Amsoil or Rotella?

Stites

Schiavo is my bitch
Which do you prefer? I am not trying to start an oil war just simply trying to find what Hayabusa owners feel is best?

Thanks,
Scott

02SE

BAMF
The best, Motul 300 V or Redline. Both group V Polyolester base stock oils.

Amsoil is Group IV Polyalphaolefin base stock, except for their group III highly refined petroleum oil line.

Rotella synthetic is group III highly refined petroleum oil as well.

Zrex1

BAMF+
Website
zrex1.homestead.com
Rotella always gives me poor oil analysis in my Duramax..I have found other people have the same results..I will not use the stuff..motorcraft 15-40 dino oil is better stuff..

whipit1K

BAMF
I never understood what it was about Rotella that makes people think it is a good bike oil. Is it not a diesel pickup truck oil?

Terry_Schiavo

ScrapBracket.org moderator and admins
Rotella always gives me poor oil analysis in my Duramax..I have found other people have the same results..I will not use the stuff..motorcraft 15-40 dino oil is better stuff..
what specifically comes back as "poor" in the analysis?

Terry_Schiavo

ScrapBracket.org moderator and admins
I never understood what it was about Rotella that makes people think it is a good bike oil. Is it not a diesel pickup truck oil?
yer kidding right? its not straight weight oil. If you have a fleet... makes it much easier to use 1 oil. Car, bikes, trucks, genny, lawnmower...

BigGar

high on placebo
I think if you're going to go with a one size fits all in the garage, it's probably hard to beat Rotella. I run the 15/40 in the ultra high mile SV650 and the synthetic 5/40 in burly's 45,000 mile SV. The Duramax usually gets the 5/40 or a blend of both Rotellas. I ran the Mobil1 Turbo Diesel truck oil in it once and the oil pressure would go to near zero at idle. So low that the low oil pressure warning message would come on. I wasn't really worried about it damaging anything, but didn't care for the warning beep jarring me to attention at every stoplight. Either Rotella is hard to beat for the price. For the Busa though, I run the good Motul stuff. I also run the good Motul in the KTM, as there's little more than a quart floating around in there trying to all things to all engine parts.

Gar

Last edited:

im2fast4uguys

Mr Rabbit
I've used the synthetic Rotella on my busa since it's first service ... I have no complaints ... but I'm sure amsoil is good too.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
not sure its a bright idea to use regular rotella in a duramax diesel....but thats just me.

id certainly expect some ridiculous results from an oil analysis place after doing so.

I personally use delvac in my diesel.

BigGar

high on placebo
not sure its a bright idea to use regular rotella in a duramax diesel....but thats just me.

id certainly expect some ridiculous results from an oil analysis place after doing so.

I personally use delvac in my diesel.
:-? ?:-? ?

Why would regular Rotella be different than Delvac?

Same 15/40, correct?

Why would the Duramax like the Mobil better than the Shell product?

Gar

BigGar

high on placebo
Isn't Rotella 15/40 a "dino" oil? If not, what is it? Mink oil? Bear grease? Cod Liver oil?
I truly don't know. I always thought it was just a 15/40 conventional oil, specially formulated for diesel trucks, that happened to work well in motorcycles and a lot of other things. Why is 15/40 the preferred weight for diesel usage anyway? Why can't I toss in some 10/40 and fuggedaboutit?
Not fighting with anyone here.
School me dammit!!

Gar

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
sorry, was talking about regular rotella vs the syn....I didnt think the original stuff met the requirements for going in todays modern diesels (ie the duramax/cummins etc)

Zrex1

BAMF+
Website
zrex1.homestead.com
all I know is what the lab tells me from my oil samples..I ran rotella once instead of Archer Dino 15/40 and presto all indictors when skyward..Changed back to Archer-Kendall and all is good with the world again. My guess is it would last as long as I need it too on rotella but when sampled I just cannot do it.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
yea, i really dont think the added shit in oil from todays diesels equipped with EGR and the other emissions nonsense is really good for old school diesel oils.

its highly unlikely that the fleet trucks that log millions of miles with rotella (or whatever they use) have any emissions crap on their trucks at all.

im always amazed at how quickly the oil turns from "pretty" to dark soot mixed with gas in my cummins...its crazy.

Zrex1

BAMF+
Website
zrex1.homestead.com
my oil stays really clean for 5000-6000 miles in my 02 Dmax..It is amazing..I do analysis every change.. My oil dealer always says it is the base oil that matters.

BigGar

high on placebo
I've never had a diesel that didn't turn any oil I put in it coal black within 1000 miles.

I've thought about one of those piggyback filters that has a separate electric pump that just runs constantly but separate from your engine oiling and pressure system. Supposedly keeps the oil looking near brand new almost indefinitely.

Gar

Buelligan

HOLYBAMF
I've always found it prudent to use an oil I could easily get when I needed it. If I gotta order it, I don't use it. I only use off the shelf stuff in my shit.

Makes it a lot easier when I'm on the road and need a fix.

BigGar

high on placebo
Damn Zrex1! That's clean for 1K on a diesel! My Previa used to look like that for thousands of miles. Those damn little old Toyota engines are hard to beat. I ran Castrol Syntec almost exclusively in that thing and changed the oil about every 10,000 miles. It still would look pretty damn good after 10K!

Gar

Top Bottom