Anybody got a 5,000 watt resistor to check a generator with?

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I'm repairing some morons Craftsman 5,600 watt generator, guy says it only powers half his house! Yeah, that's the kind of dipshit he is!

I got it to fire up and checked the first duplex outlet with my Watt Waster space heater, no problem. Then I plugged the Watt Waster into the other duplex, nothing. I then mashed on the cheap feeling circuit breaker and the circuit kicked in. You'd think someone who was trying to run their whole house on a 5,600 watt noise maker would have tried that!:retard:

So now I want to load that bitch down. I guess I'll try everything in the house! Any ideas?

There's a generator tester at work. Its fun to load the hell outta them. That does ya no good though.

You need 4 space heaters.

your standard 220v water heater should be somewhere near 5000w

if it runs that without tripping the breaker, id imagine its ok. for good measure kick on the microwave at the same time!

before I bought a much larger gen, id run two fridges, lights, fans, tvs, and a portable ac unit on a 7kw gen. i got tired of all the bullshit running extension cords everywhere so I bought a generac 15kw portable unit to power the whole house next time!

nomad

BAMF
welder is best for that but keep in mind that not all loads are equal (as the actress said to the bishop)
Motors are inductive loads, light bulbs are resistive loads. a 1000w Inductive load is not the same as a 1000w purely resistive load.
Once the inductive surge has passed, an inuctive load can give you a measure of constant power, but the intial rushcan be many times greaeer than the constant running load.
Try a welder than has an adjustable output. get it going and then clamp a current measuring device around the feed

Website
www.bikeland.org
welder is best for that but keep in mind that not all loads are equal (as the actress said to the bishop)
Motors are inductive loads, light bulbs are resistive loads. a 1000w Inductive load is not the same as a 1000w purely resistive load.
Once the inductive surge has passed, an inuctive load can give you a measure of constant power, but the intial rushcan be many times greaeer than the constant running load.
Try a welder than has an adjustable output. get it going and then clamp a current measuring device around the feed

5k of tungsten lights is 5k of load.

Stetson

BAMF
We had one of those tiny Honda generators at deer camp this year. Running the lights, it was just idling. When you pushed the button to turn on the Keurig coffee thing, the generator took off like a truck dragging the weight sled to a full pull at the county fair!

BigHock

BAMF
I can send you a middle aged woman with an IPad, hair dryer, and electric wok. She will overload any electrical system you can possibly come up with.

She eats very little and cleans up after herself. Oh, she has a good job and her mother only visits once a year. Twice a year tops!

Please... let me know

We had one of those tiny Honda generators at deer camp this year. Running the lights, it was just idling. When you pushed the button to turn on the Keurig coffee thing, the generator took off like a truck dragging the weight sled to a full pull at the county fair!
They do that when you have them on "eco throttle" ....pretty fun eh?

pimpslayer

BAMF+
I noticed my wife's Keurig draws a lot more than my normal Mr. Coffee. And I'm making a full pot as opposed to a cup at a time. Mine just uses more over time as it's on for 5 or 6 hours.

yea, my old crappy gen wouldnt even charge the UPS the power it created was so bad.

all the inverter style generators produce nice clean power though! and as bad as HF gets for their chinese crap....those predator inverter gens are out fucking standing for the price! just as quiet as hondas!

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Don't test with anything in YOUR house.
Running something with less power than it needs can actually hurt stuff sometimes.

OP
OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

Looks like it needs new circuit breakers. I ran aboot 3,000 watts on each duplex and they both tripped the breaker after a few minutes. When you push them for a reset, they feel spongy. Now, who has those in town? I guess I could just Obama rig a couple Square D's onto it.

OP
OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

May wanna check the manual on that one. Bet you that your 5k load is cumulative across the system and to take advantage of it you'll have to make an adapter and tap into the twist lock. There's nothing wrong with the breakers. You're doing it wrong.

Each duplex has a 20 amp breaker on it. I just now measured the draw with my watt meter, it was just a tad over 2,000 watts. A 20 amp breaker should handle that. And, the breakers don't have a good feel to them.

wormser77

BAMF
I got a westinghouse 2400 watt inverter for the trailer that's quiet and a real gas sipper, you hit the ac and that thing sings!

OP
OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

20 amp breaker is good for about 17.5 amps

Then it's not a 20 amp breaker. The breaker should take a percent or five before it trips. Shit, a Federal Pacific breaker will take a couple hundred percent overload before they trip, or your house burns down.
This generator has two Sang Mao A-0701 breakers in it. They look and feel cheap. If this dumb ass has been running them to the max, they are now weakened and need to be replaced.

OP
OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

Breakers are rated for 80% of their listed value. It's just not going to work out for you. It will detail that in the manual for the generator. Additionally you can look up various derating tables in the NEC. It's why they make 24amp breakers.
I'm going to start a class action suit against false advertising.
I plugged the same load into my 20 amp garage outlet, it didn't trip.

OP
OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

I just read the specs on the link below, It says 100 percent load, no trip, takes an hour at 135% load to trip.

nomad

BAMF
I can send you a middle aged woman with an IPad, hair dryer, and electric wok. She will overload any electrical system you can possibly come up with.
rofl

Prolly the best option is just a visit to local wally world for a few elec heaters that can be returned turn them on one by one to avoid the inductive effects such as they are..

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
I'm going to start a class action suit against false advertising.
I plugged the same load into my 20 amp garage outlet, it didn't trip.
Sang Mao A-0701 breakers

Write a letter to Ivanka to have the delegation bring up your issue in the next round of Chinese trade talks.

OP
OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

theres a class action lawsuit against Home Depot for selling lumber in "nominal" sizes (2x4, 2x6, etc).
I think anyone involved in that suit should get their 1/2" to 1" stuck up their asses
There are some actual 2x4's in the rafter of my house along one section! They are rough sawn and hard as rocks. House was built in 1983 or 82.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I have one of those resistors somewhere in the shop.

It's variable and I used it to flash fields on marine gensets back when I did that regularly.

No genset should be loaded beyond 75% of it's rated output regularly or you'll have trouble.

Low voltage or high, generates heat which is never a good thing unless you are trying to keep from freezing to death.

Top Bottom