpslayer

pimpslayer

BAMF+
I wonder how that mod might work on an 80's Mustang with the 302's highway drone.
A stock one is quiet, a modded one will drone.

This would help, if not kill it.

I went looking for help with my V10 powered Superduty. The V10 had a drone from the factory that Ford killed by crimping the exhaust in a couple of places on the Y-pipe.

My truck has the good, pre-crimp pipe on it, but I have a bigger problem.

The previous owner put a fake dual exhaust on it that makes more noise. I thought it had a cat delete on it when I saw dual pipes on it, but after I bought it and brought it home I found out different. It still had the cat and muffler on it, with the noise makers stuck on the back. All the noise from the duals bounces off the front of the 5th wheel right into the cab. I was ready to burn the truck halfway to Alaska in 2017. Funny, some hillbilly in California installed it...:roll:

I want to do a cat delete and run a Big Tailpipe down the passenger side to the rear corner. But everyone on the V10 Ford forum talks about the drone from the V10 being terrible in the cab. So I've put off buying the big pipe until I found this info.

I'm lucky, I have enough room to put a huge Helmholtz under my truck if need be.

Last edited:

TurboBlew

BAMF+
Website
www.youfuckmyleftovers.com
I want to do a cat delete and run a Big Tailpipe down the passenger side to the rear corner. But everyone on the V10 Ford forum talks about the drone from the V10 being terrible in the cab. So I've put off buying the big pipe until I found this info.
I'm lucky, I have enough room to put a huge Helmholtz under my truck if need be.
A proper exhaust & muffler wont "drone". Dual exhaust also sucks ass for torque building. Pretty sure the V10s have horrid restrictions where the primarys join. Proper headers routed to a single 3.5" with a 36" muffler would net you plenty of usable torque without opening up the throttle 100% to do so.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Stupid fuck ATV owners with room temperature I.Q.'s love to add five to twenty feet of PVC pipe to their shitbag ATV in order to turn them into submarines. And of course they have running issues because the fuckers never considered the drain pipes would fuck with the airflow to the engine at certain RPM's.

BigGar

high on placebo
A proper exhaust & muffler wont "drone". Dual exhaust also sucks ass for torque building. Pretty sure the V10s have horrid restrictions where the primarys join. Proper headers routed to a single 3.5" with a 36" muffler would net you plenty of usable torque without opening up the throttle 100% to do so.
I found a nice 2003 V10 Ford crew cab for a client a few years back. The previous owner had put a Gibson exhaust on it (cat back) and it sounded just dandy (for a V10)

OP
OP
pimpslayer

pimpslayer

BAMF+
A proper exhaust & muffler wont "drone". V10s flutter between 1700-2100 rpms. Bad manifolds.
Dual exhaust also sucks ass for torque building. Don't want duals, just one big tailpipe...3 or 4"
Pretty sure the V10s have horrid restrictions where the primarys join. Uh, yeah. See the picture below. Ford crimped them in mid 2000 to stop the flutter.
Proper headers routed to a single 3.5" with a 36" muffler would net you plenty of usable torque without opening up the throttle 100% to do so. Don't want to go to headers, but the stock manifolds are horrible. See pic below.

Good stainless long tube headers are available and are easy to connect to a single muffler and tailpipe.

OP
OP
pimpslayer

pimpslayer

BAMF+
Holy shit, what's the point of that restriction on the Y-pipe?
It stopped the "flutter" in the exhaust system produced by the different harmonics of a V10 engine...with restrictive exhaust manifolds.

Crimping the pipe was cheaper than designing new exhaust manifolds. :lol:

The '99 and early 2000s didn't have the crimp, my truck is an early 2000.

Top Bottom