A Rollie non bike post

RollieFree

BAMF
Ok so my day gig is aeronautical. More rocket shit than plane shit these days. Lots of intricate machining and welding. I’m going to post up a few pics of what it looks like to spend a year making super precise shit only to watch it explode at the flip of a switch. This is our first attempt at a liquid fuel rocket motor. It went horribly wrong taking out many months of my working life.
RF

5AF468A1-29EF-453E-9665-973EFEF01CCB.jpeg

0DA8A697-C3C9-4AF0-A11D-CEA0BDF5CAE5.jpeg

22EAF188-2E03-4EDA-9B2F-12B74674A1FA.jpeg

AD44F214-32BA-4671-A5E8-2C0F3E0AB425.jpeg

AA77B885-06D5-48C4-8A43-C8CCD134E6BB.jpeg

44E693EA-F2DC-4AD7-A73D-8432B71CD139.jpeg

936ED85A-2E47-4442-8802-FF8203322575.jpeg

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I knew one guy who could weld even better than that...this is the first time I have seen work that even looked like his...

...the poor bastard worked at Fisher Engineering welding snow plows...he learned to weld in the Navy...

...no one else there made welds like that except the robot...most of the other guys were just out of prison or off fishing boats...

...it looked like they learned to weld in China...

...he was fast too...but that didn't save his job...they fired him for missing too many days in a year...

...he had sole custody of his daughter and would be distracted from time to time...

...BV will remember this guy...LoL...!!!...

...we were at Domino's using up some coupons he had won when Rick the welder pulled in to pick up his daughter at work...

...we were basically stalking the parking lot for a bit...it was dark out...

...BV thought he was a woman and did not believe he was a dude until he came back out and you could get a good look at him from the front...

...in all fairness to BV if Rick ever went to prison he would be in a world of shit...he had long blond hair that Cousin It would envy...

...imagine this guy has a kid with a super hot hooker...she didn't want anything to do with kids or family...she was happy to sell the child to Rick...

...I thought the daughter was Chinese and related to the Chinese guy that ran the Domino's until that day...

...we all knew the young woman from going in there...she was very very hot...

...and she played roller ball...seriously...for the Rockland Rollers...

...I guess the point of this little story is that it takes more than good welding skills do do what Rollie does...

...Frank Zappa would find it boring when people went on aboot how good a musician he was...he was a composer...

Last edited:
OP
RollieFree

RollieFree

BAMF
Actually nothing I did failed. It was human error. My stuff worked but got totally destroyed nonetheless. Lots of stainless up in smoke. The force was insane. Totally warped 1” thick stuff. Measurements indicate at the time of explosion, we saw a 10,000psi shock throughout the system. Not one of my welds were so much as cracked.

One more thing here. I’ve always been a bike guy (pic on my 6th birthday…bikes) from birth. I was always a tinkerer but in 1999 I sold my home and moved to CA to work for a rich guy. I was an assembler. Never touched a machine or a welder. At that time I was 38. All my life I had worked as a designer at an engineering office with MadRussian at one point. I tossed it all with a wife and 2 young kids to go for it. A year in, rich guy got into a messy divorce, closed shop and there I was. In Groveland, CA near Yosemite, no job, no nothing. Came back to Indy to my old job, ate shit and decided to keep going. With some help from friends like my brother Yury and of course my sweet wife of 37 years now, I dusted myself off and kept pushing. I never thought at age 40 all this was ahead of me. I only wish I had 50 more years to see what I could do with it. When I croak there won’t be one useable thing left on the table.
RF

647603A8-6F13-4729-9C90-50F2B62CBA10.jpeg

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
So that's what happened to "our" satellite! :lol: Where I work now days, they program DOD "birds". Lots of WTF's on occasion. They, DOD, have some James Bond Moon Raker stuff. Skynet, here we come.

OP
RollieFree

RollieFree

BAMF
Really cool shit bro, I love this shit!! I wish I had some of your welding skills.
The welds could look better but given the fact that it’s 1” thick stainless and 3 passes coupled with the fact that the diameter has to be divided by 8 and done in short, opposing sections to balance heat, stress and all that, they can’t be beauty queens. I always say that every pretty weld isn’t a good weld and every ugly weld isn’t a bad weld.
RF

OP
RollieFree

RollieFree

BAMF
So that's what happened to "our" satellite! :lol: Where I work now days, they program DOD "birds". Lots of WTF's on occasion. They, DOD, have some James Bond Moon Raker stuff. Skynet, here we come.
I worked on a project awhile back that freaked me out. It was a mechanical pelican. It could soar and fly just like a real bird. It looked like a real fucking pelican. Other pelicans even hung with it. That thing was LOADED with surveillance shit like you can’t imagine. You could fly that thing over every naval installation snd nobody even looked twice at it. All the while that bird was signing your death warrant. People are fucked up.
RF

Hapo

Dog Boy
I just cut, shortened and welded the brake pedal in my hot rod.

I hope you're right about ugly welds... :biggrin1a:
...if he were not pretty much everything would be falling apart...

Last edited:

bikefrk

Two Wheels. Any Surface.
Great post thanks for sharing

I follow a lot of welders on IG as the work they do is incredible and I wish I had fab and welding skills

Top Bottom