Any Vintage Go-Kart Gurus Here?

Vicious_Cycle

they/them - LABusas Road Captain
I have an old kart, no engine, rough shape but it could be worse. Not much left except frame, skinny wheels and slicks, gas tank, rear bumper, part of the steering wheel. Back in the mid or late 60's, it had two McCullough engines on it and allegedly was fast for those days. Those engines are long gone.

My plan for it was eventually to sandblast and paint it, and hang it upside down on my shop ceiling. I have all kinds of plans that never happen, and this kart is just another example, so the new plan is to get it out of my way by selling it. I'm trying to determine what make it is, and what it's worth (I always end up selling my shit too cheap...).

It has a couple distinctive parts, like the rear bumper, the half-moon gas tank mounted to the back of the seat, and maybe other things. I think it has puny little drum brakes on the rear and none on the front.

No pics at the moment, but if anyone wants to take a shot at identifying it, I will pull it out and get some pictures of it.

Terry_Schiavo

Scrap Bracket magazine cover model
i was looking at some old kart race vids from the 70s at our local City owned kart track... the rolling grid thing had me confused as you could only see the first few rows but there was at least 16 other rows beyond the fog...lol

Billy V

BAMF
I used to be a terror on those things.
Back when we were kids it used to cost .75 to ride at the jersey shore on the boardwalk.
My cousin Phil paid and had a quarter change, but no pocket to put it in.... so he put the quarter in his mouth during the ride.
At the end of the ride he stopped - but I slammed into him and he swallow the quarter..lol
----------
In Thailand they threw us out! Asked us to leave because it was more than they could handle. Lots of rubbing.

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

According to the steering wheel remnants, it's a Hoffco, maybe 1960-ish vintage?
The front bumper looks pretty distinctive. I haven't found a picture online yet that shows a rear bumper like this one (although I haven't spent much time searching...).
It has 2 motor plates and 2 switches on the dash. I'm told it had 2 McCullough engines on it and was crazy fast for the times. Picture of same bumper in the link below:
1960 Grand Nationals Rockford IL (vintagekarts.com)
What's she worth, BigGar BigGar ?

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

Needs an engine even if you mount it on the ceiling.
It would look cool enough up there as-is + an engine.

Or start at $1000 is my guess.
Oddly enough, I bought a brand new B&S Raptor engine in the mid-90's for a mini-bike project I never completed. I have a Hooker header for it too.
This kart would look pretty bad ass sandblasted and painted a candy color.
I have too much shit, too many projects, and not enough energy, so I'm gonna sell this thing. No idea what it's worth, but a grand seems rather optimistic....
The mini-bike project needs to go, too. I had (or have, if I can find them) most or all parts to complete it.

but a grand seems rather optimistic....
Well you've had it forever, what's a couple more months?
It's vintage and there is not much competition on sales.
Will weed out all the $100 guys that just want any go kart.
You could part it out for $500 maybe, that fuel tank is really cool, gotta be a couple hundred dollar item there.

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

Notice the lack of a clutch on it? That why we kick it off the stand to get going.
I can't believe I didn't notice that! I was too busy thinking about the ratios of drive sprocket (looks like about 6 teeth) to the driven sprocket (almost same diameter as tire. I guess it makes sense with no clutch and a 2-stroke engine that'll turn 12,000 rpm!
Now that I think about it, I think I was told my cart was the same set-up. I had forgotten that. I know he told me it ran on alcohol. I didn't always believe everything he told me, though...

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I can't believe I didn't notice that! I was too busy thinking about the ratios of drive sprocket (looks like about 6 teeth) to the driven sprocket (almost same diameter as tire. I guess it makes sense with no clutch and a 2-stroke engine that'll turn 12,000 rpm!
Now that I think about it, I think I was told my cart was the same set-up. I had forgotten that. I know he told me it ran on alcohol. I didn't always believe everything he told me, though...

They had a Kart track in Ellis South Dakota in the 60's. My father raced a few tymes, they ran on alky, two strokes of course. I remember this one guy crashed and ended upside down still in the Kart.
Track is no longer in use, the town has grown 1,000%. I can see an outline of the track on Google Maps, it's east of 469th Ave and south of Skunk Crick. It was pronounced Crick, not creek. The bleachers were on the south side of the track, snack bar on the south east corner of the track where that little bump out is. I haven't been there 55+ years.

