Another trip....

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
Just got home last night at 10...

The trip🤪
landed at noon on Friday at the Ontario airport, East LA. The seller (Lou) picked me up in his restored 1963 mint green VW bug. Went to this privately held airport where he keeps a lot of his stuff and there “he” was ❤ I called it “tanner”. Soooo it was time to check out this truck I had just bought. The same 40 year old, original truck that I’ll climb into and make a 1750 mile run to Texas. The same one headlight out, no license plate light, no cruise control, expired plate,low speed only blower motor,exhaust leak, no dash lights at all,rough running,loud,1970’s technology single beam (that I kept on high been the whole time and at that they were barely fair) headlights.... truck.

did it break down? Fuck yes it did

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Just got home last night at 10...

The trip🤪
landed at noon on Friday at the Ontario airport, East LA. The seller (Lou) picked me up in his restored 1963 mint green VW bug. Went to this privately held airport where he keeps a lot of his stuff and there “he” was ❤ I called it “tanner”. Soooo it was time to check out this truck I had just bought. The same 40 year old, original truck that I’ll climb into and make a 1750 mile run to Texas. The same one headlight out, no license plate light, no cruise control, expired plate,low speed only blower motor,exhaust leak, no dash lights at all,rough running,loud,1970’s technology single beam (that I kept on high been the whole time and at that they were barely fair) headlights.... truck.

did it break down? Fuck yes it did
Where are you stuck?

S.C.

OP
sailUSVI

sailUSVI

I was stuck in a San Bernardino gas station parking lot for Friday night, Saturday morning. The part of town I was in was rather scummy so I stayed with the truck and froze my arse off.
I suspected the carb was the problem and did much calling around to figure out a fix. I brought zero tools on this run, just a light backpack. I found a great guy who did a great job on a carb rebuild, it was full of Carbon. The charcoal canister dumped into the carb and screwed the pooch.

BigBusa

BAMF+
What did you end up doing with the old car you got from "Browning" in conroe Texas?

Bandit Man

BAMF
I remember needing a quadrajet rebuilt.

The guy asked what it came off of and how I liked to drive. Got it back a few days later, installed it, and it was the best running quadrajet I had ever driven.

Some people just know wtf their doing.
I have always had luck rebuilding QJ carbs. I have 2 left from my truck project just sitting here now. a brand new 750 Mod Quad and a really good 800.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
The worst carburetor I ever owned was a Ford Variable Venturi. What a disaster that thing was!
Did you have the pleasure of rebuilding any of them? They might not have come out until the 80's...

GM had carbs where the needles were electrically operated. I'll have to dig out my box of GM carb tools. Always had to make sure the fuel filter in the carb body had a Nader Gate in it.

OP
sailUSVI

sailUSVI

I kept it for about a year, I got it running and driving but it had a couple of stuck valves so I sold it.

wonder what happened to Browning?

What did you end up doing with the old car you got from "Browning" in conroe Texas?

BigBusa

BAMF+
I kept it for about a year, I got it running and driving but it had a couple of stuck valves so I sold it.

wonder what happened to Browning?
Me too. He's still around. He came back to labs say hi a while ago I think.

I wrote in the dust... "bigbusa was here" on the windshield! haha

That guy that died was a crazy fucker. Did you hear the story of the secret room Browning found in the house and what was in it?!

OP
sailUSVI

sailUSVI

I have a picture of your windsheild sig :D

yes, he told me about the shit he found...not my bag :retard:

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
I found a great guy who did a great job on a carb rebuild, it was full of Carbon. The charcoal canister dumped into the carb and screwed the pooch.
I had that same crap happen to too many cars of 70's vintage, and even just a year or two old early 80's vintage back in the day. I know that pain (in the ass)!

BigBusa

BAMF+
do fucking tell donny....
Browning would remember better but this guy had bleach white, mounted skeletons of animals that he'd killed or found roadside in his bedroom. He took off the flesh, bleached the bones, put them back together somehow and made them look like a museum piece.

In the secret room (which I didn't get to see), he had home videos of a locally anesthetized (but wide awake), bound cat (probably a neighbors) being sliced open (by him) just to watch its innards at work. I'm pretty sure the cat didn't get stitched back up and live a long life after that. :eek4:

I bought a shitload of 8mm pron reel tapes for resale. On one was handwritten "13 yro girl" on it. I wouldn't be surprised if there were missing prostitutes buried in this guy's backyard.

He was just a few steps away from being a jeffrey dahmer I think. Or maybe he was worse and just hid it better?

He had a shed with actual dinosaur bones in it that he'd dug up somewhere. There were probably 50 different bones. Some vertebrae were as big as a softball. Browning said the guy would never tell anyone where he found them because he didn't want everyone out there digging. Browning told me I could take one if I didn't resell it. I'm like... thanks but WTF am I gonna do with a dinosaur bone and didn't take one.

Last edited:

Wretch

amazingly graceful
The worst carburetor I ever owned was a Ford Variable Venturi. What a disaster that thing was!
Did you have the pleasure of rebuilding any of them? They might not have come out until the 80's...
The Factory Ford version of the Predator, a large pain in my ass more than once.

The Rochester CCC Quadra-Jet was a close second.

The $200.00 worth of tools I had to buy to adjust/setup after rebuild didn't make me happy.

The kits to rebuild them were around $125.00 and the customers were never happy about that.

Take a simple device and over-complicate it for very little gain, never made sense to me.

I was happy to see TBI and Port Injection come on the scene, even with the teething problems they had.

shotlady

With a Damn Nice Rack
Browning would remember better but this guy had bleach white, mounted skeletons of animals that he'd killed or found roadside in his bedroom. He took off the flesh, bleached the bones, put them back together somehow and made them look like a museum piece.

In the secret room (which I didn't get to see), he had home videos of an anesthetized, bound cat (probably a neighbors) being sliced open (by him) just to watch its innards at work. I'm pretty sure the cat didn't get stitched back up and live a long life after that. :eek4:

I bought a shitload of 8mm pron reel tapes for resale. On one was handwritten "13 yro girl" on it. I wouldn't be surprised if there were missing prostitutes buried in this guy's backyard.

He was just a few steps away from being a jeffrey dahmer I think. Or maybe he was worse and just hid it better?

He had a shed with actual dinosaur bones in it that he'd dug up somewhere. There were probably 50 different bones. Some vertebrae were as big as a softball. Browning said the guy would never tell anyone where he found them because he didn't want everyone out there digging. Browning told me I could take one if I didn't resell it. I'm like... thanks but WTF am I gonna do with a dinosaur bone and didn't take one.

Man thats so creepy. what can you do with folks like that? Donny did browing actually move into this house is it haunted. we had a haunted house thread yrs ago. wish we could pull out the spirit board and make that one live again. my last spot was haunted as shit.

BigBusa

BAMF+
Man thats so creepy. what can you do with folks like that? Donny did browing actually move into this house is it haunted. we had a haunted house thread yrs ago. wish we could pull out the spirit board and make that one live again. my last spot was haunted as shit.
No, I believe he was just handling the estate for a friend or a distant relative or his wife's family member. It was a good 9-10 years ago so I forget.

I ran Q-Jets on my Buicks. Really pretty simple carbs. Worst thing is the float bowls are small, hard to keep them full on anything other than a stock motor.

ThermoQuads on the other hand sucked dog balls.

Top Bottom