BigGar

high on placebo
He put the word out to some of his kart buddies on FB with the photos but I have not heard anything since then from anyone. :(

He seemed pretty excited about it when I sent him the pics and such.

I'll circle back :)

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

Looks like I am trading the cart for four aluminum 6-lug rims with new rubber on them for my trailer.
Anyone know if the 6-lug bolt pattern and center hole size is the same between a 70's K-5 Blazer rim and a newer GMC aluminum rim?
I'm probably not that lucky... sailUSVI sailUSVI do you know? My wheel studs may be too short for these aluminum rims.

• Red
Reactions: Red

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
wish I was home at the shop I could tell ya but alas I’m East of you

Looks like I am trading the cart for four aluminum 6-lug rims with new rubber on them for my trailer.
Anyone know if the 6-lug bolt pattern and center hole size is the same between a 70's K-5 Blazer rim and a newer GMC aluminum rim?
I'm probably not that lucky... sailUSVI sailUSVI do you know? My wheel studs may be too short for these aluminum rims.

View attachment 66724

View attachment 66726

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

I guess that trade is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but not by much.
Yea, I'd have kept the frame even if I just hung it on the wall...
...shirley, it wasn't eating that much?
Thanks guys. :fu:

My trailer has dry-rotted tires that won't hold air and the rims are rusted in the bead area, which requires me to use tubes. So it's useless right now, and tires are expensive as hell. These tires I'm getting on trade allegedly are a few months old, and the rims allegedly are nearly perfect.

I'll see them tomorrow, but if they are as advertised, then I'll be getting rid of something that's useless and in the way... in exchange for something that's relatively expensive and needed. With good tires, I'll put the trailer to use immediately, moving trees and stumps across my property. Unless that kart is worth > $700, I think I'm doing well. And no one here has been able to put a price on it. 🤷‍♂️

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

I'm a bit of a hoarder... :red:
We should compare notes sometime.

I have a 30'x48' shop that I can barely walk through from one end to the other. Upstairs is 16'x48', and there is one clear path end to end. There's a 32'x12' addition that's probably worse than the two previously-mentioned rat's nests.

Oh, I can squeeze one car into my 24'x24' attached garage.

In other words, I have wayyyy too much shit!

Possessing the kart on some level maybe scratches an itch that I was never allowed to satisfy in my youth. Beyond that, it's in the fucking way. 🤷‍♂️

Wretch

amazingly graceful
We should compare notes sometime.

I have a 30'x48' shop that I can barely walk through from one end to the other. Upstairs is 16'x48', and there is one clear path end to end. There's a 32'x12' addition that's probably worse than the two previously-mentioned rat's nests.

Oh, I can squeeze one car into my 24'x24' attached garage.

In other words, I have wayyyy too much shit!

Possessing the kart on some level maybe scratches an itch that I was never allowed to satisfy in my youth. Beyond that, it's in the fucking way. 🤷‍♂️
Wall hanger to be certain, were it mine.

My large car trailer is fuckered and needs a suspension/axles/wheels worked over/replaced.
The wood floor I installed 10 years ago has rotted through as well and if it wasn't such a great frame and easy to pull, I'd have said fuckit 20 years ago.
Rare to find a trailer worth rebuilding and this is one of those.

Most of my shit is useful crap, lots of metal, a few pieces of equipment, tools and several vehicles.
There is a lot of it though.

I wish I had a 24'x24' garage and as soon as I get my back porch re-roofed and closed in, I'll have a place to keep most all of my yard care implements.
Then there'll be room for me to work in my garage without having to move 1200lbs of shit, every time I want to work on something.

I have to haul off a few items and clean up the detritus first though...
...with any luck, a good bit of it today and the rest loaded tomorrow.

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

I'm considering a small dump run tomorrow, but I have to deliver the go-kart in the morning, and the dump hours are limited on Saturday.
Plus, I have a doctor appointment this afternoon, so I'll have to find out if I'm going to live that long.

Top Bottom